1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Air Compressor Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Westie, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Looking to buy one for use in a home workshop. Need it to do stuff like power a nail gun, put a tubeless tire on a rim, etc. Like to be able to wheel it around. Any advice on how big I need or what brand? Thanks.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Any of the little portable compressors at Home Depot, Lowes , Harbor freight will do all the stuff you want ... except put a tubless tire on a rim. For that you need a BIG compressor, like they have at the tire shops.

They start at around $50 and go up ... according to quality. For a home workshop, a cheapy will do.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to need large quantity of air Ahab is right, if you are going to try to run an impact wrench or other high consumption equipment you'll be better off spending a little more up front. Such as a 2 cylinder pump--oil type--(belt drives are quieter if you can find them) 20 gal tank etc. Ross Puls

4. chemist

chemist Member

if you are using air tools like a grinder or air impact the pressure is not the only issue, the air volume needed to run them efficiently should be considered. Look at the Want Ad press in your area as they sometimes have good deals on used compressors. Stay away from harbor freight and junk stuff. JMO

rich kaplan - chemist

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DO NOT get an oil less air compressor. It will not last. Whatever you buy, make sure it is oil lubricated like a gas engine is. I would also suggest a twin cylinder pump as mentioned above. Numbers you need to pay attention to, are the Max pressure and CFM. The more, the better.

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have a Sears 2hp and it does all those things fine. Including filling air toys for the annual river transportation. Inner tubes, float boats, etc.
    The compressor is a Craftsman Commercial. About $150.

Chuck

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the basic question for your use is do you want one with a handle, to carry, or one with wheels.

The wheeled one will have a larger tank and be better for high volume tools.

I have a little 90 dollar one from Sears I use for nailers and tire inflation, etc.

The larger one with wheels sits unused.

Oilless models work like an aquarium pump, just a big loud vibrator. But a carry model will have that. a wheeled model could have a piston type pump or a vibrator.

It sounds to me like your choice would be based on budget, almost any will do the work you want.

HM

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have a Sears Craftsman on wheels.

Its a 1 horsepower, 12 gallon cast iron single cylinder, oil bath, belt driven. What you want to look for is how much air it will put out...This one is 2.4 scfm @ 90 psi and 3.7 scfm and 40 psi.

Your air tools should state what requirements are needed to operate them. Great little air compressor and it will do anything you stated. Been along time since I bought it but I think it was around $150.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.