1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would deport my gun if possible. It is a XT. Ask browning why their Uro version of the XT has no porting and a nice oil finish? Somewhere someone said They will sell better with a high gloss finish and ported barrels.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't do it. No benefit, pain in the @ss to clean.

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Been shooting ported guns for 20+ years and find that I feel a significan difference in the amount of percieve recoil and muzzle jump.

Porting and Lengthening of forcing cones seems to be the best choice.

Ron

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't tell a difference in shooting ported Vs non-ported guns, certainly not a reduction in recoil. Some guys swear by ported tubes claiming all manner of benefits including better patterns because the ports slow the wad and separate it from the shot string. Because none of these 'benefits' are real to me, I wouldn't pay to have a barrel modified or pay a premium to get a new gun with porting.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Jeeze--------THAT time of the month.......AGAIN?????, already??

6. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I have porting on my Ljutic, and wish I didnt. If buying a new gun or barrel, I would opt for no porting. Steve

7. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have owned ported guns in various configurations and manufacturers. I would not port a gun again. Calculations by several porting co.'s state that the porting will reduce felt recoil, I have not experienced this. Being left handed and trying to get guns to fit is more of the recoil problem. When the stock fits, as stated in an above thread, does more to reduce recoil than anything I have found. Weight is also another key factor. I have owned K guns, P guns, Lguns, Browning's, Beretta's etc. My new Kolar has less felt recoil than any shotgun I have owned and weigh's exactly what my MX10RS weighed. The only difference is my Kolar is .750 I.D. where my perazzi's were .725 and .736 from the factory. This has ben my experience. Also, some people do not like ported guns when it comes time to trade yours or sell it outright. If they choose to port the gun, that is fine. I would prefer to purchase a non-ported used trap gun or field gun. Just my opinion, Thanks, Roy

8. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

I had Magnaport my 687II a year ago............feelin that it did reduce muzzle flip..no complaints from squad mates.............

9. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Potring in today's guns does two things:
    1. It lowers the velocity of the shot and wad by some small amount.
    2. It makes the outside of the barrel harder to clean.

It does not:
    1. Create more noise.
    2. Throw crap on other shooters.
    3. Reduce recoil by any measurable amount.

Porting is similar to adding another cup holder in your car. It helps to sell new guns.

Been there. Not again.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

flincher100- I must disagree with your comment that the pressure exiting the ports is not enough to cause the barrel to move down. You also suggested that you could locate an engineer who would confirm this. If you do find one, I suggest that you do not hire him for another job. Put some strong tape over the ports in a barrel and see what happens when it is shot.

It is true that the moment of pressure over the ports is very short but the actual pressure under the ports must be around 4-5,000 pounds per square inch.

Porting will result in a downward movement of the barrel as the gasses escape through the ports. In some, certainly not all, cases this could result in the comb moving down from the cheek and reducing felt recoil on the cheek. Porting will not reduce total recoil (ignoring the fact that the escape of gases must sloe the payload down slightly).

I like ported barrels, especially for the first shot in doubles. All of my barrels are ported and if I got a new gun, it would be ported also. If an individual has problems with cheek slap, porting might help. Not as much as a well fitted stock or a PFS, but possibly a little bit.

For doubles, I would recommend porting of at least the barrel that shoots the first bird.

Pat Ireland

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

One thing you can easily see just following sales on this site. You port a barrel, you lower its resale value about 30% to 50%. And, they are a pain to clean. Jake

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"you lower its resale value about 30% to 50%", i find this quite hard to believe, especially considering the fact that the barrel usually does not equate to 30-50% of the value of the gun, so if your statement was correct, people would be better of throwing the barrel away than trying to sell it with the gun, since the value with the barrel would be lower than the value without.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

jcl- I would agree with you that porting a nice old M-12 or a Parker single barrel trap gun would lower its value. But these guns are in a different class than my K-80.

MX-8B- You stated above that you do not like holes in your barrels. Porting aside, I absolutely insist that all of my barrels have a hole in one end where I put in the shell and a hole in the other end where the shot comes out. I would never shoot a barrel that did not have these two holes.

Pat Ireland

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have come to a point in my shooting life that porting is one of the worst things to happen to shotgun barrel. They are noisy and spray out both sides of the barrel in a fashion that isn't very friendly to the shooters on either side. This is especially true when shooting some of the slower burning powders.

I have shot the exact same gun with both a ported barrel and an unported barrel installed. There was no descernable difference between the two and this was shooting some pretty heavy 'caps loads.

To those that say they need it for the first shot on doubles, try a 1250 fps 7/8 oz load of 8.5's first. I almost never miss a first bird (about 1 in every 500). The recoil and flip from this shell is almost non-exsitant to say the least.

Phil,

If Browning would build some of their guns in an unported version, I would be a buyer for sure. For now, I'll stick to my Beretta's since they give you the option.

ec90t

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

save your money and make your gun easyer to clean....if recoil is that much of a problem shoot a reduced velocity shell or go to 1 ounce loads.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.