1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ported barrels, increase value or not?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have never owned a ported barrel. I was told porting of barrels first started on machine guns to try to curb barrel lift. I don't know if barrel porting actually helps in trapshooting or not, but would like your opinions if a ported barrel increases the value of a gun's sale price?

I have heard that some shooters do not like shooting next to someone with a ported barrel due to some who say that ported barrels are louder than a non ported barrels?

Personally, I can not tell the difference as I'm have lost some of my hearing from years of shooting and just getting older.

So what has been your experience with purchasing or selling a gun with ported barrels? Any gun maker ever produce a gun with factory porting, if not, why not?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. 548

548 Guest

I don't like ported barrels. Just my personal preference.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Porting will increase the value of your guns. See if you can get an electric drill and some drill bits at a garage sale today. Then you can get them all ported tonight. HMB

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would not buy a gun that is ported unless it was a steal and I felt like I had to have it, I know I would be sorry ... Would probably take the loss and sell it shortly after getting it ... Short answer: "NO" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Makes no difference in value. Browning's come from the factory with
    ported barrels and it doesn't seem to hurt their sales. Many of my
    guns in the past have been ported but I can't tell the difference
    in recoil with or without. I also have never been bothered by someone
    shooting a ported barrel next to me.

6. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Increase value? No. Decrease value? Yes!!!!!!!!

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

Decrease in value. It is just logical, think about this:
    1. Are the barrels appearance an improvement after porting? =NO
    2. Is the structural integrity of the metal improved with porting?=No
    3. Since porting is shooter optional, doesn't it segregate shooters that rather not buy ported?=Yes
    4. From personal experience ported barrels are more difficult to sell, because they appeal to a smaller buying public.
    5. By consensus shooters prefer "unmolested" barrels" rather than barrels that have been altered by after market gunsmiths.
    Short answer is: They Do NOT increase value, au contraire.

8. alf174

alf174 Member

Lower value and I hate getting hot plastic spit at me by the ported barrels next to me.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'll never own another gun with a ported barrel. The one I had cracked in between the ports. Never again.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of porting mine back when it was all the rage....stupid...

Ron Burr

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

For "me" decrease. Ross Puls

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

The "value" depends on what the buyer wants.......some shooters will not buy a barrel unless it's ported & others don't like porting at all. I own both & can't tell a great deal of difference in either.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think things have changed as far as value is concerned. Wasn't long ago it added value. Perception has changed as to the benefits. Unfortunately, many of those older SBT's that are great guns, are now permanently changed, although they still perform the same for the shooter.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I p[refer non-ported Bbls, those Brownings w/factory ported Bbls make a lot of noise, and blow debris out the ports,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Never really saw any benefit, never had any of mine ported but shot some that were

16. wrd

wrd Member

If you can find identical guns, one ported and one not ported, try shooting at a pattern board using the same choke in each gun and identical loads. The ported gun will shoot a smaller, denser and much better pattern for the same reason that ported handguns are more accurate.
    Yes, they can be louder, especially with a shorter barrel. This is more a function of the load being shot.
    You are supposed to be wearing hearing protection anyhow.
    I have been shooting trap, on and off, for over 50 years. I have never been sprayed by a ported barrel. Most , if not all, barrels are angle ported and, if anything did spray out, would be sprayed forward.
    I currently own 4 guns with ported barrels and the only downside that I have found is that they are harder to clean. I can live with that in exchange for the better pattern.

17. alf174

alf174 Member

wrd, sorry, gotta call you out on this one: please show your data supporting the better pattern claim.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would like to see the data and actual proof that porting improves a pattern ... I have shot many pistols that were ported and cound not tell any difference between them and unported pistols ...

19. wrd

wrd Member

WPT. The theory behind porting is that muzzle blast following a projectile out of the barrel upsets the projectile and causes wobble. This affects accuracy. In a shotgun porting disperses some of the blast that upsets the back of the shot string. It allows the wad to slow down and gets it out of the shot string quicker. Someone makes chokes that are supposed to slow the wad down and accomplish the same thing.
    I used to live two minutes away from my local range and could spend a lot of time checking things out for myself. I humbly suggest that you do the same. I could send you all my old targets but you probably still would not believe.
    Suffice to say, i do not like cleaning ported barrels but I buy and shoot them anyway because I am convinced.

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"The theory behind porting..."

I am under the impression that the word "theory" is an educated guess.

All barrel porting amounts to is a snake oil salesman's claim to help him reduce the amount of money in your wallet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.