1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting, what is the reason for doing it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

First off, I am not asking whether I should port a barrel or not. I am asking the reasoning, real or imaginary, behind the concept in trap shooting. I am familiar with doing so to a rifle or handgun (USPSA/IPSC Open guns). I know that when done correctly it works and works very well. However, with regards to a trap gun I am confused. Is the concept behind doing so to a trap gun to help keep muzzle rise to a minimum? If so, isn't this counterproductive to a trap shooter who is shooting to a rising bird and wants to follow through upward or horizontally after the shot is taken? The shooter wants to "push" upward after shooting at a straightaway bird but the ported gun want to limit the rise of the muzzle. Counterproductive?
    Help me understand.

Thanks,

Pat

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Well, the real purpose of barrel porting on a shotgun is to get green money out of your pocket.

Look at recent shotgun trends..... longer barrels, higher ribs, etc. Think about them carefully. You can get used to the way a shotgun swings; you can get used to a sight picture. Ah, but some new need has to be created to stimulate sales.

The barrel porting has pretty much been figured out by everyone as unnecessary. The rest of the "stuff" is, in varying degrees, under question.

What goes around, comes around.

Mike

3. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Barrel porting is as useless as tits on a bull...

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I happen to agree with Mike regarding the benefit to the gunsmith or the pleasing of buyer's wants by the factory. And, the believed benefit is to reduce muzzle rise as you suggest but that rise is thought to be more than needed to shoot a rising bird. It's supposed to aid the shooter to keep the gun at his cheek rather than kicking out of a controlled rise.....breakemall

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not only is porting functionally useless, but it also annoys other shooters and diminishes resale value (others will try to refute this, but fewer people interested in your gun = lower price, or longer time needed to sell, or both. Period). Plus it's a pain in the butt to clean.

-Gary

6. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

If porting has been proven worthless.. and devalues a gun.. WHY, is Browning still porting their guns??

7. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Browning caught the Ported Wave in the 1990's and people bought into the given reasons by Browning for the owning Ported Barrels..

I owned a Ported Citori , Didnt like the cleaning aspect since day 1 , would I buy another , Not on your life...

I now own a CG. without Ports and love it, No barrel jump or any of the reasons given for needing Ports with this Gun...

Ports only pisses off the next guy shooting on the line , caused excessive noise and don't do a thing for the value of the Gun or the Shot patterns thrown..

In my opinion , it devalues the gun but do create work for the Companies who Port Barrels...

When people come on side to this reasoning , Browning will halt Porting Barrels due to sales loss..

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, Yes Porting does help with muzzle jump in a shotgun, just like a rifle or pistol. Its used mostly to help with follow up 2nd shots. Its also can make a big difference in a single shot gun as it allows the shooter to see his breaks much better without lifting his head off the gun. We all know this can be a very bad habit to get into, as sooner or later you will start lifting your head before you pull the trigger. There are very good reasons to buy a target gun that has overbored barrels, reduced forceing cones, and ported barrels. Now are these modest improvements worth installing on your gun??? I'd have to say NO. You can hurt the resale value of your original gun while you spend extra money to do so. Just remember alot of shooters have spent boatloads of money tring to buy just one target per hundred. I have yet to have anyone tell me they found a way to do it. Have Fun Shooting and break em all. Jeff

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FlaLagarto: I said porting is FUNCTIONALLY useless. Browning, and others, made a lot of money off the fad. So it was quite useful to them.

-Gary

10. AEP

AEP Member

My Cynergy came with ported barrels. I never noticed any reduction in recoil. As stated above it is a PIA to clean. I bought a Kolar without ported barrels. The owner of Kolar said not to port the barrels. The Kolar is about 1 lb heavier than the Cynergy. That 1 l lb does make a difference.

Several weeks ago I shot next to a guy in a wheelchair with ported Browning barrels. I finally figured out what everyone else was talking about regarding ported barrel gas blast. It took me by surprise. I did not like shooting next to him.

Porting to me is just a gimmick. If there is a reduction in recoil, using a ported barrel I can't tell the difference, and I would bet a months pay most shooters can't tell the difference either. Weight is the biggest reducer of recoil, or lighter loads.

Andy

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed. all it does is disfigure and devalue a gun, finances porters and makes for forum fodder. if you must (it's not an exact science), i'd encourage you to try doing it yourself. but remember: if a few holes are good, more holes, bigger holes and oddly shaped holes will be even better! good luck with it

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

hey, why not port the bottom of the barrel to encourage proper follow through while reducing recoil?

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

it's called quartering porting. i think i'm on to something...

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Reducing muzzle jump is a good thing. Porting is a small contributor to recoil reduction but I feel that it did help to a small degree..............and I believe every little bit helps.

The biggest downside it the carbon/plastic build-up but that's just housekeeping.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ahhh, the monthly "PORTING" thread...........right on time

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Anybody know if barrel guru Tom Wilkinson ports barrels or what he thinks about porting. After all, people pay him big money for his work and/or advice.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Snake oil.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are good ports and there are bad ports. Check your ports and see which ones you have. Ports which annoy your neighbor are bad ports. Ports that reduce muzzle jump and are self cleaning are good ports. HMB

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Any port in a storm. or better yet, a little port with dinner.

20. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Ports are good and necessary.

Ports annoy the cranky, whiny old shooters and raises their blood pressure.

Without this occasional stimulation, their blood would pool in their feet and their brains would stop functioning!

Ports don't annoy people; people choose to act annoyed because it gives them a feeling of power to complain about someone else.

Guns are loud; noise is part of shooting. If you choose to be bothered by the noise, improve your hearing protection or switch to chess!

I can find no reason to apologize for what I shoot. If you don't like my gun I won't feel at all embarrassed if you decide you don't want to shoot with me and stomp away complaining loudly. I may have just done your brain some good!

Mike K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.