1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ports and cheek slap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I just got a new dedicated trap gun. It is an SKB unsingle. I normally shoot an SKB sporting. Both guns are 85TSS's with parallel combs. The new unsingle is ported. My cheek gets slapped with the new gun. I am trying to figure out if it is gun fit or if the ports can be pushing the barrel down and the stock up into my face. Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have two guns that are ported, an MX-8 & a Beretta 390, & I don't experience cheek slap with either one. The likely culprit might be the stock pitch. Assuming your sporting clays guns doesn't slap you, compare the two & see if there is any difference in the pitch. John

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The ports have absolutely nothing to do with it. Gun fit has everything to do with it. As informed above, the pitch angle is the most likely fit issue.

4. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

It's all in the pitch. Experiment with shims both ways (positive and negative) and you'll find the answer.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are the porting holes metric? If so, they tend to slap Americans.

-Gary

6. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks everybody for the input. I'll have to see if the holes are metric! The drop on this stock is only 1/16" higher and still parallel like my other stock that's why I thought mabye it had something to do with the ports. The rib is higher on the new gun and mabye I am raising my head to match my sight picture. I was shooting 22's and 23's with my sporting gun and thought the trap gun would help push me to 24's and 25's. So far it has made my scores drop some and slap my cheek a bit though!

Thanks again, Joe

7. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks everybody for the input. I'll have to see if the holes are metric! The drop on this stock is only 1/16" higher and still parallel like my other stock that's why I thought mabye it had something to do with the ports. The rib is higher on the new gun and mabye I am raising my head to match my sight picture. I was shooting 22's and 23's with my sporting gun and thought the trap gun would help push me to 24's and 25's. So far it has made my scores drop some and slap my cheek a bit though!

Thanks again, Joe

8. grntitan

Gary--I have a gun with Metric ports. Can i have them opened up to a larger SAE size? Any suggestions who can do this?

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt:

Have you ever heard of metal memory? Once a metric hole has been drilled, only cryogenic treatment can make the barrel behave like one originally drilled SAE.

-Gary

10. grntitan

Gary--Thanks for the info. Its on a 34" barrel and the ports are near the end of the barrel. I just bought some new hacksaw blades so i'm just gonna cut them off. I'll make sure i cut the rib the same length and i doubt you'll ever be able to tell.

Does it look like i'm straight?
    [​IMG]

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I hope that's not a metric blade.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.