1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting of barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BFAT!, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFAT!

BFAT! TS Member

Porting of o/u barrels and unsingle does that help low recoil and barrel jump on unsingle and also barrel jump for doubles when shooting. all information would be helpful.could reconmend who does a good on porting. Thank you Bob M.

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think everyone can agree that porting works great. We might bicker over chokes, shot size and shot weight but everyone can at least agree that porting is a good idea.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Waste of money. jmho Bill

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I love the factory ports in my Mossberg 930. I was marveling this weekend at the smoke coming out the gas ports above the forearm and out the gas ports by the end of the barrel. It was real cool. I want to shoot it in the dark sometime and see if fire comes out the top of the barrel.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh, no, not this again!

In a nutshell:

1. If you believe it'll help, it'll help. Of course, you wouldn't spend all that money to get your barrels ported, then admit it had no effect, would you?

2. If you believe Hatcher's formulas for calculating recoil, then porting can, at best, reduce recoil by about 2% (for shotguns.)

3. Porting can help to reduce muzzle "jump" but at the possible cost of changing your POI to be lower.

4. The only two things porting a currently unported barrel is guaranteed to do is to a) take money out of your pocket and into the pocket of the guy doing the porting and b) make your gun barrel harder to clean. And possibly c) make your "muzzle report" louder.

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Porting is only "a good idea" for those that are in the business of porting barrels. The difference of muzzle jump between ported and not ported "under" barrels is so minute, it most definitely isn't worth the money. But.... as was posted earlier, "if YOU believe it helps, then it does!"

Look elsewhere for less muzzle jump!

AndyH ;-)

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't know how much ports work. I do know that cleaning them is really not much of a problem. I use the same pipe cleaners that I use for my gas in the barrel. It only takes a couple of seconds to clean the ports. I haven't noticed any difference in the noise level. I asked my shooting buddies if they could hear the difference and they didn't notice either. My ports are out the top of the barrel if that makes any difference. I think a gas operated shotgun recoils less than a non-gas operated gun. I don't know if ports work the same or not. I do know that with my Mossberg I can't tell much difference between my 7/8 ounce reloads at 1200fps and the 1 1/8 ounce 1200fps factory Federals I use in tournaments. I have to assume that the gas operation and the ported barrel have something to do with that.

8. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

BobM-I had a BT99 that was ported. I compared it to some that were not ported and there is a difference. The muzzle jump was reduced by a noticable difference but I can't say recoil was effected. By reducing muzzle jump recoil will be more straight back than up and back therefore giving the perception of reduced recoil. I had my 90T ported and the forcing cone lenghthened and it made a soft shooting gun even nicer to shoot. The work was done by MagnaPort (www.magnaport.com), their shotgun work is called Pro-Port.

Joe

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The voice of reason and logic..

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Waste of money...I have a gun or two with porting, but I would not do it again and my current tournament gun is not ported and works just fine.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

timb99 has it 110% right...read his comment. Best Regards, Ed

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my ported barrels, especially for doubles. No real recoil reduction but it direct some recoil away from my face and it is much easier to stay in the gun for the second shot of doubles. Clearly, others have different opinions.

Pat Ireland

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a look at the ports on your barrel. The closer to 12 o'clock [rib] the ports are the the better the barrel will work to reduce muzzle jump. I've seen barrels where the ports are close to 3 and 9 o'clock and are basicaly useless. HMB

14. romie

romie Active Member

I got rid of my ported gun due to how loud it was.I wouldn't waste the money to have it ported.

15. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Genuine waste of your money.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMP- Ports are cut at angles. The force vector of all of the escaping gases is the critical factor, not the position of the ports around the barrel. Ports cut at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock can easily be designed to port the gases up toward the rib.

Pat Ireland

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Force vector, Wow! Try some common sense for a change. A hole drilled at 12 o'oclock at a right angle to the center line of the barrel will deliver the maximum downward force. HMB

P.S. I'm sure Sir Issac Newton will agree.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Two holes drilled at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock at right angles the the bore centerline will deliver equal force down as two holes drilled at 12 o'clock, assuming the holes could be made equal size. Ports work by force vectors.

Pat Ireland

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat

Not so!

Remember your trigonometry!

20. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Does the scores now prove porting is better than years ago when no porting was done??
    Railroad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.