1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

portable skeet houses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PAK, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAK

PAK Member

Does anyone have any ideals on how to put a skeet field on a trap field and use 2 trap house. Then move the skeet houses a couple times a year to shoot a trap event. How are the houses held down or in place, ect. Any ideal, pictures, web sites or someone to talk to would be very much thanked.

thanks

Paul

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have 6 overlay fields. One very important thing: do not put the trap house under the flight line of the skeet targets.

Why not? This is a quiz, yiou will be graded on your answer. Let's see who gets it right.

HM

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

HM- Wind

4. halfmile

right on.

HM

5. PAK

PAK Member

help

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Halfmile, You lost me. Are you saying that having the trap house located in the target line of the skeet target creates an issue with the flight of the skeet targets? I look forward to your expaination. Thank you, Bob

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Lappawinzo F&G in PA has a set on rails and wheels. Since the traps were close together we were forced to bend the rails making a curve to avoid crossing the Handicap walkways.
    Designed and engineered by the old Fuller Co. and the 'dawg!!

8. Bob Hawkes

PAK, It should not be too difficult to create a portable skeet house. We had to do it to add an additional skeet field needed once a year for a larger shoot. We only had to build a high house. We put a concrete pad in the proper location with some anchors cast into it to bolt the high house down. Naturally this required a little work in planning to laying out the field properly. When I read your post, are you trying to lay out one skeet field over 2 trapfields? Good luck Paul, Bob

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

We built a trap skeet overlay with cargo containers.Stacked 2 high for the high house and 1 for low.We do not plan on moving them but you could with the correct fork lift and easy disconnects on the elelectrical.

Darr Wilson

10. halfmile

Bob, the issue is the target flight. Any air movement at all creates turbulence over the trap house, and targets dance when the pass over it. The worst is wind from left to right or vice versa.

If you aren't used to it it can cost you. Nobody caught that issue when we redid the fields. I shoot at places where the trap is ahead or behind the flight line and conditions are usually better.

Our skeet walks are at 21 yards. I have been to clubes where the walks are at either 16 or 27, and trust me, they are better.

Of course, it does teach you to be alert. Usually what happens is the target hops and the shooter tries to catch it, then the target goes back to the flight line and the shooter misses.

Back to the topic:

Pak, it sounds like you shoot mostly skeet and want to have a couple trap events. making the houses moveable for a couple events a year is a lot more work than you need.

I would simply put in overlay fields. Just put the walk at 27 yards.

In other words have the trap house forward of the skeet target center stake.

HM

11. Bob Hawkes

HM, I'm not going to disagree with you. We have a similar condition where we have nine combination fields. We had the benefit of the skeet fields existing before the trap houses were built many years ago. We've always attributed the "dancing targets" to the configuration of the skeet house roofs. We're probably both a little bit correct in our assumptions. I guess when you think of it, a dancing or bouncing target in skeet is generally more apparent than in trap. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

12. PAK

PAK Member

help

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Station 8 cannot be shot.
    Wayne

14. halfmile

Wayne, WTF are you talking about?

HM

15. Bob Hawkes

HM, Wayne sure got a laugh out of me, between his comment and your reply. I don't think he realizws you end up a few yards away from the trap house on station 8 if the target flight is over the trap house.

Paul, I guess I don't fully understand your question that you first asked seeing as you're still saying "HELP". Are yo looking for all portable houses? Skeet and Trap? Bob

16. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

PAK,

I think that there are a number of people here willing to help you, but your question is a bit vague. Please re-phrase your question and include additional details of what you are trying to accomplish. There is a wealth of information here…you just need to be clear in your question.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Check out:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/facility_mngmnt/design/tech_drawings/plan6.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
build a skeet house
portable skeet house designs

portable skeet houses

portable trap house
skeet and trap houses
skeet houses
skeet trap houses
trap and skeet houses