1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pork Carnitas Recipe ( found a good one Thx JMAS)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My wife and I are excellent cooks. we enjoy mexican dishes or anything hot & spicy. We have decided to bypass the traditional Turkey dinner and make Carnitas. We have a local Mex restaurant that does an awesome job on Carnitas but don't have the recipe. Is there any of you food conisours that have a recipe you like??

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

Pork
    ?3-4 pounds of boneless pork shoulder (may be called Boston butt) or 4-5lbs of bone-in pork shoulder
    Spice rub
    Note: This amount of spice works well for the amount of meat we normally use (3-4lbs), but it's a simple ratio so simply scale it for your amount of meat

?1 tsp kosher salt
    ?1 tsp chile powder
    ?1 tsp cumin (freshly toasted and ground if you can--it does make a difference)
    ?1 tsp garlic powder
    Braising liquid
    ?3/4 cup orange juice
    ?Water to cover (for our pan that's usually about 2 cups)
    Technique
    1.Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed oven-ready lidded pan over medium high heat with just enough vegetable oil (or lard if you have it) to cover the bottom .
    2.Pre-heat oven to 300ºF
    3.Cut pork into 1-2" cubes, trimming large sections of fat off (we need fat for the flavor, so just cut off any real large pieces). Toss pork pieces with spice rub.
    4.Brown the cubed pork well in the dutch oven, going in batches so there is only one layer of meat at a time.
    5.When all the meat is browned, deglaze the pan's bottom with the orange juice, stirring to break up the brown bits. Introduce all of the meat back to the pan and cover with water until it's nearly submerged.
    6.Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven.
    7.Stir the pot after one and two hours, the pork should be very tender towards the third hour. When you're confortable with the tenderness, evacuate all the pork to a platter and begin to boil the braising liquid on the stove top.
    8.After letting the pork cool for a few minutes work through with your hands to separate and discard any fat or gristle pieces that hadn't melted in the braise. Tear the meat into smaller pieces.
    9.Turn your broiler on to high and place a rack towards the top
    10.Toss the now shredded pork with some of the reduced braising liquid (that should have boiled down significantly by now) and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
    11.Broil the pork for approximately five minutes per side until the outside begins to carmelize
    12.Serve! We like it best in tacos, but there's no wrong way to eat carnitas.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cuban,

I wanted to try this also but could not find the cuban marinade.

So...I cut back the skin cap leaving it hinged, pierced about ten slots down to the bone,then rubbed in a mix of brown sugar hot garlic chilli paste,chilli powder,vinagar,wistershire and orange juice.{my concoction-don't have a clue}.

I then pulled that skin back over the shoulder and tied it all up with butcher twine, place in fridge overnight.

I'm going to brown it on 450* for a bit then slow cook all night on 225* in a roaster-then put it under the broiler just to crisp up the skin a few minutes( my cut is very large}.

You can then pull it apart, lay on flat pan and brown again to dry out a bit.
    serve with warm corn tortillas, soup beans and cilantro rice.

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but i think it will be better than the inlaws regualar Turkey ALa dry.

4. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

the best I've had are here at a local Mexican place. I have never been able to get the texture close to what they have...so I asked them. They slow cook the pork, like mentioned above. Then they cut it into chunks and DEEP FRY it to get that crunchy crust on the outside. It's good.

I just did not want deep fry and add more fat back to the pork. I may try the broiler method that jmas mentioned....that sound like the best of both worlds!

5. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

make these too, goes great with tacos...
    Pickled Red Onions
    Cebollas en Escabeche

Makes 1cup
    Ingredients

1 small red onion, peeled and cut in half
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    Salt
    Directions

With a knife or food processor, thinly slice the onions. Scoop into a non-reactive bowl. Pour boiling water over them, count to 10, then immediately pour the onions into a strainer. Shake off all the water, pour the onions back into the bowl, pour on the lime juice and stir in the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

These will last for a week or more in the refrigerator.

6. cubancigar2000

Mucho Thx guys

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

cubancigar2000- I am not a good cook. In fact I don't even open cans well. But, I am an outstanding eater and I like the same types of food you like. I do, now and then, accept invitations to dinner.

Pat Ireland

8. cubancigar2000

Pat, too bad you live across the country but if you want to come out, you are welcome at my table. Maybe when I visit my Bro in Knoxville we could do it. He cooks also

9. cubancigar2000

JMS, the wife and I decided on your recipe for Thanksgiving. It really sounds great. I will report back

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just trimmed a small slice off this joint of pork, after slow roasting all night it melted in my mouth with crispy skin on the edge. After taste of carmelised spicey sweet goodness hits the taste buds.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

cubancigar2000- FedEx has overnight service and I have a microwave. Or, we could meet at the Dixie Grand. Or, I can just dream.

Pat Ireland

12. cubancigar2000

Pat - I could do that and probably would not even need dry ice. It was 2 below last night. The meat is cooking now and it smells so good.. I have to stand guard over it or the wife will have it all gone before it is ready LOL. I think JMAS has a winner in this one

13. cubancigar2000

Well I said I would report on the final outcome with JMAS recipe. We try new recipes weekly for lots of things and they rarely work out but we keep trying because we love to eat. We eat out a lot but we cook at home a lot too because there is only one Mex Rest we really like in the area ( we once drove all the way to Salt Lake just to eat at a restaurant featured on the food channel. (360 miles to Salt Lake) We just live to eat. Ok now for the update- This recipe is to die for. These were the best Carnitas we have ever experienced & like I said, we have been all over eating Mex food. ( Arizona, Indiana, Florida,Calif, Washington,Utah,Oregon,Kentucky, Tenn, Louisianna,the Carolinas, South Dakot, North dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and some states I have missed including Mexico. We followed his recipe to the tee and he is correct about the "freshly ground cumin seeds roasted" I think this was what puts it over the edge. This recipe took us about 4 hrs start to finish but well worth it and I believe we could do it in less the next time. Thanks JMAS for taking the time to print it out and share it with me and others. Your Grandmother was obviously a great cook. Mine was Amish and I have many recipes from here but none Mexican. Lou M Garden City Idaho ( same as Boise)

14. cubancigar2000

I forgot to mention - I used my Kitchenaide Coffee grinder to grin the Cumin seed and you can guess what my coffee tastes like now. I even washed the blades and blew out the machine with my air compressor. LOL

15. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Seems you should be making your coffee with tequilla for a few days to clean out the coffee grinder??????

Dave B

16. cubancigar2000

Up for an outstanding recipe from JMAS & thx again. My wife wants it every meal now LOL

17. C1

C1 Member

WOW, I fixed this yesterday and it is one of the best things I ever had.

Trapshooter.com is without a doubt THE best place for recipes on the whole internet. Never met a trapshooter who didn't like to eat. I'll bet if you talk trapshooting places the conversation will eventually include the best restaurant in the area.

Thank for the recipe.

Gary Riecke

18. cubancigar2000

Gary, I couldn't agree more, Thx to JMAS. Best thing I ever ate period!!! We decided to double the spice recipe and also save the juice for adding to the meat. When the juice gets cold, there will be some yellow fat on top. You wont believe what that does for breakfast fried potatos and eggs. It's just plain good on anything. When you use the carnitas for tacos ( corn tortillas is a must) pour some of the leftover juice on your meat... Oh my god

19. cubancigar2000

Vern, this recipe has no heat.. I make it hot with our salsa and fried jalapenas but if you use the recipe as written, no heat at all

20. cubancigar2000

up for an outstanding recipe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chilli pattoo

make chilli pattoo