1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Posness Warren 800plus .410

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bobsmith, Dec 9, 2016.

1. bobsmith

bobsmith Member

Does anyone use one of these? If so what are your experiences......thanks

2. jamitchbikes1

jamitchbikes1 TS Member

I at one time had one, never really got consistent results like with the 12. My reloading experience is limited and I eventually sold it.

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

I like mine.

4. mjtripper

mjtripper Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

On paper it looks like it would be great for 410, I've been thinking about it as well.

5. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I load around 3-4000 410s a year on a P-W 900. I like mine. Mine runs on hydraulics and with good hulls loas as faxt as the other gauges.

6. jamitchbikes1

jamitchbikes1 TS Member

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, like I said I have limited experience and patience.

7. claynut

claynut TS Member

I likke mine also. I just need to be a little slower pulling lever to make sure everything is in place.

8. skeeter88

skeeter88 Member

If you can try one before you buy.

9. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Been loading on one for better then 10years. Key is to slow down and pay attention. Observe your shell thru the process and be sure you are getting a good intial crimp. You are not going to get the same shells/hr as with the other gauges. But you are going to save at least $5/ 25. I like mine very much. I have only had a few issues but, any prolems I have encountered have been my fault not the machine. I have found if you will push the empty shell up into the shell holder instead of letting the press base come down to the empty, you will avoid quite a few damaged hulls. Damaged hulls create several issues in various stages of the 410 loading process. As you become more comfortable your shell count will increase. JMO

Regards, Joe

2skeet thanked this.
  10. 2skeet

2skeet Active Member

I agree Joe. Pushing the empty into the shell holder by hand prevents a lot of problems. Also slowing down, your not going to get speed or the smooth flow you get with the 12 or 20ga. One thing I found that really helps is keeping the shell dies clean and lubricated. The only real gripe I have is I use H110 and it is so fine that it leaks around the top and bottom of the bushing and ends up causing the bushing holder to start dragging when you cycle the handle.

11. claynut

claynut TS Member

I replaced my base with the newer style like skeel makes. I use H110 and it reuced the leakage alot.

gailmk67 thanked this.
  12. Smithy47

Smithy47 Active Member

I have a PW 800+ that I bought all the gauge sets for. It is set up with the electric drive (I just love it). The 410 is a pain to reload on the PW, as said above, you need to go slow, push the hull up into the die to avoid crushing it. The other thing I found out was that it did not reload multi-fired hulls very well. It would to collapse them as the plastic tends to get weak at the base. I fixed this by boring .010" from the inside, top of the dies. I know that PW's claim to fame is that they size the entire hull to new hull dimensions but my MEC grabber does not size the plastic at all. I can now load my 410's until they split at the top enough to not hold shot any more. BTW, I also opened up the 28ga dies as well. They load much better now also. Regards, Bob

13. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

I have often wondered how well the "Skeel" base improves the powder leakage associated with the ball powders. I use W296 and experience the same issues but never have noticed the shell plate drag. Sounds like it may be worth the investment. Thanks for the tip Claynut!

Smithy- any splits in the hulls I notice and they're quickly disguarded. About 3 loads on a AAHS hull is my max. Some I could push to a few more but don't. Any more then that creates unnecessary problems for me. The savings is so substantial in loading a 410 that it allows me to justify 1 in 4 to be a new shell. Seems easy to duplicate factory 410 loads (AAHS) for both Skeet and Sporting Clays.

Bottom line- PW 800+ was well worth the investment for me.

Joe

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have a 900 4/10 and like it. I do not use it with an autodrive like my 12 gauge because the 4/10 I like to just move the handle a bit slower and keep an eye on everything. I load 1000 to 1500 with it a year. I will say the only hickups I have had is on rare occassion the 9 shot will plug. I dont know how but it will...its a dam small hole to funnel through.

*edit, to address the hull getting caught on initial post this is true. The 4/10 is such a small "wobbly" hull that if you are using a auto drive or going fast it can tilt and catch the bottom of the die. This is why I just go slow and keep an eye on it. works fine, just have to pay more attention to the details.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

mike-sid thanked this.
  16. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

What type of motor does that auto drive use? Some kind of stepper motor? That's a great setup you have, thanks for sharing, I love videos:1syellow1:

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The motor and gearbox are made in Japan. High quality. The motor stops almost instantly when you let go of the control with no coasting. It is very easy to stop the loader at the top and bottom of the cycle.

mike-sid thanked this.
  18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Smooth set up...BUT I see you have deprimed all your hulls first. This aids in securing the 4/10 is straight on the base.

19. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

My buddy has a magnet on the 1st stage to make sure the hull is in place. Adding another step would not appeal to me.

20. MDshotgunner

MDshotgunner Active Member