1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ported Choke Tube Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Do ported choke tubes really make a difference? Some manufactures claim they reduce recoil, but only by 5-10%. A more important question is how loud they are. I know that guns with ported barrels are terible to shoot next to when hunting, but what about the ported choke tubes? Do ported choke tubes help the patern in any way? Any advice would be very helpful. I don't want to spend the extra money for no benefit and have my duck hunting buddies mad at me all year, but certainly willing to buy the ported ones if there is more upside than downside.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

no advantage at all.

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

No advantage at all?

What do you base that observation on?

FRedmon

4. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Excellent performance from Comp-n-Choke. I see tighter patterns..........using IM from 22yd line...............with 687II SP

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ported choke tubes are a NOISY and expensive solution to a non-existent problem. If you want a tighter pattern, just put in a tighter choke. Problem solved.

Easystreet

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Never seen any hard, factual proof that ported chokes offer any advantage. If you use a ported tube in an O/U with an unported tube, both come out really dirty. May be a solution to a problem which doesn't exist...they just cost more, are somewhat louder...but, some think they look cool. Regards, Ed

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have both (like most of us) and there is no dicernable difference except noise and that's worse. Skeeters and doubles shooters may get some benefit in upward reduced muzzle flip IF the holes are above center of the bore line and there is no way to make sure ported screw ins will index to the top and even then only one barrel, the one shot first need only be ported. If there is a recoil reduction it is from gas escape only because there is not enough thickness in the barrel wall to have deflected gas push the gun away from you like there is in a handgun or rifle. Sometime look at a muzzle break (port after a fasion) on a .50BMG Barrett and see just how much area there is for the gas to work against. I am like the others - makebelieve solution to a non-existant problem.

8. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

They make you look better when you miss.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are ported chokes loud
do ported choke tubes help
do ported shotgun chokes make a difference
do quality shotgun choke tubes really make a difference
ported choke
ported choke too loud

ported choke tube advantage

ported or unported choke tubes