1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PORTING !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EuroJoe, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why all the anathma about porting these days?? Very useful for two shot games, but why did you guys run out and have all your 34" singles ported? Noise? Nonsense! everyone wears hearing protection. Stand next to a 28" gun sometime, more noise and concussion than any 34"er, with or without ports. Why not buy something ported? It doesn't have any negative effect on anything, and now you can beat up the seller!! I'm trying for the record for thread responses, and if this doesn't get it, nothing will.

2. ABH

ABH Member

I like your bait Joe!

ART H.

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

nice cast....but you telegraphed at the end.

tony

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ever since I found out on the other thread how many are apparently annoyed by porting, I appreciate my ported barrels all the more.

MK

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

EuroJoe,

I'll bite. I agree totally with your assessmet of porting. All of it.
    Many badmouth porting for no valid reason. I have a Mono Gun with two barrels, one with Seitz style porting and one with no porting. Hard to tell any difference. Others say they can not distinguish any difference in noise from one barrel to the other. There certainly is no bad effect as a result of the porting.

The worst part of having a ported barrel is being ridiculed by many on this forum for having it. There's an old saying: "If you can not say something good, say nothing". Wouldn't it be nice if more people on this forum practiced it.

Marc

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Are you using monofilament or braided line? HMB

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Porting is acceptable on everyday shooters, but not on a collectable shotgun.

I have couple barrels that came with portings when I bought it, doesn't bother me as long as I didn't spend money to have it done.

If I can save some money buying it because some people don't like it, I'll be even happier.

I feel no difference in shooting with or without it, like I can't feel the difference between a 32" and 34" single barrel.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

This thread needs a down rigger with a good size sinker to get those lurking on the bottom to bite!

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I dont see the difference, the wife and I have both and I cant hear the difference. If the sounds of the ported guns offend sorry, as long as ported guns are legal to shoot, guess those offended just deal with it( or buy me a nice new really expensive one to replace it).

Jerry

10. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Porting a single barrel shotgun is great for the shooting sports economy....just like curb feelers and fuzzy dice are good for the aftermarket auto business.

11. EuroJoe

C'mon, you guys, you can do better than this. I had my first porting done by Magnaport, 4 slots on Krieghoff 32s. Both bbls.on 28" skeet gun, bottom only on 30" flyer bbls. about 1976. Worked very well, could keep bbls on line at Int'l Skeet, very important with very fast pairs.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have no objection to porting. But it doesn't really do what they say it does.

I will accept that porting can reduce muzzle rise, BUT ONLY if the porting is on the top of the barrel, or on top of the choke tube extension (which, in most cases, it isn't.)

Ported choke tubes, where the ports are all around the circumference of the tube extension, cannot reduce muzzle rise. Physics says so, not me.

Porting, either on the barrel or on the choke tubes, does reduce recoil, but by calculation, it can be shown that it can only have about a 2% overall reduction in recoil. If that's "substantial" then I guess the porting guys are telling the truth in their advertisements. I don't consider 2% substantial.

Porting MAY also make your gun shoot a tad flatter than it would without ports. But that can be adjusted for.

I think ported barrels are a bit louder than barrels without porting, but that's just my opinion. Its not that big of a deal on the line.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

hmb,

I'd say braided with a steel leader!

ss

14. alf174

alf174 Member

A pain to clean, louder (compare with a handicap or hunting load), ugly, don't like getting pelted with hot plastic. Maybe reduce muzzle rise that would help on doubles but I'd prefer a lighter load instead.

Strippin' line off.

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"BUT ONLY if the porting is on the top of the barrel..."

I haven't seen any on the bottom.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Ports are not only cool looking but they reduce recoil and muzzle jump.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Joe, you're not going to out-fish me this week. Sure, you chumbed the waters, but I'll have a greater harvest. The Creel is about full on my thread.

18. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Hey......I thought this was a winter thread.....like when we all have cabin fever......

19. EuroJoe

Some company had a port design, trapezoidal shape right on top of bbl. They show high speed photos showing the bbls. being forced down. Not a good idea, the idea is to stay on the right line, neither up or down.

20. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey Joe ZZZZZZZZZZ ....... If you'll still buy my milled rib I'll run out and have it ported ..?? ..Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.