1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

porting vs. non-portng

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

After shooting and hunting for 50 years I see no advantage in porting a barrel. Porting creates a louder muzzle blast and debree blows through the holes. If there is a big difference in recoil is it worth it? Does porting decrease velocity? Your comments would be appreciated.

2. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

Nice cast, I hope you catch one of those "I won't shoot next to someone who has ported barrels because they are too loud"

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

porting eliminates barrel bounce, good for two shot games, helps you stay in the gun between shots. Has NOTHING to do with recoil, but do get louder. Isn't that why we wear ear plugs?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you shoot the right bird first in doubles, you can get the right side of your barrel ported. This will get the barrel moving in the right direction for the second shot. HMB

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

i think if you nickel plate the end after porting it helps the gasses escape even faster for a follow up shot

bill

6. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I bought a used gun with a ported barrel. I am not going to junk it and buy a non-ported barrel. I don’t notice that much more noise and have yet to have anyone complain about it.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There are enough ported trap guns out there that the extra noise doesn't stand out like it used to. And the person shooting the ported gun rarely notices it. But stand beside one through which really hot loads are being fired and you will.

At one of the clubs where I shoot every week, there is a lady who shoots trap with ported sporting clays gun with short barrels and uses WalMart's hottest game loads. From the parking lot, you can tell her gun from the rest.

As Fred and many others have mentioned in numerous threads, it isn't effective for recoil reduction and to many people, reduces a gun's value. I have declined to purchase several otherwise very desireable used shotguns because they were ported and bought the only Browning I've ever owned - a new 32" Citori Plus - because it was NOT ported.

Ed

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

For years, the forcing cone extensions were after market. Now, OEM's are extending forcing cones. For years, porting was all after market. Now I see some manufacurer's providing porting on new guns.

Why would a manufacturer follow this trend (like porting) if there is no value or improvement? It cost them more to port than not to port.

Any thoughts on this ?

What do the manufacturers say ?

9. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

porting only way to go reduces muzzle jump and makes gun swing smoother I like it. g3

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go to the expense of porting a trap barrel but I wouldn't pass on a used gun because it had been ported. My 682s were ported when I bought them. The benefit of the porting is greatly reduced muzzle flip which helps when shooting doubles but also the one at a time birds because you can stay on the bird all the way through breakage. I doubt you could ever tell if porting reduces recoil, I don't think it does.

The down side of porting includes plastic fouling and additional noise. A toothbrush with some solvent easily takes care of the fouling and we all use hearing protection anyway.(right?)

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't care one way or the other. I do think it helps recoil and barrel jump a little. I don't notice any difference in noise between my ported gun and my non-ported gun.

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

This is very entertaining. Kind of like catching the pieces of whatever solids come out the ports.

13. AveragEd

Manufacturers port trap shotguns for one reason - it's a fad that trapshooters bought into and the manufacturer thinks it sells guns. But if you notice, about the only manufacturer that to my knowledge ports a high percentage of its target shotguns is Browning. The rest that did have stopped.

Ed

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I think that porting contributes to global warming sort of like this thread does:)

FRedmon

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The shooter rarely hears the increase in muzzle blast or bits of hot debris on face or arm but the fellow to the side and a yard or two ahead of such a gun certainly does; especially when he's on post 5 and the ported barrel seeks a hard right on 4. The one thing that porting a gun does with certainty and can be proven is that it moves money from your wallet and deposits it in the gunsmith's.....Bob Dodd

16. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Bruce Buck at Shotgun Report:

Dear Technoid
    Please comment about barrel porting and what it accomplishes in terms of recoil and gun movement on an o/u 12 gauge.
    Thank you
    Donald

Dear Donald,

I don't favor ported barrels on shotguns. Here's why in a nutshell:
    Recoil: In order for porting to push the gun forward to counteract recoil, there has to be something to push against. Look at the muzzle brake on a tank or field piece. Or even a rifle muzzle brake. Whether steel sheet or a heavy piece of metal, they are all thick. This gives the gas something to push against. A shotgun barrel is thin and doesn't give the gas anything to push
    against. This leaves the jet effect of the gas. The jet effect alone of the gas isn't sufficient to do much. The gas pressure at the muzzle of a shotgun is very much reduced and it doesn't start out all that strong to begin with- nothing at all like a rifle or pistol.

Muzzle rise: I know that barrel porting combats muzzle rise in some competition pistols. It also works on shotguns, but I don't think it works enough to notice. To optimize the effect of porting in reducing muzzle rise, the ports have to aim straight up. If they aim to the side, they don't do anything for muzzle rise. Due to the top rib on a shot gun barrel, barrel porters run their ports from about 9~11 and 1~3 o'clock. This is hardly ideal. Add to that the relatively low gas pressures at a shotgun muzzle and porting really doesn't do much.

Many people don't like porting, so if you try to sell a ported gun you will have fewer customers. Some barrel porting (Browning Japan's factory porting is a good example) is very loud and is unpleasant for bystanders.

Porting is often difficult to keep clean due to extreme carbon build up in the ports.

Bottom line: yes, porting works, but I don't feel that it doesn't work well enough to be worthwhile.

Best regards,
    Bruce Buck
    Shotgun Report's Technoid

17. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

Anyone have a XT combo (with ported barrels) that would like to sell it for half price? You know it has lost its value as a result of its porting.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

On a thread a month or two ago, Neil pretty conclusively showed the maximum recoil reduction you can expect with porting on a shotgun barrel is about 2%, and probably not even that much.

Can your shoulder tell the difference between 100% and 98%?

I guess those guys who believe a full choke has more recoil than a cylinder choke, or 7-1/2's have more recoil than 8's can. But I don't think I can.

And what AveragEd said is spot-on. Its a gimmick. Give the people what they want, and charge them extra for it. It doesn't have to actually do what they think it does, as long as they are willing to pay extra for it.

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Everytime I read these threads I read that porting doesn't work and nobody wants a ported gun. Apparantly the gun companies don't know about this yet. Go to the gun manufacturers sites and look at the competition guns. Most of them are now ported. Somebody better inform them before they go out of business.

20. AveragEd

highflyer, I don't think I'd be going too far out on a limb by speculating that your primary trap gun is ported. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.