1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting vs more weight...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Many who have ported their guns say they've had little noticeable improvement.

I wonder how much added weight it would take to achieve the same effect?

Would that be a better solution?

(Not trying to chum the water, seriously asking.)

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

porting is a waste!! lighter loads and a stock that fits and yes,weight is your friend!!!!

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

If you would like to ruin your gun.... then ... port away. accs has it right, especially the stock fit part.

Mark

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've read all the arguments here against porting. And I agree with most of them. Nor am I even considering porting a shotgun barrel.

What I'm asking specifically is this....

How much weight would one have to add to result in the same amount of recoil and muzzle lift reduction as porting?

I'm thinking it's a fairly small amount.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

a 4 oz. mercury weight that clamps on has a similar effect.. but it often destyroys the balance of the gun.. If you shoot a single barrel gun..It's useless.. and when I shot doubles.. I found the little muzzle rise I did have helped me get to the 2nd bird which was still going up...

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Porting slightly reduces muzzle jump, does nothing for recoil (felt or otherwise) and reduces wallet thickness along with gun value.

That said, my 391 Trap gun is ported.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Porting is good when done correctly. Unfortunately most of the porting I see is not done in a way to get the desired effect. Picture your barrel as the face of a clock, If the ports could be placed at twelve o'clock the maximum effect would be obtained. Since the rib is in the way the best we can do is place the ports at 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock. A lot of the porting jobs don't even come close, many are at 2 and 10 o'clock and some even worse. HMB

8. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

More pitch, period.

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

About a pound, but that pound will not have as great an effect on muzzle rise.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Porting no..weight yes...

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Laws of physics go with added weight.

Porting reduces muzzle rise, and it DOES reduce recoil, but from the way I calculate it, not more than about 2%

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

SO why does a company like Browning port ALL of the Sporting, Skeet and Trap guns??? I've owned two of their Special Sporting and a Citori Plus. All three were horribly balanced. Maybe they should easy off on the porting and add weight to balance them. Porting just pisses your squad off. Amazing how much louder they are. Dave T.

13. twopipe

twopipe Member

recently, I added an aftermarket "brake" to my CZ 858. It had a diagonal slash on one side, idea being to face the slash side up, reduce muzzle jump. It kicked me in the face so hard I couldn't shoot the rifle, & I thought something was broken. I removed it and the recoil returned to normal. Near as I can figure, it was forcing the muzzle down and pivoting the comb UP !

14. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

one other thing not mentioned-which i havent proven myself--but long yardage game trapshooters, say porting drops load by 50 feet/sec.

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

We had a trap/skeet fun shoot at the club Saturday. One of the skeet shooters let me hold his AL-391 that weighed about 13 pounds and it was not ported.

FRedmon

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Porting does work, albeit just a little bit. It helps with muzzle jump and a bit with felt recoil. It's not worth it if you are expecting a big change in performance. I am one for doing it for that little bit of taming.

More weight will work correspondently to how much weight you add. I usually do both to my trapguns, looking for all the advantage they give me.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Brian, the answer to your question is none to a very small amount.

Some porting is effective at reducing muzzle jump, and some does reduce felt recoil by a little. However, that isn't going to happen with most, if not all trap loads. For porting to be effective, you must use large quantities of a slow burning powder, otherwise there won't be much gas available to make the ports effective. A 1220fps 1 1/4oz load propelled by Solo 1250 makes much more efficient use of the ports than a 1200fps 1oz load powered by e3.

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Waste of good money and good barrels. Try putting a damp piece of tissue paper over the ports of a gun and then shoot it and watch what happens. When we did it years ago it wouldn't even blow holes thru the paper let alone blow it off the gun. If it can't blow holes in the paper how much effect do you think it will have on muzzle jump.

Save your money and your barrel!!

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Brian, I think you should contact Neil Winston ... sounds like a question Neil could give a good stab at answering. Bill Malcolm

20. RAScott

RAScott Member

Brian see kolarskeet or sminglers on here. he makes a custom between the barrel weights. It fits under the forend and you dont even see it. I added 4.5 oz's to my kolar and i love it it slowed it just a bit and the recoil is less , i do have a custom stock and recoil was not the issue. Weight is your friend.

Bob s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.