1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting for doubles gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrd, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrd

mrd Member

Who does the most effective porting for reduction in muzzle rise on a doubles gun?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I second that!

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Can't say I would opt for porting again but the "P" gun I shoot (and have for about twenty years)has Pro Pigeon porting in the bottom barrel. (Came that way from first owner) It does reduce muzzel jump but it also creates some hostile remarks from shooter on the adjoining posts. "noisey". I like it even if they don't. It's your gun..did you buy it to shoot or worry about resale. Some of these gun traders lose more trading then they will ever admit and it's not from a minor loss over porting.

Big Jack

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, my fave is "Seitz" style. And I do resent the guys that shoot the bottom bbl of their XTs along side of me on the singles line. Hcp is no biggy.

My O/U for dubs is Seitz style. Eyster is one that will do that. But Magnaport is a close second. After that I pass.

5. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Depends how the porting is done. I HAVE been hit with debris from porting with a hard angle. It IS noisier.

But, if it helps you, then so be it. COmpensators, porting, and the like are usually reserved for higher pressure loadings, so their effectiveness on a 12ga shotgun is severely diminished.

Now, put an effective brake on a 7mmRM rifle and the difference is night and day, although it is EXTREMELY loud.

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

I would go with Angle Port, seems to work the best and very easy to clean.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

A picture or two of your favorite styles would go a long way.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

DON'T DO IT!!!! spend you $$'s on something usefull, like women, beer and ammo!!!

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

There is a reason non ported barrels sell better than ported.......friends don't let friends have there barrels ported.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Porting is a total waste of money....results are virtually negligible in addressing muzzle jump and recoil. The holes are messy, loud, and seriously hurt resale. Some have experienced splits in barrels in/around the ports. All that said...this is America so you can do what you want. Best Regards, Ed

11. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I recently bought a nice Kolar combo with Wilkinson tuned bbls and porting already done. It didn't turn me off to the deal. Yes Id rather have had unmolested bbls, but with this buyers market I felt the price was right. I don't feel the gun is overly loud or that it impedes squad mates shooting.The porting looks like cylinder head chambers rather than a bunch of holes.Agree that cleaning takes more care.Not a horse trader so not to concerned about resale.Just my two cents.

12. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I hate shooting next to someone with ported barrels. I've caught powder and lead pieces in the arms and face shooting next to some ported bbl guns. It does seem that some do and some don't. I notice that mostly the cheaper factory porting throws more junk out and back. If you reallywant it get it. Resale would never sway my decision. Just respect other on the line.

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Maybe you should invest in having your stock fitted to you, or have a stock made to fit you. If your gun fits you. It won't have barrel rise.

Todd

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My 682 Barrels are magna ported. If it were my choice, I would have plain barrels.

15. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I'm with the non-porting gang for all the reasons they stated. Dale

16. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

Go to Beretta's web site.they dont offer it because all there tests prove it does nothing.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is good porting that works and bad porting that doesn't work. HMB

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My Citori has porting and my Caesar Guerini doesn't. My doubles scores suck with both guns. lol

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

Have your gun backed bored and long forcing cone,I think that helps as much as porting.

20. jkh171

jkh171 TS Member

Hi
    Old goat hit the nail on the head, I had a bt 100 stainless the ports filled
    in with lead, carbon and plastic proof positive that porting does not work on
    shotguns ( pressure too low )
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.