1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Drill advice (not trap related)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jakearoo, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am about to embark on a small construction project that will require drilling through top rail and screwing in self tapping screws through concrete board and bolting done 1/2 inch lag bolts. Want a hand held cordless drill that is reasonably light weight but powerful and well made.
    Any one have a strong recommendation?
    Thanks, Jake

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Dewalt

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Since Porter Cable got bought and was cheaped out by Black & Decker (so they wouldn't compete with DeWalt), DeWalt is the best choice. But they offer lots of options. A 14.4V is fine for 95% of what most people do, including putting up drywall or concrete board. How many lag bolts are you talking about and what diameter & length? You might need an impact driver instead of a regular cordless drill.

-Gary

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DeWalt hands down but i also bought a Milwaukee Impact driver. For driving lag bolts and screws there is no better tool than an impact gun. It will bury lag bolts in oak and doesn't put the torgue on your wrists like the cordless drills do. I bought the Milwaukee but DeWalt also makes a great impact. I'm telling you that Milwaukee impact is mean. It will snap bolts if you allow it.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You can buy combo sets with drill and impact driver. My preference is Makita but Dewalt is also good. If your budget is tight take a look at Bosch or Rigid.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I wouldn't call my 19.2V Craftsman light, but it has power to spare. I have never had a problem with it, regardless of how hard I push it.

JON

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

18 volts minimum

8. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

We put up a metal building for our business. Bought Bosch and Dewalt, our
    guys fough over the Bosch, it got used twice as much. At home have Bosch
    and Makita. Had DeWalts, but all died long ago. Bosch and Makita are out-
    standing. Good luck, Gary Owen

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

DeWalt impact.

I have the older 12V and now the newer, lighweight 12V Lithium.

Love them both and my other DeWalts are 18V, but I like the newest 12VL.

WW

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I have used and been around Amish buloders and construction workers who have used all the above plus Milwaukee and Panasonic. If you do a little google search you will find that the longest lasting battery and the best rated is the Panasonic. It drives twice as many 6" screws on a single charge as the closest competitor. An Amish friend that has a cabinet shop has been thru all the ones mentioned and he and his brother that has a construction business both use Panasonic 18v drills now. I found it hard to believe as well cause no one talks about Panasonic cordless tools around here but they are the chit. I have a Bosch set and a neigbor and good friend has the Rigid and between those two the Bosch is a lot better. Another neighbor has a constuction business and uses only Dewalt tools but has lots of battery problems. He is looking heavily at the Panasonic stuff now after a trial. Fior driving lag bolts and really long screws nothing beats the new impact drills.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Let's be practical here. I have had them all. Whatever you do do not buy Ryobi.
    I think they use their batteries in the plant for a year bfore sending them out.

Had Milwaukee, Porter-Cable,2 types of B & D, and De Walt. The best for the money was a 14.4 B & D I got with a tool box, 39 bucks for the whole thing. Lo to my surprise the batteries fit my 14.4 De Walt, and cost 37 bucks instead of 60.

I found the 14.4 fit my hand better and was less fatiguing than the 18's which were lopsided and wore out my wrist. 14.4 balances better.

1/2 inch lags need some juice, Tapcons work in any thing. Go to Lowe's and swing them around. Then buy a De Walt if you want good. BD is adequate, and you sound like the kind of guy who won't wear it out with constant use.

HM

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm a bricklayer and have been using the same 14.4 DeWalt hammer drill for over 10 years. I have to put a lot of TAP-CONS in masonry and concrete and it has never failed me.

HM, Black & Decker owns DeWalt. I use B&D batteries in mine, but they don't last as long as the DeWalts. JMO

Wayne

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

B%D for $39 or $59 at Home Depot, I can't remember which. Why waste money on a one off job. The B&D's work fine.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You will never be disapointed with Makita, but if you don't want to lay down that much, I'd suggest the Craftsman 19.2V model. I bought one 5 years ago that came with a flash light and 2 19.2v batteries. I've used the crap out of it and it really has been an excellent unit (unlike most of my other Craftsman power tools that I have owned in the past).

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the Dewalt/B&D batteries. My 14.4v DeWalt is in need of some new batteries soon.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

B&D is a cheap, home-owner / hobbyist type product. If you use tools much, you can not possibly be a B&D fan. Their DeWalt line is infinitely better.

-Gary

17. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

As mentioned in one response, consider an impact driver. They are smaller, lighter, and will drive lag bolts like nothing else. They feel different when using it than the traditional drill. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch are the top brands to consider.

Dave

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I had a 14.4 volt Makita and loved it. When the batteries finally needed to be replaced I decided to buy a new drill. I found a very good deal on a 14.4 volt Bosch and feel it is as good or better than the Makita. You can't go wrong with either one.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

18v Makita combo set. The set I have is the hammer drill and the impact driver. A good investment now will most likley last a lifetime.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bosch. I have the driver/impact lithium ion combo and LOVE them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.