1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PORTING...WHY NOT????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ounce-n-3/8s, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Ok, would someone please explain to me why all of the sudden porting is a 4-letter word? I have heard different things from different folks. Some say, that you lose fps/energy as a result of them and others say that it makes bbls inferior/weak.

I have been shooting trap and sporting clays for 35 years..........I was raised around gun clubs. I primarily shoot money/meat shoots and most folks in the surrounding area (including myself) shoot anything but factory shells. Some of my guns are ported and some are not. In all of my time shooting, I have never seen porting cause an undesirable effect.......not in cracked bbls or in the manner a target is hit.

I'm neither for or against porting, I just wonder why all of the sudden people act as if a gun has herpes if it has been ported. Who's the brainiac that started the rumor that ported guns are ruined or essentially worthless? More importantly, why has it gained traction.....are people sheep? Somehow, I think it may be associated with Global Warming.

In all honesty, how many bbls have you ever seen split out as the result of a reputable porting job?

Shane

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Some complaints include how shooting next to a ported gun is often very loud, particularly when you are a yard or two in front of your neighbor and he swings toward your post to chase a bird. Another is situations where debris can be ejected from ports (from a dirty gun) and I've had blood drawn on my my face from that situation. Then there are the anti fellows that just opine that the only person to win in a porting job is the gunsmith. Just some of the "usual" complaints/remarks.......breakemall

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It's Bush's fault.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

not just any stake: a ported stake

5. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

There is only one way to find out which hits harder......two shooters totaly nude, one gun ported with a .750" bore and .030" choke, next gun .725" with .030" non ported both shooters have lets say silver bullet 8's.......shooters start ass to ass, take 50 paces turn and fire with ea gun......... :)

6. rocko

rocko Member

Ahh, waste of money? Mental masturbation? Can someone add to the list?

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've never heard the barrel-weakening or pattern-destroying theories and it can't negatively affect muzzle velocity because shotguns lack enough combustion pressure for porting to be effective.

That's about it.

Ed

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I once sold a Winchester M37 with ported barrels for $1500.

-Gary

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

JMO--I don't like the noise even if I'm on the next field, non-ported guns sound different to me, almost as if the report stays with the shot & goes away from me, instead of surrounding me. as I said JMO----Ross Puls

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Porting then, ultra tall ribs now, wonder what it'll be 10 years from now.

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

10 years from now? for sale: blaser f3 legally rendered inert by the obama administration in 2016. like new. $75. for sale: krieghoff k80 legally rendered inert by the obama administration in 2016. like new. $100. for sale: perazzi...

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

All I know is my mx8 o/u lower barrel with proporting has parallel streaks of plastic inline with the porting...... I think they shave and possibly retard the was..

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

BigM I'm sorry please forgive me but I can't help myself.

And everybody knows there is nothing worse than a retarded Was. ;o)

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

--- Chip King ---

14. letts

letts TS Member

What if Browning did not port most of their target shotguns? Would porting be something special and sought after by many more shooters?

Letts

15. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Factory, OK , aftermarket NO.

Whats louder than an old A5 with a Cutts???

Regards....Gerald

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Retarded was.....3 beers and autoguess computer.... lol

17. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Porting in TARGET SHOTGUNS has no effect on recoil or muzzle jump (has been proven). So, does it ruin a shotgun...nope, not all. In a nutshell....it has no function in our shotguns other than a sales tool for the uninformed.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

ounce-n-3/8 ... yes I have seen a split along the porting in a barrel!

It was a Perazzi ... it had slots, not round holes for porting.

Needless to say, he was very upset!

Do I care if a shotgun is ported? Nope, I have a few that I bought that were already ported.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have seen Bbl splits from the porting to muzzle. One thing for porting is if you have a shell the powder didn't drop or was extremely light the wad stays in the Bbl and per ATA rules no lost target, ejecta did not clear the Bbl.

The Bbl was a Pro Port Bbl that split.

I do not see any data for loss of Fps from ported Bbls, if there is it is very insignificant.

There are Pros and Cons on Bbl lift, but my gun fits me and I don't have that problem.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I agree with Bob Dodd.

I had at one time all my Perazzi's Pro-Ported. Then after shooting with my traveling squad of 27 yarders, on one windy day my buddy to my left would shoot and not only did I get a blast, but reside was flying in my eyes.

At 27 yards it's a moot point (we're spaced farther apart), but at 16 yards, is was an occasional problem. And, really, it's not necessary to port a single barrel. There are better ways to attack recoil, if that's what one is trying to address. A heavy gun is probably the best defense to recoil... like some lead shot in the butt-stock.

I no longer port my single barrels, but, and unfortunately, I have my bottom barrel ported for doubles. I shoot pretty fast, so I need to get back for that second shot. I hated doing the porting, but because so many others have as well, I live with that.

Good luck.

Whiz