1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting Vs. Nonporting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Hello all,

I know this subject has been brought up multiple times but I am looking to go from a ported gun (browning cynergy trap combo)to a non-ported gun (CG Summit combo). What differences will I see? Anything in the pattern? Muzzle jump?

Thanks for the help,

Kyle

2. 548

548 Guest

Your new gun will be easier to clean and will stay cleaner. Only difference.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Obviously you will see no holes, and most likely the gun will be easier to sell someday as some shooters do not like porting and some feel that ported barrels are louder than non ported as some shooters do not like to shoot next to people who shoot ported barrels. I do see some value on ported barrels on an over an under if used for doubles.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Oh boy....here we go again, and there isn't even snow on the ground yet.....

5. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I once had two 3200's. One ported,one not, the only difference was noise and harder to clean.I found no positives in it at all. Jack

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Shoot the Guerini for awhile and then make a decision. Guerini's are known to be soft shooters and doesn't seem to have a problem with barrel rise eliminating the need for porting.

Surfer

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Shoot next to someone putting Longshot thru a Browning....!

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

BMP,

Are you referring to the non-burnt powder creating a stinging affect on any exposed skin, or the incredible decibel levels being created? LOL

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Have guns both ways. Wont do it again. Unlike others I've had benifitted with less muzzle jump using it on my Mx15 but the crud on the barrel and rib is not worth it. I've not had any complaints about noise. One squadmate complained about crud in his eye but that's happened with my guns without porting too.

10. BigM-Perazzi

11. pakk

pakk Member

You will see large difference between those two guns, but it will have nothing to do with the porting.

12. wm rike

wm rike Member

Identical guns, one ported and the other not, shot back to back, and you'll feel (recoil) and see (muzzle jump) the difference. Taken individually, however, I think a person might be hard pressed to say one way or the other.

As to cleaning the ports, I always kind of considered them self cleaning as I've never done anything more that the usual bore cleaning.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Your Cynergy Trap was factory ported with factory big bores. And Cynergy has very low profile receiver, it shouldn't had much muzzle jump to start with.

CG has the traditional John Browning under lug locking system, it's a much taller receiver vs the Cynergy. I don't know how much this will make you feel in recoil & muzzle jump. You should try it and see for your self.

14. philk

philk Member

Noise is a non issue. Some of you guys should try wearing ear plugs sometime.

15. BigM-Perazzi

philk, obviously you've never shot with someone using Longshot powder and a Browning ported shotgun......

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have a Ljutic 2 bbl set. One barrel Seitz Style porting, the other bbl has no porting. I can tell no difference in noise or recoil. I have several ported guns. A simple wipe down at days end will be all that is required to keep clean. Must be a lot of people throw their gun in the trunk and clean it once a year, needed or not. Dirt on the barrel was never an issue. Marc

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Guns should not be ported because they might damage the hearing of the children. Also debris could hit a child which could cause fatal injuries.

18. philk

philk Member

No BigM , don`t know anything about Longshot, Red and Green Dot pretty much take care of what I need. Kinda tough to even find a newer Browning target gun with out porting weather you want it or not. They really jumped on that bandwagon.

19. BigM-Perazzi

Now John, that's a stretch ..

Phil, used to have a guy come around shooting longshot in a ported Browning. Felt like a panzer tank blast. Noise! Only time the neighbors complained....

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

You'll feel more recoil and muzzle rise. Also the gun won't
    look "as trick" and a ported gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.