1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting Blow Back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Last week I was shooting next to another shooter with a ported barrel and I could feel the blow-back. I could feel the blow-back from all stations. After shooting I asked him what kind of load he was shooting and it was pretty standard. I've shot next to a lot of shooters with ported barrels and this was the first time I can remember this happening. I didn't like it. It bothered me enough that each time he went to shoot I would step back and I know that is not proper. Has anyone had this experience? Bill

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yup, but not from all stations.

3. David P.

David P. TS Member

No, and if a barrel is properly ported, the ports should be directing the gas up (top side of barrels) to help with muzzle rise. That is their function. You would be more apt to get muzzle blast from a very short barrel.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I don't notice it with 2 3/4 dr loads but 3 dram loads are noticable.

5. ismah

ismah Member

I don't know what kind of gun it was, didn't ask. It was an O/U, nice looking gun. Might have been a Perratzi. He was proud of it and I could tell he didn't like me asking about it. I didn't feel the blowback every time he shot but definitely could feel it at all stations.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Longshot powder in a ported Browning barrel will make you shoot alone...

Updated..

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Browning Bbls I agree.

Gary

8. xtxt

xtxt Active Member

Yes yes Browing Bbls I agree with Gary.I had mine welded shut.

Don S.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Years ago when Magna-Port started doing these, all my traveling squad mates and I were shooting Perazzi's so we/I sent them all in for porting; singles and O/U barrels.

Not long after we shot together at 16 yards, I was getting crap in my eyes from time-to-time. It never bothereed any of us at 27 because we were far enough apart.

Following that I have never ported another single barrel. All the squad eventually got into newer guns and only our doubles guns were ported.

I hope that on my tombstone is carved: "Here lies a trapshooter who NEVER bothered a fellow shooter." That could be said of all my squad and that's why we traveled together. I couldn't say that for some 'other' shooters who felt the need to try and do somethign to disrupt the harmoney.

FWIW.

WW

10. 6t6stang

6t6stang Member

My son has a ported top barrel Perazi, and I have noticed the blow only on one singles shoot. (we've shot together all year) I don't know if it was the wind or the way I was standing or what. I notice a lot of guys have their O/U barrels ported. Do you guys notice it more with doubles and singles since shooters are closer together?

Mike.

11. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've never noticed it on registered shoots or bird races, but when shooting games I always leave some room between myself and anyone shooting a ported gun. As BigM pointed out, Longshot is bad, but Blue Dot is worse.

12. stuka

stuka Member

I shot with a young man in the Utah State shoot June 23. Wind blowing like #$%$ from the left and quartering from the front. He was shooting a 30" Citori and I was to his immediate right. There were numerous times when the "blow" smacked me hard. The kid was shooting great, so I did not say anything until we had finished the last 100. He did beat me by 4 birds, but it was not that problem, only mine. That is the only time I have had it happen to me.

I am sure another shooter would have made it a big deal, as it really was annoying and hurt a couple of times. The kid was really apologetic afterwords, but I told him to just keep up the good shooting (196/200).

13. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I have noticed it before now, but it was only on very windy days, every time. Blowing really hard , right down the line.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just another reason why I got rid of every ported barrel I ever owned years ago. I won't buy a gun that has ported barrels reguardless of the price.

Why would anyone potentially subject a fellow shooter to such an unnecessary thing? I'd rather have an auto w/o a catcher shoot next to me.

ss

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've had crud come back and hit me from both ported and unported barrels. Additionally, both my unported doubles gun and my ported handicap gun has thrown crud on other shooters. Never lead, either way.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Before I knew better and was into having all my barrels ported that were not...I always liked Lazer-porting as it never exhibited the negative stuff..it was no louder than stock that I or my squad buds ever noticed..didn't clog and the exhaust direction was pretty near straight up..had a 687EELL done by the Shotgun Shop and with the 4" forcing cones and back-boring on the normally heavy solid rib unsingle...it was definantly a plus..but now I only like two holes in my barrels..muzzle and chamber..part of why I cherish my unported Citori Pluses so much

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Noticed it once, last week, during doubles. Figured the guy was canting the gun chasing the second bird. Not bad for 21 years of registered (knock on wood).

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Anyone think that it is plastic peelings from the wad. Maybe un-burnt powder flakes. Peelings from the plastic wad are going to come back at you at a pretty good speed, regardless of the wind. I have been hit in the face hard enough to sting by debris flying from the ports. Unfortunately, there are many barrels that have irreversible damage. Especially, the guns and barrels that are not made anymore. Seems finding a unmolested barrel 90T, or TM-1, etc. are getting hard to find. Let alone the fact that they are very hard to clean the ports, and the bottom of the rib from the melted plastic.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I have it on good authority that Romney intends to ban porting.

That's why I'm voting for him. :p

-Gary