1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting and chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Recently I saw listed on this site a very nice high end engaved and inlaid gun. Very beautiful, enough for all to envy. True to form, several people had to wrag on this beautiful gun by making negative comments on the ported barrel (s). Were these comments meant to be hurtful to the owner of this fine gun just because of envy? Do they have a personal dislike for the owner of this gun? Why was it neccessary to find fault with this gun? Were they trying to belittle it so that they could buy it for less?

Sure would be nice to let people enjoy their own preferences, without ridicule or insult, even though your preferences may vary. I believe it's called "CLASS".

Marc

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Marc, I agree with you 100%. But there are those - and I include myself in this group - who feel that porting devalues any gun, especially a higher-grade one. Nonetheless, there are just as many people who like porting, so it is rude to really pound on someone whose gun doesn't match your personal preferences.

When I see a really attractive trap gun that is ported, I just say something like, "Wow - that's a nice gun" and think to myself, "damned shame it's ported."

Ed

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I agree with both of you; it's like seeing a nice Mercedes with mud flaps, however, we don't know the 'why's' someone would do that - fifty (50) miles of gravel road to get to the ranch and a car that the rancher had always wanted.

It's easy to criticize and demean a person or material object; it's much better to find out the rational for the 'what & why's.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Ed,Colt, Thanks, Nice if all would respect others as you have described. Marc

5. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

The resident curmudgeons on this site will argue any point and disparage anything. However, last week I was pleased to see that when the thread surveying trapshooters for their ages that no one jumped in to argue with anyone about their age. Must be because Father's Day is approaching. Bert

6. David P.

David P. TS Member

I have never had a barrel ported, but own some that have been done by others. If you look at pictures of Olympic shooter's guns you will immediately notice most, if not all, have ported barrels. I would say "to each his own" and I wouldn't let porting stop me from owning a gun I liked. And the Olympic shooter thing? They probably just don't know any better.
    David

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

High grade gun barrels are seldom ported by their owners, because a high grade gun is usually a hand made work of art, and the porting ruins the aesthetics of the gun. Now there are different kinds of porting.
    Some look terrible, like they had a case of small pox. But others placed near the top of the barrel, where they would work best, are really not that bad. Those where made by lazer porting, but I think that they are no longer in business.Briley is doing a pigeon type port that doesn't look too bad either, and does the job. I also am of the opinion that you really only need the bottom barrel ported, not the top one, because porting's effect on recoil is negligible. By porting the bottom barrel only, you steady the upward movement of the barrel, for an easier and quicker second follow up shot, mostly used in olympic trap and box bird shooting disciplines.
    I would never port a Fabbri, or a Beretta SO series or Perazzi sidelock guns, or for that matter a Purdey or Boss, that would be a crime, punishable by expulsion from the shooting fraternity.lol.

bueno_2011_05047.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.