1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting or no Porting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herman63, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Just got a new combo and was wondering about porting my over an under barrels.

Also who to do it?

Thanks, Herman63

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It doesen't work. A waste of money.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

maclellan is right...I wish mine were not ported and would not spend the significant $$ to have it done. Just little holes put in a perfectly good barrel only to create more noise and places to try to clean. Once, I won a certificate at a skeet shoot for porting and a buddy offered me $100 for the certificate. Being inexperienced - and foolish - and it was one of the first things I had won - I opted to have Pro-Port put the holes in my barrels. Big mistake...I was not only out the $100 offered, but when I went to sell/trade up, everyone deducted ~$50 - $100 for the porting in the barrels. Think long and hard before spending the money. Ed

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Guarantees: porting will make holes in your barrel, it will likely make you unpopular with the fellow a yard or two ahead of you (loudness), it will be one more detail needing special care at cleaning time, debris will be spit out of the holes and that has drawn blood on this complainer, it will devalue your gun, and it will without doubt lessen the cash in your wallet by moving it to that of the gunsmith. The rest of the possibilities seems to have more opinions than watching a cork in the ocean....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Old Man

Old Man TS Member

It is a waste of money. Spend the money on shells. old man (tom)

6. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

What do people and guns have in common? The answer is food & shells go in one way,then go out only one way. NO HOLES IN MIDDLE OF EITHER IF EVERYTHING IS RIGHT!!!!!! I hate ported barrels, if you want to spend money,spend it on practice rounds. If your really gonna spend money on your gun spend it on fitting.
    Keith

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Herman, done CORRECTLY, it really helps , get pro port's pigeon porting,if just regular porting and regular pro porting I agree, one thing, from the being lack of barrel-jump from pigeon porting, your barrels will shoot about 3 inches lower, tests done on my 2 sets of k-80 barrels confirm this, both 32in. 737 bore 18 points bottom, 30 points top before and after, back to back same gun, same new sts 2 3/4 -8's, 4 all-americans testing and myself, very noticable recoil reduction, barrel rise etc. incinerate em!

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

this poster votes no porting. i had a really nice miroku with eliptical ports on the over/under barrels and after shooting it for not even 1 yr, the barrels started to crack between the ports. ended up with 26.5" cyl/cyl barrels. got really lucky when another poster on here had a set of citori barrels that were still in the white. i don't like porting.

brett d.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot guns with and without porting and cannot see or feel any difference ... I have seen barrels break off at the porting and go flying when the gun is shot after a considerable length of time, then they had to be cut off at that point and remade so they were shootable again ... I would suggest you save your money and use it on something that is more likely to help you in the long run ... I have always felt that "porting" was a gimmick and have never been sold on it as a matter of fact I do not even own a gun that is ported and I plan on keeping it that way ... People play mind games with themself and are always trapped into trying gimmicks while searching for the perfect gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

We've dealt with this issue before on ts.com, and once again I say NO PORTING!!....take the money you'd waste on porting and buy some good ammo, take your significant other out for a nice dinner or 3, have your truck detailed...whatever...it will be more enjoyable than getting your trapgun(s) ported!!

Ron Burr

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

When an unported barrel is shot, there is noticeable barrel rise. Porting reduces or eliminates this. The barrel rise must put a little pressure on the cheek, thus reducing recoil on the cheek but not total recoil. It is doubtful that the recoil reduction on the cheek is significant, but for some, every little bit helps.

Porting an O/U, be elimination/reduction of the barrel rise should be helpful after shooting the first shot in doubles. Porting must also lower the POI but possibly not enough to notice.

I could not really tell any difference, except for the first shot of doubles, after I had my barrels ported by Pro Port. But, I certainly did not hurt anything. The only comments I know about concerning the sound my gun has made came after I had a cocked wad and the gun went poof. the comments were not flattering.

Pat Ireland

12. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Thank you all for your answers.

I was only thinking of it for doubles but will be in no hurry.

Thanks, Herman63

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Herman63, Use your money for shells and targets for practice. Porting tends to devalue a shotgun. As said above, Sometimes the barrels crack or split. At one time I had a lot of Citori's. Some were ported and some were not. I couldn't tell the difference between either ported or not ported. Todd

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

It's not totally useless,it does line the pockets of the people doing the work...

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

16. skip

skip Member

If you want dirty, black, crusty, crud all over your barrels and rib go for it.

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Herman...for real...it's worthless for recoil and it makes it really hard to clean up the barrels. The ports are a huge pain. I wish there was some way I could fill the ports of my over under. Don't waste your money....Uncle Sam,Pa.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ahhh------the monthly "porting" thread, right on schedule.

John C. Saubak

19. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Just say "NO" to porting.

20. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

porting is a load of crap it does not work i shot a browning bt-99 with and without ported barrels and it did nothing there is not enough pressure in the barrel to redirect the muzzle jump if you were using slugs or something that requires more force and pressure then it mihgt do something but if your just shooting light little trap loads and already have an over under then you have plenty of weight at the end of the gun already to reduce muzzle jump and barrel porting is gonna make no more difference. if your gonna do anything ivest in like a gracoil recoild reduction system or something they actually do something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt99 ported barrel or no ported barrel