1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting , Whats wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigDave1200, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Hi All, New here and have been spending some time reading. Great information! I have read on a couple of threads where someone is not interested in a gun or barrel that has been ported. What is the reason?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Oh my....you have opened a can of worms with this one. Well, in most cases, it devalues the overall firearm being that you have altered a factory barrel. Personally, I truly believe that it does absolutely nothing for felt recoil or otherwise....it does however, without a doubt reduce muzzle jump. Controlling muzzle jump can be adventagous for games with a fast follow up shot, like Trap doubles, Sporting Clays or Skeet.

I'll probably take a few lumps for that post.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

It can also increase noise for your squadmates (so I've heard; I've never noticed it myself), and can be a bit of a pain to clean. It also tends to make your barrel smoky/dirty on the outside.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I prefer ported shotguns for exactly the reason Tron gave.

If you don't like them, that is okay by me.

A liberal might not like them, and would not want anyone to have them. A conservative would not care if you had one or not. LOL

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have had several ported guns. All of my sporting clays guns were ported except the sub-gauges. I agree that it helps on follow up shots. I also agree that they make more noise. For American single shot trap they are of no use to me.

6. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I pretty much agree with what Tron said too. Although I would probably not have another gun ported it wouldn't prevent me from buying one that was already ported either.

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have my first ported gun and don't see any drawbacks. I don't notice it being any nosier, neither has anyone I shoot with. The ports are very easy to clean. I don't clean them very often but when I do I use the same pipe cleaner I use to clean the gas ports. It does take a few seconds to clean them.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Porting , Whats wrong with it??

I dislike porting because it doesn't reduce recoil and does increase muzzle blast to squadmates. Every now and then, when shooting at night, glowing debris can be seen flying from ports - obviously, that happens during daylight, too, and one has to wonder if that stuff could get into someone's eye. And it's dirty but that's not a major concern for me.

Just yesterday, I shot 50 targets with a ported O/U on the post to my left. My ear plugs work well (I usually cannot hear the scorer) but I sure could tell when my squadmate shot at a right angle by the sound and, an instant later, the muzzle blast concussion against my face.

I had one ported gun - a KS-5 - because I bought it used and it already was ported. I later bought a new KS-5 and gave the older gun to my son. Neither of us could tell any difference in recoil, so to me, it's just an annoyance.

Perhaps an avid doubles shooter who uses heavier loads than I do for the first shot might find some benefit through reduced muzzle jump, but I'm not even sure about that because the ports in an O/U's under barrel are usually pretty far down on the side of that barrel, so I don't see how they can do much that would keep the muzzle down.

Ed

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think the noise level depends on how the porting is done and how many there are. I don't notice any difference in my gun but have heard some ported guns that were very noisy to the sides and rear of the shooter.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Porting , Whats wrong with it??

I agree with Tron's statement.

In general, after market porting devalues the gun, to some extend there're people won't buy the gun simply because ported barrel. However, since porting business didn't and probably won't be out for a long time tells us there's a market for it.

I've seen $120,000 Holland & Holland O/Us got ported, but it got sold in an auction for 30% less than what an original should.

As trapshooters are concerned, porting is more accepted than others. Based on my experiences with Perazzis in the trap field, 25~30% of them are ported (together with other barrel & stock jobs). Trap guns are subject to more after market "improvements"/modifications than any other shotguns.

If you are not against these popular modifications, the gun you're buying might still worth the same, but should never add value to it. And you're narrowing your resell market.

11. AveragEd

The key to porting reducing recoil is pressure and there isn't enough in a shotgun barrel to make porting effective. In rifles, there is enough pressure - five to eight times as much as in a shotgun! In fact, I was considering having a rifle that is chambered for the 300 Remington Ultra Mag ported until the gentleman who was going to do it told me that if I wanted a 300 Winchester Magnum, I should have bought one in the first place. That made me think and I changed my mind.

If porting IS effective, there has to be a reduction in muzzle velocity because you are bleeding off pressure prior to the ejecta leaving the muzzle. When my son and I had those KS-5s, I chronographed the same load out of two shotguns that were identical except for porting and there was no appreciable difference in MV.

