1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Space Heater

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by djpk69, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Need a portable space heater for job sites. Just wondering if Mr.Heater is the way to go? Need something that will work on propane (and work indoors) and give off enough BTU's to heat at least 200 square feet.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't believe Mr Heater will do the job if it's real cold. The largest is 12,000 Btu's I think and will come close to making it bearable. I can't think of the name of one that I have but it's kind of loud. It has a blower and is adjustable from 20,000 to 50,000 btu's and you can get them at Walmart or Lowe's. Jackie B.

3. Drusso

Drusso Member

For about 100.00 you can pick a convection style heater at Lowes or Home Depot. They are the size of a 5 gallon bucket. I think the btu's vary to 80,000. They warm up the space quickly and has no moving parts. We have one in our flying clubs shed and it heats it very nicely. Remember any heater you buy should have adequate ventilation. Good luck

4. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Always with a heater get it bigger then you think you need. You can always turn it down. Second get propane. It will not give you a headache like others do.

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

NOTE...I'm only talking 200-400 square feet. I also want propane ....as it can be moved easily.Mr. Heater is the best I can come up with. Pro Com makes some "ventless propane heaters" but I wonder about their "parts" (getting them). I want something SAFE...INDOORS (on an addition, it may have some "outside air"). Most heaters above 10,000 BTU's NEED ?????????LOTS of AIR. Also.....the heaters I looked at.........say use a "filter".......if hooking to a 20# tank........saying some "oil" may screw up the heater ? Is there that BIG of a difference in 1# tanks (not economical) versus 20# tanks of propane ? Never heard THAT?

6. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Only the 1 lb tanks are legal to operate indoors, not the 20 pounders or greater. A lot of people do it anyway.

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

The Big Buddy heaters go up tp 18,000 BTU and run on the stubby one pounders x two or you get a hose and put the 20 pound tank outside. They have tip over safety and low oxygen sensor you can use them in a bedroom. They also have a fan in them that runs on two D cells or with an adaptor on 110 AC. I got mine at Tractor Supply, about $100.00 but others have them such as Sportmens Guide. Menards, Lowes etc. Big thing to watch out for in the Salamnder and the convection types in the Carbon Monoxide and the great deal of moistur they put into the air. Bill

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Mr. Haskins,....are you John's dad and do you live in P-burg? I play golf with John on Monday nights. I also re-did his basement. Do you use 1# or 20# tanks with yours? I see also you can get a "coupler" to re-fill 1# tanks. Sounds like a bit of a hassle to fill properly (exvacuate the tank,weigh it, etc). Also, why do they recomend a filter if going to the 20# tank ? Something about oil in the 20# ers?

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

All fossil fuels put water vapor in the air when burned, at approx one gallon of water per gallon of fuel.

I think the filter thing sounds like a gimmick, as they run on vapor, if there was any oil in the tank, which there shouldn't be it would stay in the bottom os the tank.

The oil in the tank sounds like a hose job somebody figured out, dump 5 lbs of oil in the tank, and you will pay for 20 lbs of lp and only get 15 lbs, as if it isn't a big enough rip off.

But 10-18000 btu should keep it toasty unless there are alot of air leaks.

Rick

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Yes, I'm thinking around 10,000 BTU's. I can use it for my jobs and in case of a power failure in my home . Seriously though, these lil maufactures say that there is a problem hooking up #20 without a filter. I'm thinking "RIGHT, a gimick". But reviews say there is "oil" in a 20# er that will screw up the heater? Fact or Myth? In actuality..I guesss a BBQ grill would run on a lil' oil but, an indoor heater may not?

11. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I use a lot of heaters and the regulator will fill up with oil but i use the #100 tanks .I use redi heat 100000 to 120000 they have a fan but they need alot of air. We used them for laying brick in the cold nebraska winter.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

