1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Port or not to port

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Delbert, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Boy, did you ever open up pandora's box.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Please buy one that's already ported.

ec90t

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Why, it's like global warming. The science is in and it's incontrovertible...

<evil cackle and running for cover>

4. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

Bernie, use proport i have had many guns done by them and they did a good job

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Absolutely not worth the money! Lengthen/remove forcing cones yes; backbore, maybe. But leave out those useless little noisy holes!

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When Seitz, Bowen, Alfermann & Devault start porting their guns, porting may have some real value. Porting is the equivalent of Vogue tires on a Cadillac, sales gimmic.

Lou

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Spent lots of money on Pro-Porting that could have been better spent on hotrod parts, beer, ammo.....and lots of other more worthwhile things....

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Forget it. It's a total waste of money.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would pay to deport my gun.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have all of my barrels ported. When I shoot, the mussel end of my gun goes down. Prior to porting, the barrel went up after I shot. This may, or may not reduce felt recoil to my face. When shooting doubles, the downward movement of the barrel after the first shot is advantageous.

If I were to purchase another gun, I would have the barrels ported by Pro Port. Clearly, not everyone shares my opinion.

Pat Ireland

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Irrelevant, Spend your thoughts and cash elsewhere, I would Prefer to buy a used gun with as few as possible hands working on it, but I would not let a good deal slip by just because it was correctly ported.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Seitz ported every barrel I have that was worked buy him. The fact that porting works is incontrovertible. How well is another question. The noise may offset any perception of recoil reduction. If your shooting a second shot and the porting is properly done there will be a decrease of muzzle rise.

Porting will not increase the value of the gun! It may decrease it.

The governments of the world would not spend millions of dollars porting the barrels of tanks and mobile artillery if it didn't work.

In my observation Rhino porting does control muzzle rise. I know this from direct observations.

Having said all of the above most of my guns that I use presently are not ported.

Joe goldberg

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"The governments of the world would not spend millions of dollars porting the barrels of tanks and mobile artillery if it didn't work."

Joe, I don't think I've ever seen a ported cannon. Muzzle brakes, sure, but porting...? Could you supply a picture? Are there any differences between cannon (or high power rifles, for that matter) and shotguns that would affect how well porting or muzzle brakes might work?

Pat, this is one of the few times I believe you're just flat wrong.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to use it for doubles, port the lower barrel. HMB

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Pat,

What size shot do you use for mussels? They are tasty. lol

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you want to reduce felt recoil, give yourself more cleaning time and maybe get less for your barrel when you go to sell-just do it!

My O/U barrels are Pro-Ported but I will no longer port a single barrel-Please don't ask me why except for the reasons listed above!!

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

DO NOT DO IT!!! Total waste of money and shoot too loud, Don'tdo it. Gun will be friendlier to you and the guy next to you.

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

another way to spend money and make your gun worth less.

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't care for porting. However, I beleive Joe G. and Pat I. are correct. I have had 2 MX 10 RS's in the last year. Randy Ross's sold me his gun and then bought it back. It has Proporting. It is much dirtier but I belive his gun has less muzzle jump than my nonported gun. Now if I can only get the same results as Randy????
    Charlie

20. just_bob

just_bob Member

Just say no.
    There are too few good ones left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.