1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ported Chokes - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Depends on what they claim, doesn't it? They have the potential of reducing recoil up to about 4% if they bleed off all the gas, but they are pretty short for that, porting must be better, if it's any good at all.

Neil

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Very dirty if on an OU. The crud builds up between the chokes. No appreciable benefit and no way they could reduce recoil since they are ported 360 degrees and not just on the top to create downward pressure by the escaping gas.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just makes your chokes dirty

4. 45er

45er TS Member

Truth is, I don't have a clue whether they work or not, but I'll say this - I'd bet a month's pay that no one could tell a difference in recoil or anything else if they conducted an honest experiment and shot ported and non-ported chokes side-by-side. And no question the mess at the end of the barrel after shooting would be worse with ported chokes. Marketing is a wonderful thing --- tell someone something is good for them enough times and get a fad started and the product doesn't have to deliver anything to sell like wildfire!

Rob

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

they are louder I think.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money. All they do is make a mess under my rib. Crud builds up and it takes dental picks to clean it out.

7. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I recently got this one and it does strip the wad quicker. And it is supposed to create a "straight-rifling effect". Don't know about that but I did get the exact restriction I wanted. That is the more important part to me anyway. They call it "fast-port".

Best pattern I have gotten so far also. I didn't think the choke would help with the pattern but there is a noticeable difference over the factory choke.

Recoil not a bit of difference that I can tell.

I can see where a ported barrel might gum up under the rib but a ported choke should not be able to do that. That is a new one to me. Live and learn. I will check under my rib I guess.

Rock

Jim

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Whether ported chokes improve the pattern is dependent on what other choke you are comparing it to. Anyone who claims that ported chokes are better than ALL non-ported chokes would have a very hard time of convincing me of that.

I do know that ported chokes are much LOUDER than non-ported chokes. I remember about 25 years ago having a ported Poly-Choke put on a shotgun barrel. Man, was that thing loud! It was not only much louder to someone standing off to the side, but it was also much louder to me (the shooter). After a few weeks of using that gun to hunt with, I got out the hacksaw and removed the ported portion of the choke. That made it much quieter and didn't affect the patterns at all.

As to the ported chokes like Rock has pictured above, I would be concerned that stray pellets which might be outside the shot cup could be forced out those long longitudinal slits. That could be very hazardous to someone standing nearby (such as on the adjoining post on a trap field).

Personally, I seriously doubt that ported chokes offer any advantage over any other high quality non-ported choke. But, if ported chokes turn you on, it's your money..... spend it as you like. I just hope I don't have to shoot beside you on the trap field.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- How can you tell that the ported choke strips the wad quicker? What would be the advantage of this? I have no idea what a "straight rifling effect" might possibly be.

Pat Ireland

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The Rock: I was thinking of ported barrels, not chokes. My mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.