1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Posness Warren or Mec?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a new reloader this christmas. I am looking in the 300 to 500 price range. I was wondering which do you think would be a better loader the MEC 9000 or the Posness Warren 800B or 800+. Thanks for your help.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"Better" is subjective; whatever meets your price and does what you want is the better loader.

If you want a new loader (as in never owned by anybody else) the 800+ is $800+. The 800 B is no longer supported by the factory so parts are whatever fits from the new ones and whatever somebody has laying around.

A new MEC 9000 will start at about $525.

I use a P-W 900. I don't find it hard to switch from formula to formula except when switching from Remingtons to AAs when I change from a 8 pt. crimp starter to the smooth cone and space down the crimp starter. The MEC does a better job at installing some primers in once-fired steel steel base hulls because it rams the hull onto the primer rather that trying to push the primer into an unsupported hole. I prefer the full length hull support of the P-W and appreciate its "rebuildability".

MK

3. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

How mechanical & handy are you? PW`s can be a handful if your not experienced or mechanical. I have 4 of them, but I am a machinist & have made upgraded parts for all 4 of my machines that had weak or problem areas. But when they are operating correctly, they make a perfect factory looking shell in any gage.
    If tinkering around is`nt your style, then I would say get the Mec, although they are much more flimsy than a PW, they make a decent looking shell for a lot less money than a PW.

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

In my limited opinion ; if you are going to be making frequent recipe changes , a P-W can be challenging but if you are going to load and load and load your favorite recipe , a P-W can be a great choice .

As previously mentioned , being a good mechanic may help with some of P-W's quirks .

Starting out with a used MEC Grabber --in good condition - - isn't a bad place to start and if you take your time , you , easily , should be able to recover your initial investment . BUT , having a Grabber on stand-by isn't a bad game-plan at all .

Charlie

5. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

In my opinion a Mec should not be mentioned in the same line as a P/W. I have owned a Dillon which was not a bad loader but had some quirks I did not like and could not fix and now own a P/W 800+ and have never looked back. P/W is a "top" of the line loader and the Mec is not even close.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I do not agree with the statement that loads are better on a PW than a MEC Grabber. It is all in the knowledge of machine set-up for the load & wad column you are using. The MEC is much easier to set up if you use different hulls & loads. I can go from a perfect paper to a perfect AA in a few minutes. MECs are also easier to remove/check a shell if you make a mistake. I would recommend a good used Grabber(not 9000)to start. You will find it easy to use & can sell it fast if you don't want it. I can afford ANY loader I want. I have used MEC for 40 years.

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I have two loads that i like. 20gr green dot, versalite wad, 1 1/8th of hard shot, and cheddite primer in a remington hull this is for handicap, my singes load is 19 gr of promo, DR xl-1 wad, 1 oz of hard shot, cheddite primer, and AA hull, either grey or red. So do you guys think it would be a problem from switching from one of these loads to the other?

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have both presses and they are both good!As far as the set up on the PW it is just like learning to drive a car and backing up with your mirrors only!You have to use it and LEARN how to make the changes.It is not hard to do and you can still get parts for the 800-B.I would go with an 800-B from ebay for around 300 bucks and be patient with the learning curve.Keep notes when you make changes and it will help you greatly.The main thing when loading is to keep your eye on the primer drop! This is true with both presses.Don't try to go to fast for your ability or you will have problems.Good Luck PJ

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

tuscarora 99, I use about the same reloads as you. I load on my modified MEC 9000H and use complete head assemblies to make the switch in seconds for loading other loads. I have 4 complete heads I can change out in seconds with two identical machines. Hap

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've had 3 P/W loaders in the past. I have zero now but I do have 5 MECs.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

The PW is clearly a stronger built machine. I believe they are superior to MEC reloaders, but either one will do a good job for you.

Pat Ireland

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a 800B for my .410's that been good to my for a lot of years. I just got a 800+ for my 12ga and I have a MEC 9000GN 12ga. The PW is a heavy reloader and not as easy to work with as the MEC. What I like about the MEC is it can have a Universal charge bar. This make changing recipe easyer then the PW. Both are very good. But the MEC wins for being easyer to use.

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Sold my PW 800B, sold my Mec Grabber, bought a new Mec 9000 with the giant primer tray. Love it. Changing your loads is soooooo much easier on a Mec.

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

A used 800+ can be had within your price range. I have both an 800B and an 800+. The B requires draining shot and powder to change bushings, but the plus can be changed easily and quickly by removing two plugs, lifting the bushings out and replacing them with your new load. I can do it in less than a minute. As far as different hulls go, I get nice loads with all three in the turret at the same time.

One other comment. I use Promo for both sixteen and hcp....the same load and it works great. A Cheddite 209, 18gr. Promo, DRWJ wad and 1 1/8 oz. of 8's. in an old AA or Rem. It's soft shooting and fast. Oh, I'm a 27 yd. shooter.

Buz

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

tuscarora 99, You shouldn't have to make any changes to the machine IF the components are correct for the hull you are using. I load AA's and anything Rem on a PW2000 with no changes. Primers all seat flush with the brass, no need for changes there. But I only load standard light target loads.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Buz- I am a big PW fan, but I am not a big fan of the two plugs that are designed to remove the shot/powder bushings. They have never worked well for me. Because you and I like our PW machines, lets keep quite about what happens after you drain the shot and forget to move the lever back. All PW owners know about this trick.

Pat Ireland

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you have the new EZ-Fill Hopper, you do not need to drain shot or power to change bushing. Simply top the top caps and pull out the bushings, using the accompanying brush and handle.

Pat: Pull the Rack Gear towards you a tad bit and the bushing are even more accessible. What I have found, however, is that if the bushing are hard to pull up, I hone-out the black plastic gear so the bushings easily slide in and out. Also, the factory is now selling gears with large o-rings which aid in the reduction of migrating powder with the new very fine granular powders.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsess warren vs mec

ponsness warren or mec