1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

porting barrells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BARTMAN, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

Will porting the barrells hurt the performance in the field?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't think so, but others will. Porting is similar to Anchovies. You like them on a pizza or you hate them on a pizza. There is no middle ground. Many who hate Anchovies on a pizza believe that everyone else should also hate them.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Porting will help you in the field. It helps to get the barrel in position for a quick second shot. HMB

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like anchovies a lot and I like porting. Porting helps reduce muzzle jump and allows for a quicker recovery for the second shot. It's benificial with most of the shooting games.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What he said!

My son and I once had KS-5s with the same barrel length but his was ported and mine was not. Neither of us could tell any difference. I once briefly owned a Citori Plus that was a rare unported gun and numerous owners of ported Plus guns didn't think my gun kicked any harder than theirs.

Porting works by bleeding off some pressure before the ejecta exists the muzzle but several ballistics experts have established that shotguns do not develop enough chamber pressure for ports to create any noticeable reduction in recoil. Rifles and handguns are a different story but porting them reduces muzzle velocity and really increases the muzzle blast - both happen because those firearms have enough chamber pressure for the porting to actually serve its intended purpose.

I do believe that porting can reduce muzzle jump a little which is beneficial when shooting doubles. But I'll take my barrels with just one hole in each end, thank you.

Ed

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

What Averaged said!

There are way too many ported barrels as it is. If you hunt over dogs, make sure to buy them some ear plugs as well.

ec90t

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mark in SLC got it right....don't waste your money...spend it on ammo...take your wife out to dineer...buy a bottle of great single malt..whatever...

8. racer

racer TS Member

I think the ports are making the wads spin! Dan

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that your guns have bad porting. Maybe one day you will get a gun with good porting. Tron and I have guns with good porting. HMB

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

FWIW, I had the top barrel of my o/u ported back in Feb. There is a noticable difference in felt recoil/kick between the over-vs-under barrels with the ported barrel having less. I'm convinced that porting has helped me and the under barrel will be ported in a few months. As always, YMMV.

Eric

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yes it helps, its called the ""placebo effect"

12. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

Gee I didn't expect as many no's. Thanks you guys, just getting in to trap but bought a field cynergy and was wondering because I will probably hunt some with it. I always thought the ported barrells looked cool, but may not port it now

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

My Browning GTI is a great gun except for the ported barrels. Loud, and you have to clean them, makes a mess out of your vented rib. Just port the bottom barrel if you have to. Whats the point of porting both? Wayne

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I do my own porting. the holes are placed as close to the rib as possible. The ports are not aimed at my neighbor and do not bother the shooters next to me. Take a look at your ports, the ones that cause the problems for your neighbor are the ones that are aimed right at him. Also the ports that are aimed almost straight up provide the maximum down force. HMB

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Racer: I don't agree, if anything they they stop the rotation.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Depending on loads used in the field. If your talking heavy high velocity loads it is my personnal belief that this is the only area where any noticeable effect can be detected.

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

BARTMAN:

One more "no" vote.

Everything I shoot at targets (a 32" XT trap, a 30" Citori trap, and a low rib 90T) is ported. The ONLY reason is that they all came that way. I didn't and wouldn't specify porting on a new gun and wouldn't spend a nickel to have an aftermarket porting job done.

IMO porting does no particular harm but no good either. And... it is ferociously noisy on short(er) barrel guns. I don't shoot big bullets but the 30" Citori still makes one heck of a racket.

sissy

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Magnaport Pigeon porting made a huge difference on my 30" kolar skeet gun as far as muzzle jump goes w/ 3 2/4dram 1 1/8oz loads, and i'm very glad I had it done. I did have a set of 30" kolar .740 bore barrels that had be angleported, and still had pretty bad muzzle jump, so it is my opinion that pigeon porting is more effective than angleport. I have a PFS on my gun, and it weighs out at 10 lbs 10.5oz, so the heavy gun, .750 bore barrels, the PFS, and the pigeon porting make for one soft shooting gun, in fact, i'm pretty sure it kicks less than the 1100 I used to shoot for 12ga.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Toolmaker251,

Not "placebo effect" at all. A friend and I went out to the local range and I had him load my gun and hand it to me closed. I shot with my eyes closed ( all safety precautions in place) to eliminate any possibility of seeing which barrel was fired. I fired 10 shots of the same 3 dr, 1 &1/8th, 1200fps factory load and had to say which barrel was fired before opening the gun. I got 10 out of 10 in picking which barrel was used.

Eric

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mixer,

That's an easy one! The ported gun is louder:>)

ec90t