1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Port or Not??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

I would like some feedback; I have a Beretta un-single combo, and would use the O/U bbls for doubles. I am curious as to what some of you feel about porting only the bottom bbl. so as to minimize the lift. I know the drawback is the slight increase in noise, but I wonder about the positive benefit to muzzle lift by porting only the bottom bbl. I do not think there is a benefit to porting both bbls in this scenario. Thanks for the feedback.
    Neil

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Neil.... At one time, I was a big believer in ported guns. Not anymore. I now have a combo that is not ported, and my doubles scores are better than they were with the ported gun. I don't think the cost justifies the results when it comes to porting and I won't buy another ported gun...Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Neil R,

Please don't port your gun! I used to think that porting in a doubles gun was a necessity, but not anymore.

I started playing around with lighter loads for my first shot and found what I was looking for. Just for giggles sometime, load yourself some 7/8oz 8's or 8.5's going about 1200 fps and see how they work for you. I mis very, very few first targets and helped me being smooth. The only drawback to this is you'll start getting to the second target much quicker and won't know what to do with it until you adjust. Just my thoughts.

ec90t

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Yes, please port your barrel. The people who provide this service need the business.

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

What in the hell does porting a gun have to do with sponsoring a shooter? Beam me up Scotty.

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

Again I ask, 80, what in the hell does porting a gun or not porting a gun have to do with sponsoring any shooter? Please use your brain this time.

7. 333t

333t Member

It would seem to me that any slight reduction in muzzle lift resulting from porting would be pretty meaningless when you are going to have to make a substantial lateral movement to get on the second target anyway. In my view, muzzle lift is really a rapid fire handgun issue and has little application to shotgun sports. To me, the negative aspects of porting (cleaning, loss on resale value, possible harm to adjacent shooters, etc.) outweigh any imagined positive aspects.

Phil

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Neil, my experience differs greatly with those that don't believe in porting, done correctly, ie pigeon porting by pro port gives benefits, reduces muzzel jump, easier on the face back and neck during long shoot offs, etc. they don't clog, and they work! I had 2 k-80 sets of barrels, both 32 in. both bored 737, both 18 thou bottom and 30 thou. top, 6 shooters were involved in the test, all AA or better, all 6 plus me concurred that there was a definite reduction in jump, recoil. testing was on the same gun, AA 2 3/4 -8 shells, new, no reloads, I know many All-Americans personally that have paid to have their guns pigeon ported, maybe trap 2;s new o/u fit him better hence the better scores, but it's just conjecture, suit yourself, ps, I sent the unported o/u out and had that ported too! see you in the shootoffs! incinerate em!

9. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Thanks friends for the feedback, I appreciate it. Maybe I will sponsor a Jr. Shooter :)
    Regards, and have a great time busting them.............
    Neil

10. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

K-80 .... He is only going to ask again. You cannot engage what is not there or is in disfunction. That is really a great suggestion.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i like it. less recoil and muzzle jump. but the burnt powder gets all over the barrel. Must clean every time.

12. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Less recoil with ports. Uhhh, don't think so.

13. skip

skip Member

DON'T DO IT!

14. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Port? Definitely! I prefer the Warres 1966, if available.

LL

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Port em! Won't change a thing in the pattern. Will be a PITA to clean. And, as a bonus, will make your gun worth about 25% less for resale. Great idea. Jake

16. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

I have yet to understand why when someone asks a legitimate question, there are always a few with ridiculous comments. Why can't we all be civil? Sure would be nice.
    Neil

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I owned a ported gun in the past. I bought it used and that's how it came. It had Wilkinson style porting that did nothing and was a real pain to clean. I'd never have one ported myself. In fact i turned down several otherwise good deals on O/U barrels because they were ported. If you absolutely must have your barrel ported, choose someone who uses EDM and a pattern with largish holes angled up and back.

For the first shot at doubles I don't mind some muzzle climb. I use a 1oz load for the first shot and have no problem moving to the second target. Hitting it all the time is another matter.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

All the barrels on my tournament arms are ported. I only use Angle porting and have great results. Less muzzle flip combined with lighter shot loads makes the game easy.

Don't worry about resale. There are enough folks who prefer porting to not worry about it.

Those folks using heavy loads and unported guns are handicapping themselves. Good for me!

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

My K-80 has ported barrels. I got it used and it came that way.

Oh well. I will live with it.

Don

20. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Drew, I never heard of a gun shooting flatter after being ported--could you elaborate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.