1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ported Barrels And Chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave L, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave L

Dave L TS Member

I just started shooting a couple years ago and noticed most of the guys that I shoot with have o/u with ported barrels.I am considering having my barrels ported. Just wondering if it really is worth the extra money to have this done.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Here we go again. I suppose it is time for the bi-weekly discussion of porting since we just had the bi-weekly discussion of release triggers. I think that the question of 7 1/2's or 8's is coming up next.

Anyway, the answer to your question is "No". As long as your barrel has a hole in each end, it has all the holes that it needs (unless it's a semi-auto, in which case it needs one or two gas port holes). I've got some porting holes in a couple of my O/U's which I would gladly give you for free if it would seal up the holes in my barrels.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with Easystreet. Save your money and spend it for something useful. Porting became common to reduce barrel-rise during recoil. It does, but not enough to warrant paying what porting costs, especially if you do not shoot doubles.

Excessive barrel rise has a number of causes, none of which are solved with porting the barrel(s). It has become popular to the point where manufacturers now offer ported guns, because buyers in the past have attempted to find a way to reduce barrel-rise and reduce the time necessary to get on a second target. The other reason is the hope of eliminating cheek-slap, the painful mashing of the cheek by the rising comb of the stock.

Porting can also subject adjacent shooters to more noise when the ported gun fires.

Rollin

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Dave, the concept for ported barrels or chokes is to change the recoil to a more straight line that non-ported. They do not change actual recoil. Felt recoil does change somewhat. I have a Remington 90T with two barrels, one ported, and one non-ported. There is no discernable difference in recoil. If you want recoil reduction, invest in a Gracoil, etc., or insure your barrel is back-bored.

As to ported chokes. They are designed to help lighten your wallet.

Best,
    Dennis

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I want my berrels deported, It also will affect value. You will not get anything back for that investment.

6. jlpollo

jlpollo TS Member

DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY

7. rmy

rmy Member

I disagree with almost everyone above. If I bought a new O/U for DOUBLES I would get it ported (at least the bottom barrel). JMO rmy

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

My barrels are ported by Pro Port. When I shoot, there is an obvious downward movement of the barrels. This has to remove at least a little cheek slap. After the shot cup passes the ports, the barrels begin to move down. This will lower the POI slightly but the time between when the shot cup passes the ports and when the shot leaves the barrel is so small, I do not know if the lowering of the POI is significant.

Ported barrels will lower the re-sale value of the gun to some, increase the value to others and make no difference to many. And, not all porting jobs are done with equal attention to detail.

I am convinced that a ported barrel does help when shooting the first shot in doubles. There are others who have opinions that are different from mine. I also shoot a PFS, double release triggers and I would never reload discount hulls. I suggest you do what you wish to do and not be too concerned about what others want you to do.

Pat Ireland

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto Pat's comments.

I have ported my P gun's single barrels in the past, and always my doubles gun.

I finally decided that the single barrel porting was such a distraction to other shooters on either side of me that I stopped doing that-in singles especially. At 27 yards it's not big deal as we are further away from each other. My last 3 P guns did not have the single bbl ported.

In doubles, however, because almost everyone around here has them ported, I simply became one of the gang.

It does help to reduce first shot barrel bounce... in my mind, anyway. The principle of expanding gasses pressing on a surface and forcing a reactive force, the same principle of rocket engine venturi exhaust, works for the angle porting and others as well.

Whiz

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

#1 - don't do it - spent the $$$ on shells
    #2 if you do- let Steve Baldwin - Mechanical Accuracy, Jones OK. do it-

11. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Barrel rise is helpful when shooting doubles. Get to the second higher bird faster.

Porting does help the buyer of your gun when you sell it. Buyer (or dealer) will object to the porting and want a price reduction. Buyer will then tout it to his friends that he got (your) gun for a great price which included free porting!

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll bite. For a long time, I was a huge proponent of both porting and choke tubes. I felt much the same as Whiz did. I was totally convinced that porting lowered "felt" recoil, and helped subdue muzzle jump for doubles. Subsquently, I sold my MX-15/MX-8 combo that had both ported and choke tubed barrels. I ended up buying a factory stock DB-81 combo with no porting and no tubes. I can honestly say, without hesitation, I can notice no discernable difference between this gun and my MX-15 except that I am shooting much better scores with the DB-81 than I ever did with the MX-15. It has no more felt recoil than the MX-15, has no porting holes to clean, no choke tubes to clean (and continually change when I got that uncontrollable urge to "open up that pattern a little more") and shoots just fine. While I would probably not let porting stand in the way of my purchasing a gun I really wanted, if I had my choice I would pass on the porting and the choke tubes. I'm convinced they will do nothing to make you a better shooter, nor will they help you in any way when it comes to shooting trap. While choke tubes may be beneficial in sporting clays, I don't feel porting has any substantial merits to justify the cost to do. Some shooters feel as I do, and some feel differently, and that's what makes the world go around. Only you can really answer the question by experiencing both for yourself. I'm sure that the majority of us that have shot both, at one time or another, could really do without either one......Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

right on.

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

yes, porting does work. just like a muzzle brake works on a rifle it does the same on a shotgun.. IT DOES REDUCE RECOIL AND MUZZLE JUMP. How do i know this? I tested it for the military on small arms weapons. Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a ported choke tube be used on a ported barrel

difference between ported and non ported choke tubes

ported choke
pros and cons of ported chokes
shotgun porting caused poi change
the difference between non ported barrels and ported barrels