Ed

12. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I agree, there is about 20% less recoil I have read. but that being said both of my trap guns are ported. it does reduce muzzle jump. cleaning the darn powder or smoke gets under your rib and can be hard to clean. but if I ever buy another trap gun it will be ported also

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I know others will disagree with what I'm about to say, but here it is. Porting does three things very well;

1) Makes a gun unnecessarily noisey. I got over the whole noisey exhaust thing a long time ago.

2) Adds extra time in the cleaning process. I keep my guns meticulously clean.

3) Lightens your pocketbook having it done and at resale time.

I haven't owned a ported gun for several years now. I've passed on some guns that are on my short list of ones to own because porting is forever. The only way to get rid of it is to rebarrel the gun.

Just the ramblings of an ole hillbilly.

ss

14. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Thanks for the replies. I would have thought that it was something that was desirable and increased the resale value because it was one thing less that you would have to put out of pocket for. I had noticed that some guns come with it from the factory and were more expensive than the ones without. I do understand that too someone that is a collector as too why they would not want this as it takes away from the original set up of the gun but as everyday shooter, I thought it would increase the value. There was some excellent point about cleaning, noise and the general lack of bennifit that it provides. Thanks again

15. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Porting was good before we all learned better...

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I don't care for porting after squading next to them a few times, it seems to me that the shorter bbls. (26 & 28 in.) are worse than the longer ones. if i know a shooter has ported bbls. i try to squad elsewhere. Also have walked away from a few that i might have purchased because they were ported. Ross

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The only effective porting i ever used was done by the Shotgun Shop years ago...did nothing for recoil but it helped greatly when it came to muzzle rise on quick doubles

18. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Interesting string.

I don't see how the physics works for porting to reduce recoil. Every action has an = and opposite reaction. The wad is going in direction A....the only direction recoil can be impacted is through forces on direction -A. This is why a gas system or recoil system works...to dissipate or delay in the -1A direction. The engergy is not lost...it is usually transferred to kinetic energy in the form of a compressed spring or spread over a larger area by use of a recoil pad. Porting is 90 degrees from the linear direction for A and -A forces...it CANT change recoil.

What is should do, though, is effectively decrease muzzle jump. Force is B (upward). Theoretically the gasses directed in -B should decrease this upward jump. This is why you see the odd muzzle flash suppressor design on the AK Assault Rifle series. It shouldn't be too hard to test if somebody is really jacked up about it. Mount the action on a screw and see how much the barrel jumps....then do the same with a ported barrel. The movement wont lie.

My sporting shotgun is a Browning 525...came factory ported. I have shot lots of other guns...my trap gun is a 303 unported. I honestly can't tell a huge amount of difference. I use fairly low power loads, though. I think if you were shooting heavy game loads the porting might help.

Anyway...porting LOOKS COOL and sold guns for the volume mfgs like Browning and Beretta. Porting does not appear to do any harm. If somebody wants to sell me a Kreigoff for 30% under market because it has porting, hey, I am your guy!!! Havefunshooting. RICH

19. AveragEd

Porting is one of those things that some people like and others do not. It might not help anything and it might not hurt anything, depending upon your perspective. I've never disliked another shooter because his gun was ported.

Ed

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I do not like or think porting has any advantages to it ... I have looked at guns that were ported and did not buy them because they were ... My father used to shoot a TM -1 Perazzi that he had ported, once while we were shooting he blew the end of the barrel off of the gun so it became a rare 30 inch Perazzi TM-1 as opposed to the 34" he started with ... It cracked right behind where the porting was ...

I am not a fan of release triggers either, I have tried them and do not like them because I know far to many people who have had problems with them one way or another ... If I want to shoot the trap house I will just do it with my pull trigger rather than pull a release trigger through for the same results ...
    When I buy a gun that has a release in it, I take it out or have it taken out or I won't buy it ...

I do not buy single barrel guns that have 32 Inch barrels because they swing to fast for me so unless its the over/under barrels in a combo set, then I can live with them ...

I also do not care for a gun that has choke tubes, owned one and sold it as quick as I could because I didn't like having to keep tightening the damn things ... I like factory fixed chokes, Period ...

Those things would make me not buy a gun that I might otherwise be interested in, other than that I am very easy to please ...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all and to all "Hey,whatever work for you, is alright by me" ...

WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.