1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Air Conditioners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mike K P, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have an upstairs bedroom that gets really warm even with the central air. Has anyone had experience with the free standing portable air conditioners? How do they compare to the window units? Also, how does the venting work. Any info at all would help.
    Thanks. Mike Pracht.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I've used one of the roll around portables and they're ok. They have to be vented to the outside via a dryer type hose through a window and you have to empty the drip pan every few hours so it doesn't over flow. Given the choice between a portable and a window unit, go for the window unit for cost saving, cooling efficiency and less noise in the room.

Eric

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've used one of those portable units for 3 summers. Works fine. You do have to vent it out a nearby window as mentioned above. The big plus is being to easily move it around and being able to vent out a window that may not be appropriate for a window unit. I'm happy...

Bruce

4. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

get one with the lowest noise rating.

works fine in proper sized room.

dave

5. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

What has been said above is true. This is my first summer with one. Something that I would add is to get a larger[btu] unit. My window ac is a 5000btu and works great. The portable unit is 9000 btu and is nice but does not cool as effiently as the window unit in the same size room. The 9000btu is good for a 12 by 15 room but be sure to keep the door closed. Tim

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

There are also some units that use the condenser to evaporate the condensation so you only have to dump the condensate container when it is super high relative humidity, alot of times in normal operation you never have to empty it, it blows out the window as water vapor

7. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I went with a nice window unit. Sounds like a little less hassle.

Mike.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Window unit will likely use less power and do a better job at cooling. It should also cost you less to purchase in the first place. Just be sure to look at the energy ratings and get one with a high enough BTU rating to do the job.

9. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Look into what is called a mini-split system. Small condenser (outside) with a small evaporator coil that hangs inside. Quiet, energy efficient, & quailifies for the tax rebate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.