1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poping sound on primer station on mec 9000?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bowhunting11, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

When loading I have been having problems. 1. When I pull down the handle and the primer gets inserted it makes a "POP" NOISE. And when it makes that noise I feel a cat catch somewhere in that area. every thing is lubed up? It doesn't beseem to be a big deal but it could be . 2. In the first station after putting in a hull and pull down Handel it is not getting dropped.into the hole unless.I kinda guide it..

2. WJN

WJN TS Member

I have the same noise and thought it was the primer station but after running several shells through solo it was the wad station. I did some adjusting on the wad guide and it seemed to help some but I still get it. I talked to MEC and they suggested replacing and adjusting the wad guide but said it was annoying but not anything of significance. I was also having a few shells hang on the wad before I did the adjusting. Not sure this relates to your issue but sounds similar. I have also noticed some hulls don't get the noise as much as others.

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Sometime it can be deceiving what is making the noise. In my experience, the popping noise could actually be a wad hanging up for a time going thru the guide. Of course if this happens on the first shell thru the priming station I am wrong.

Regarding hull not dropping at #1, try popping out the base to make sure no shot is caught in there, and make sure nothing is blocking from underneath the press (spent primers etc.)

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

what hull are you using?

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Ok,similiar problem except mine is on the upswing of handle.Pops,and shakes machine just enough to shake some shot out of the station that just loaded the shot.Aggravating as heck,and causes me to slow down to clear out any shot that might be rolling around before it gets down into collet.Tried anti seize on collet thinking it was sticking,but still happens.Have replaced shell lifter and rod that pushes shell back up,and wad guide.Next I guess would be collet.I'll keep replacing parts til it goes away I guess,.

Doug H.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Its the primer seating. Some of the hulls and Primers have a near sharp edge and the hull pushes the primer till there is enough force to pop the primer into its seat. Most common with Eurotrash hulls and large european sized primers.

T

7. shootsome

shootsome Member

My experience is the same as TBaber. When I use NobleSport primers, I hear the pop as the primer seats.

8. xtj

xtj Guest

I had that problem switched from noble sport primers cured it.
    N/s and rio primers are a couple of thousandts over size.

Worked for me.

xtj

9. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Im using Remington hulls

10. ring3

ring3 Member

Found the problem with mine hanging up on the return stroke was a sticking collet. After a good cleaning and re-lube with Tri-Flow grease all is well. I now clean and lube the collet regularly.

I get the snap on the down stroke occasionally. Seems to occur with Rem hulls. Has 't been a major issue for me yet. My guess is the primer seats into the hull suddenly causing the quick snap.

Please post if you find the problem and/or solution.

11. FLIP

FLIP Member

load one at a time think you will find the poping at the wad station,move wad guide up a little

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No. YOu guys are all wet. It is stuck primers. Adn when they finally do release the plunger fully seats in the hull. you can prove this by taking a couple dozen hulls, get them wet and dry alternately over a couple of weeks and every one will "POP". It is the steel bezel of the primer sticking to the brass base because of corrosion/rust. harmless. Fugget-about-dit

13. WJN

WJN TS Member

I would like to think that is it MIA but when I run mine through solo the only station I get the pop is the wad station. YOUR WRONG! Unless my machine is just messing with me. :)

Jim

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just seems so. Try the rusted primer routine. That is what I did with some hulls I had around that were washed and also some 5 yr old once fired AAs from th grand. Everyone of those popped. Still have a thousand of those and every sone will pop. All stuck primers.

15. WJN

WJN TS Member

I will have to admit MIA that is exactly what it sounds like.

16. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Ur saying my hulls are rusty?? Ur wrong. not one of these hulls have ever hit the ground!

17. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

[​IMG]

This is what is making noise.. I watched it when loading.. When it runs smooth and makes no sound it will look fine.. then sometimes when I pull down the handle it will like jerk like its catching something

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

The noise mine made was the De-primer and re-sizer on station 1. oiled the link and NO more noise. just saying!!!! joe90t

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

When I loaded on a MEC 9000, once fired STS hulls were always noisy and pulled harder. I don't know what Remington uses to seat their primers from the factory, but man are they in there. Never had any issues knocking out the primers after they were reloaded once. The came out a lot easier and I didn't have to pull as hard on the lever. I could always tell when a virgin hull was going through the loader.

I only reloaded Remington, Winchester, and Cheddite primers.

ss

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The nose profile of the Remington primer is a larger radius than Winchester or Cheddite. This makes for a harder stroke to fully seat other primers in Remington hulls, as the tighter radius of other manufacturers has to create its own seat in the primer pocket by moving material out of the way. I have found that it is a little harder stroke to deprime a Remington hull than a Winchester, and this, combined with the difference in the radius of the nose of the primer being seated in the next station, makes for a much harder stroke required to fully seat a non-Remington primer in a Remington hull. On occasion, the combination results in a popping noise as one deprimews and the other seats. The hull not dropping seems to be one of those things that doesn't have any reasonable explanation. On my 9000 it happens occasionally with once fired or many times fired hulls. It won't happen for a long time, then suddenly every shell hangs up just short of bottoming in the deprime collet, and needs to be pushed down. Just as suddenly, it works perfectly. I just take it as an anomaly of the press and carry on. It actually slows me down a little, and gives me a second to look at the whole operation to make sure everything is going as it should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 deprimer

mec reloaded popping noise