dkusner: No I am not John's dad. The refill pare a nice to have if you use alot of the one pound bottles. No evacuation needed, yu are refilling a bottle taht has already been used, not like a brand new 20 lb. tank that needs to be evacuated before filling for the first time. Harbor Freight sells the refill adptors. Make sure they are all the way empty and put the bottles in the freezer for an hour or so. Attach the adaptor to the 20 lb.tank. Attach the one lb. to the adap. and then turn the whole thing upside down and crack the valve on the tank. When you hear the noise stop, close valve and remove little bottle. If yoi goof up and chill one with some gas still in and refill then when it returns to room temp the cylinder will vent off the excess. Not a good thing if inside a building! I don't know if the filters are a gimmick but the maunfactures seem to thing they are needed to use a 20 lb or larger tank on their products. Why take the cance of runinig a hundred dollar heater for the cost of the filter. By the way there are a lot of s##t house lawyers on here that think anything to do with safe use of a product is a scam to get you to spend more money when in effect many things are to insure your safety and enjoyment of a product. I use both types of tanks on my heater, depending on when and where I use them. I would go with the Big Buddy as you can always turn the heat down. I got mine at Tractor Suppy on Rte 25 on the way to Bowling Green. Real portable and convenient
    Remember a little electric heater of say about 1200 watts is five thousand BTU for a point of reference.Bill

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Thanks Bill. Do you shoot trap and where ? We shoot at Lakeland in Stoney Ridge. Ever been there ?

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I just bought a "Pro Com " 10,000 BTU ventless (indor/outdoor) heater from Harbor Freight......I see Northern Tool also sells them(great reviews). Paid $69 for it. Had Pearl LP gas here in N W Ohio make me up a 12' hose/regulator for $30. I can keep the 20# tank outside. Works GREAT. The LP gas owner told me that a filter was NOT needed (He actually laughed at the idea of it).I built a portable stand for it to take from job to job to my shop if needed.I always get my RV tanks refilled from this company. When I asked about refilling 1# ers....and freezing them first ......he said it's not only illegal.......it's VERY unsafe.Besides, I just bought 20 lbs. @ $.88= $17.50 . 1 lbers cost $2.55. X 20 = ALOT ($50). Mr. Heater is OK, but there ARE better options for the money.I realize 10,000 BTU's won't heat my home .......but, I also have wood back up .

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

dkusner Northern has a sale going on . Look on there web site .

I bought an LP heater like a Knipco 75,000 to 125,000 btu to my door for $187.00 . I,m heating alittle less then 1000 sqf

16. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Good price ALF.......but supposedly anything over 10,000 BTU's need at least a #100 tank. I wanted port-ability. That, and I can't beat Natural Gas versu LP in my area.

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

dkusner I will hook is up to my 500 gal. tank . I have a line in the building it will be used in . I need the 125,000 to heat things up fast then the 75,000 to keep it warm .

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

That works ALF....I'll just freeze with my 10,000 BTUs.....though my woodburner puts out more than enough to heat my 1200 sq. ft shop. I go thru 4 cords a year @ $150 a cord. $600/year is better than $1200 per year for Natural Gas to heat/cook in my 1500 sq. ft. Home ! Granted, my woodburner won't heat up QUICK......but after it has SLOWLY gotten the shop up to 70 degrees (on 0 degrees days).....2 OAK logs every 6 hrs maintains temp. I really like wood heat until February....then IT's gotten OLD.I lift every FRICKIN' piece of wood at least 3 times ......4 if I've cut it ! If nothing else my lil' 10,000 BTU LP heater will give me a break every once in a while.

19. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I was going to say I have not bought one pound cyliders for about 15 years now but I did have to buy some stubby one pounders for the Big Buddy heater. My understanding about refilling the one pounders is that you are not supposed to transport them over state lines? Who knows? As I mentioned about the freezing/cooling them that is from the instructions for the refill adaptor. Like I mentoned in the earlier post just be sure they are empty of you will overfill and it will vent as it warms up. I shoot at the PFA just south of Whitehouse, 7675 Schadel Rd. Whitehouse thursday evenings. About a mile south and around a corner from the Whitehouse Inn, some of the best prime rib in Northwest Ohio. Bill Hale

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Bill, the Whitehouse INN is my favorite place to eat.Never seen anyone go home hungry from there ! Plus, have you ever eaten a serving of their hash browns.......about a COW'S portion. Do you know Ted Janeda ????? he's from Whitehouse/belongs to Lakeland (Secratary) and Adams' club near Spring Meadows. So, you've never been to Lakeland in Stoney Ridge ? I've never heard of PFA....I'll ask , but what's with it (private? trap/skeet/5-stand? ).Lakeland has a lot of good ole (OLD) boys and $3.50 trap rounds.Tuesday/Thursday 6 PM /Sunday 12 noon . About 5 miles East of Perrysburg ( my hometown).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.