Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porting a Pigeon Gun

6K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  likes-to-shoot 
#1 ·
I wanted to know if what members feel on porting the lower barrel on a pigeon gun. Now I ask this since the first barrel is going to be a 3.5dram load. Of course I know I'm going to ruin a gun, devalue it...... What I really want to know is when you ramp up the drams does can you see any value in porting. I am not interested in what people have found out in handi cap loads since we are going to be shooting hotter loads.

I have seen some guns that Ken Eyster ported, he must have been onto something. If you were to port a lower barrel who would you have do the work?

#3 ·
I have a Ljutic Mono gun with two barrels, one Seitz style ported, one no porting. I can detect no difference even while shooting 1250fps 1 1/8oz loads. I disagree that porting ruins a gun. Many prefer porting and my bet would be that porting would not detract from the gun for most of us. Of course the nay sayers are loudest. Marc

#5 ·
Most of my shotguns are ported and several of my magnum rifles suffered the indignity also....I bought into the BS and "drank the Kool-aid" back in the 80's....that being said, it was a complete and utter waste of money....should have spent the money on beer, ammo, women, my hotrods or anything else...

Ron Burr

#12 ·
Looks like you will get no sound advice from actual bird shooters. Lots of guns are ported and lots of guys swear at it and by it. But with the increased payload it would be nice to see some real world testing. Most live bird guns i have seen are ported. And Ken Eyster was around live birds and worked over a bunch of barrels over the years. I never thought of Ken as a man who liked to devalue a gun or make claims that were bogus. But hey i am sure the keyboard junkies here know more than he ever did.

#13 ·
Well, If I was in the business of porting guns, I would tell everyone to get porting done.

I heard that if you had your Barrel ported it would increase size and stamina, plus give a better bang. Ohh, that is Smilin Bob, pitching some enhancement.

What did you think would happen with a thread about porting a shotgun?

The same thing that will happen to a thread about 7 1/2's vs 8's.

If you thought you may gain some valuable information, you probably should have slept at a Holiday Inn Express, then you could be a keyboard junkie too.

If it makes ya feel good, port away.

Just making light of the topic and having fun.

Kenny U.

#14 ·
Porting absolutely works as promised!!! ALL my live bird guns are ported and have a soft-touch installed. The sof-touch is for recoil, and the porting is for barrel bounce,two very fast shots are often required for flyers.To hell with gun value, one good day at a flyer ring will more than pay for any perceived depreciation.
Good idea for International skeet guns as well, as well as bunker guns. Ported tubes do not have the same effect, they come into play too far out to be of any value.
Port shapes don't make much difference but their location does, you don't want to force the barrel down either, the idea is keep the bbls.where you put them. proper stock fitting is also critical to this whole concept.

#15 ·
Gentleman slow down I know some folks have a hard time reading. I spent many hours the past few days reading older posts on porting. Every post somewhere mentions the words, "ruining, de-value" a barrel. Personally I could careless about the value of the gun, it's a project gun from the word go.

So for those that put an honest effort into answering the question Thanks. I bring this up since Ken had worked on 2 of my friends barrels years ago. This project gun I am working with has been fitted and stock bent, it's a tight bore .721 Broadway, choked 30 thou on the bottom and 41 thou on top. These barrels are throwing some very tight patterns with RST ammo, B&P nickle plated, Rio 1330fps pigeon loads in that order.

I have had a few PMs so a Soft Touch will be in short order. I have a Perazzi on order with 4 barrels 2 are identical so this is the reasoning behind this. I can port 1 and compare if I just have to do a side by side test. If I don't get the results I would like I am certain the folks who gave there best shot at wisdom will fight to buy that gun.

#16 ·
The short version is what EuroJoe said.

Of course you have it ported.

You MAY still miss a diving speedball, but if you DON'T have it ported, the 2nd miss is guaranteed.

And if you are really smart, order the barrels XF/XF and tell the Eysters to cut the chokes for a boxbird gun.

Bob

#17 ·
Boxbirder,

I'm one of the ones who believe porting is a waste of money, but you asked for an honest opinion, here it is.

Porting, for the purposes of reducing recoil, is largely ineffective. Recoil due to the compressed gases resulting from the burned powder accounts for probably no more than 5% of overall recoil for shotgun shells, and therefore redirecting those gases out the ports (and you can't get all of it, most still comes out the end of the muzzle) will only get you a 1 to 2% recoil reduction. Barely noticeable.

Porting, for the purposes of reducing muzzle rise, as long as the ports are angled "upward" is effective, and may even lower your point of impact slightly. However, some folks will argue that you can do the same thing by having the recoil pad at the proper pitch.

Ported choke tubes, since the ports are all around the circumference of the choke tube extension, cannot reduce muzzle rise. The net force up/down is cancelled out by the ports on the other side of the tube.

#19 ·
I prefer ported tournament arms. Those who don't seem to rant the loudest.

Reduces muzzle flip, helps get the gun in position for the second shot a little quicker, if needed.

I just bought an identical 28" non ported version of my 30" ported model. The unported gun has much more muzzle flip than the ported model. The 2" difference and couple of ounces of gun weight are not in proportion to added felt recoil and flip. Muzzle flip puts the stock into the face.

One can guess that the newer gun is going to be ported soon. I prefer Angle Porting.

Porting does not eliminate muzzle flip, but reduces it. Recoil reducing mechanisms in the stock do not eliminate recoil, but reduce it.

#20 ·
I am not trying to reduce recoil, just tame the jump for the follow up shot. I don't have to worry about the noise since I wear earplugs all day long. Of all the years of pigeon shooting I have never owned a ported gun. I have shot a few but being a lefty you never get a gun that fits you.

Does Ken's son do the same work his father did??

#21 ·
I had my 682 proported,by magnaport, with the pigeon port on the bottom, and the pro-port design on the top. I was getting a bad reverb on the bottom....cured the problem....love them....as far as I have seen, almost ALL new Brownings come ported, so I guess you can't use them for a pigeon/live bird shoot...but I do like the porting on my Dove gun, almost every shot is a double shot here in SOUTH ARIZONA..100Mph doves are a "blast"....

#23 ·
Boxbirder,

Tom Wilkinson did a nice job of taming my MX-8 for box birds. I gave him the green light to do whatever he felt would yield the best results. The barrels came back ported, choked .25 and .35 and printed a beautiful pattern. I do believe the porting did reduce the amount of muzzle flip for that quick second shot. This same gun served me well shooting doubles also, albeit a little tight. Give Tom a call. He's a nice guy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.