1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Port or Not to Port

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ok, do placebos really help people?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Having the lower barrel of your doubles gun ported helps reduce muzzle rise. HMB

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bob Schoenrock's still wiping debris from his eyes. Ask his opinion on porting...

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Greatest thing since sliced bread. Do it and you won't be sorry one bit. It lightens your wallet when you have it done and when it goes up for sale. This way sitting will be much more comfortable and won't have to squirm around because of a thick wallet.

ss

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Come on you sorry bunch of party poopers. It looks "cool"....and sounds "cool".

6. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Do it. If you are on squad that has someone that gets all bent out of shape about porting, it might cause him to drop a bird or two. That in itself is worth the price.

7. lwr_

lwr_ Member

You may want to sell your gun one day. Guns with porting are becoming increasingly harder to sell.

8. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 Member

All it did for me is make the gun realy loud. I didn't notice any reduction in recoil.

Dick

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The previous owner of a Krieghoff Model 32 30" O/U barrel I use on my K80 had the bottom barrel only ported, presumably for trap doubles.

I use this barrel a lot for sporting clays, sometimes firing the bottom barrel first, sometimes the top.

I can't tell any difference in recoil, muzzle jump, noise or anything else between the top and bottom barrels.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you are a "so-so" shooter, I recommend you shoot lighter loads. 1 ounce perhaps, and max of about 1180 fps. I shoot 1-1/16 ounce for practice and stuff, and real shells for ATA (new ones). There are only two porting styles I approve of, Magna port (ProPort) and Seitz style. It will not help you move from 80s to 90s. But porting may net you a bird if you shoot 8000 ATA targets a year. Dont' do it for league, dont' do it for just shooting targets at the club.

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

you're not paying attention

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend my own money to drill holes on barrels, but I won't reject a barrel solely because it's ported.

I own couple ported barrels, I shot next to ported barrels almost regularly, haven't noticed anything different yet.

One thing I noticed is most Olympic shooters have ported barrels, including Kim Rhode. When I asked her about those holes on her barrels, she said she can feel the differences before and after.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm with Steve W on this. He is absolutely right

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If I could invent a process to restore those barrels back to original for $200 per barrel I would be a millionaire in no time.

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

Steve, MIA, you are correct, the jist of the question is that in a nutshell, should you be a mediocre shooter and don't want to REALLY work to get better, save your money , should you aspire to get better and improve, seek help and improve, Pro Port pigeon porting is the way to go, I have been so blessed to have shot with the cream of the crop, and on a 5 man squad, 99.9% have pro ported guns, and we PAY to have this service done because it just works! Should you want to stay status quo, fine, at least get some good instruction from a good shooter, when you get to a higher level, you will appreciate a properly ported gun. incinerate em!

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

bigben the blessed, what makes Pro Port better than the rest? I am not a jet propulsion engineer , not blessed and never shot on a big dog squad. Looks like the walls of a barrel are so thin that the shape of the port would be irrelevant.
    How does such thin material redirect the gases to any meaningful extent?

17. bigben

bigben Active Member

Johnny, great question! Pro port pigeon porting directs gasses so that the exhaust is up [which keeps the muzzel down] every action ther is an equal reaction. we had years ago tested my two k- 80 o/u barrels, both tuned and corrected by Tom Wilkinson, 740 bore, 18 bottom, 30 top barrel constrictions one pigeon ported, the other stock, no ports! now Johnny this is significanr!, 10 out of 10 ACCOMPLISHED trap shooters in blind testing chosed the ported barrels over the unported . less recoil , less muzzel climb, better acquistion on the second doubles target. These accomphished shooters have shot a substantial 100 straights in doubles in their careers. Niel Winston had made some benchrest tests, and concluded that the pro ported barrels jumped 3 inches less!. We know it works, I wish you the best, incinerate em!

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

tell us bigben,

How does 11,500 PSI equate into any meaningful reduction in muzzle rise or recoil in a tube that measures .740 id 28" past the point of origin?

I really want to hear your expert analysis of how this allegedly happens.

ss

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

At most, it can probably reduce recoil by about 2%. At most.

Yes, it probably does reduce muzzle rise.

Its your money.

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It's got to help. Browning does it to their competition guns.
    I've had several guns with it but can't tell the difference
    in recoil reduction. It think all the complaining about muzzle
    blast doesn't carry water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.