1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rtchman, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtchman

rtchman TS Member

Looking at buying a used over under trap gun that has ported barrels and was wandering what the benifits of this may or may not be. Also does this alteration make more noise when the shot goes off than normal. Thanks for the help.

2. lil johnny

lil johnny TS Member

The porting dose not make a gun louder at all. porting is to help keep the muzzle from jumping up on you. hope this answers you question.

lil johnny

3. southpark

southpark TS Member

In fact it's quieter, the guys next to you will confirm this, and bits of particulate matter won't ever hit the face of the guy next to you either. Really. [Picture of wood screw and baseball goes here.]

4. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Click on Search and put in Porting,Should be enough reading to keep you busy for quite awhile.

5. tazddd

tazddd TS Member

hey this is David from Top-Line Porting It does increase the noise that you hear because it is going out to the side instead of away from you. and it takes a gun from over a 4inch muzzle jump down to less than 1 inch. Hope that answers your question.

David

6. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I can't tell the difference, except that my wallet is lighter...........

I now use blinders because of little bits of burning material from the ported gun next to me..............

Ric C.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Guarantees with porting include: lighter wallet, a richer gunsmith, a louder report for the fellow next to you or especially a yard or two in front of you, flying bits and pieces hitting the fellow next to you (has drawn blood on my face), another unpleasant chore in the cleaning process, reduced resale value, potential place to start a failure in the barrel with some guns, and I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of others but a search as Wayne suggests will fill you in further....Bob Dodd

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

In all the years I've been shooting I have never had the problem with debris hitting me or a noise problem. I wear good hearing protection and noise is not noticed. I shoot with a lot of people with ported guns and have not experienced the problems that others talk about. I also have never seen or even heard of a barrel failure in the port area.
    Karl

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Buying an O/U - shooting doubles?!

If you'll shoot doubles, having the bottom barrel ported should help with the muzzle jump from the first shot. A bit louder, possibly - but with ear protection, who really notices. Never got hit nor do I believe I ever hit anyone with shrapnel from ported barrels, but then I always wear eye protection. Maintenance, possibly a bit more, but if you only clean the ports once a year or every other year, that's not a big deal either.

Find a decent gun that you'll enjoy shooting and get into it at the right price - that's the ticket! Everything else is just a distraction.

Jay

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Been stung several times on the arms/face by porting crud. I suppose I should use blinders, though I dislike them.

11. rtchman

rtchman TS Member

Thanks for all the help. The gun that I am looking at a is perazzi DB81 special that has 32" inch barrels so I guese that this is the answer to buying a good gun as this is supposed to be one of the best that Perazzi ever made and will be doing double duty for me shooting International Trap singles and doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.