1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting and Screw In Chokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigSkiff, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

It's been about 35 years since I last shot trap. I've been active in pistol and rifle but have let the shotgun sit for too long. It would seem that during those three and a half decades that a number of things have changed. It looks like most of the Trap guns today have screw in chokes and ported barrels. I can see some advantage for interchangeable chokes, but I fail to see the purpose in porting a shotgun barrel for trap, and especially for a single barrel gun? What am I missing here? I can't see what possible advantage this would create. Can anybody shed a bit of light on this for me? Thanks.

Bob

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Porting will help some with muzzle jump and is most helpful on doubles for a quick swing to the second target. The advantage is minimal. Its great at removing funds from your wallet. But then again there is no shortage of products available to do that.

3. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Ha! Yeah, I did a search on this forum to see what I could find on this subject and basically what I found was just what y'all said. I get that part, but someone must have thought there was a purpose for this. I can understand lower barrel porting on a double to off set muzzle jump although I doubt it would off set much. But, why would you port a single? There is no muzzle jump before you fire, and no second shot, so .............. why? Just marketing?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

On rifles and handguns, porting does an excellent job at reducing recoil as well as muzzle jump. Its especially effective on magnum calibers. I suppose the same was applied to shotguns. At least in theory anyway. I can tell you it helps greatly on handguns like my .44 Mag T/C Contender. This barrel is ported but the one i had before it was not. There was a drastic reduction in both muzzle jump and recoil. Just say'n.................
    [​IMG]

5. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

No question porting helps muzzle jump and felt recoil on a handgun. I have many that are ported. Same with rifles. But if a shotgun fits you properly, there isn't that much felt recoil to begin with. A shotgun is generally a whole lot heavier than a pistol, and not nearly as much barrel pressure as a rifle. Thus, I don't get the intent particularly on a single barrel gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.