1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting help?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by woodchuk, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodchuk

woodchuk Member

Just wondering if porting a single barrel helps a little with the recoil or jump you feel in your cheek and also how do you tell if the forcing cone has been extended. Thanks Rick

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rick:

Are you familiar with the "Red Bow Effect"?

In any case, from a physics standpoint porting has no meaningful effect -- it's all psychological and doesn't really help reduce anything except the number of people who will be willing to buy your shotgun should you ever decide to sell it. Most people who love porting feel that way simply because they like the obnoxious extra "BOOM," and the attention it brings. Do you remember the kid back in high school who put a Thrush muffler on his 2-barrel Gran Torino and flipped over the air cleaner lid? Same thing.

The True Believers, of course, will hammer me for telling you the truth.

-Gary

3. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Just say no to porting...Larry Lockhart

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

It helps the people doing the porting.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

ever shoot next to someone with porting....and get spritzed by plastic bits dislodging from the ports? Oww my eye!!!! say no, spend your $ on getting the gun to fit instead!!

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You'll get a lot more excersize with a ported shotgun barrel and you'll weigh less!! Go figger!

Harem Crambull

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have to disagree, I have done my own tests on porting and in my opinion it does help with muzzle jump. I would not shoot w/o porting.
    . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . .
    Don

8. rw993

rw993 Active Member

There are a bunch of old threads regarding this. I will repeat that you have to be shooting something much heavier than trap loads for porting to have any appreciable (sp) effect.

RW

9. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

I don'tknow if porting helps with muzzle jump or recoil in a shotgun, but I do know from personal experience that it works in pistols. I had two S & W Model 29's, one sent to Magna port and the other unported, same barrel length, at least 40% reduction in recoil and muzzle jump. I think it would be necessary to have identical shotguns one ported, the other not to make any valid comparisons or conclusions...as far as the noise aspect...just touch off a ported .378 Weatherby one time to know the true answer to that question....

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Muzzle jump? Yes, a little. But a properly fitting stock with the proper pitch will do that too.

Recoil?

Yes, about 1 to 2%. Not enough that you would be able to tell.

On a single barrel gun, its of essentially no benefit.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It sure helps on my T/C Contender .44 Mag Barrel. Had the same setup before with no porting and it was a handful. As for the shotguns, my sons BT99 is ported and felt no different than the unported BT100 of mine. Results may vary but i say if recoil reduction is your goal, get your gun fitted to you. If that doesn't help enough, go with one of the many stock style recoil reducers(PFS, RAD, Gracoil, etc.).

Matt

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Most people who love porting feel that way simply because they like the obnoxious extra "BOOM," and the attention it brings."</I></blockquote>They're GUNS for crissake! They make LOUD noises when you pull the trigger.

Upgrade your ear protection and stop whining like a 5 year old who can't get his own way... or switch to archery!!

MK

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

Sarge, I have a 300 win mag built by Bob Hart also, If you don't know if a muzzle brake works for sure, just take it off for the next shot. You will then be a believer. As far as porting for trap loads, not a noticable diff. Mike

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before a forcing cone is lengthened with a reamer it looks like a dark ring in front of the chamber, similar in size to a mans wedding band ring. When extended it will be wider, usually about one inch in width. Most of the time it will be dark in color, but on occasion it will be highly polished. HMB

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I had a ported barrel that I tested to see if the porting made a difference. I made an aluminum sleeve that snugly slid onto the barrel. I cut a slot, the length of the sleeve, as wide as the rib, so I could slide it on inorder to cover the porting. Well with the sleeve in place I took the first shot. That was the end of the experiment, The sleeve after the first shot was on the ground under the barrel. It was no longer in the shape of a tube, the pressure from the first shot blew it off the barrel and nearly completely flattened it. There is a lot of pressure coming out of those ports and in my opinion it reduces muzzle rise, or at least gets the barrel back in position for the second shot in doubles. HMB

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Port by all means, it makes my unported guns worth more money! JMHO

18. woodchuk

woodchuk Member

Ok thanks for the info

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Matt,

It has a lot to do with how much of the recoil of the gun is attributable to the powder and the expansion of the gases.

For shotguns, that's a very, very small percentage. Think of it, for a shotgun, the shot and the wad weigh upwards of 500 grains, while the powder is 20-ish. Ports can only redirect gases, so for a shotgun, porting is ineffective for recoil reduction because the percentage of recoil attributable to powder is so small.

For rifles and high powered handguns, the powder, and therefore the amount of recoil attributable to the powder and the expansion of the gases, can be a significant percentage of the overall recoil. So it stands to reason that porting, or muzzle brakes, can be very effective reducing recoil for high powered rifles or handguns.

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Port by all means, it makes my unported guns worth more money!"</i></blockquote>I never met anybody who had any trouble selling a factory ported Browning!

MK