1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POORLY RUN GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by running bear, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. running bear

running bear Member

What did you do to help out??

Buck

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

In an effort to get the shoot rolling Thursday AM , I think the tournament director did the right thing.
    Running a shoot of this size is not easy.
    With the weather that was forecast.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Seitz.......What state did you travel from?

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Did you come up with all those "reasons" on your own?

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Who says the Martins are mad?

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I thought it was like most prior Grands, pretty well run. Hardly any empty/short squads with minimal down-time between events. Anyone who shot the C of C and missed their handicap squad has no one to blame but themselves, it's everyone's responsibility to make sure they don't squad late/early in consecutive events. It's SOP to start the second event (if it's a single targte event following a single target event) once the second trap is clear.

I heard there were squadding problems, but the couple of times I went to the squadding desk (had to resquad due to some yardage changes during the Grand) everyone was very helpful and did their best to accomodate my needs. It wasn't ideal but then again I don't expect that I can walk in on Sunday prior to Grand week and get the squad and bank that I want.

If handing out the wrong hat qualifies as making something poorly run, then you should probably consider staying home (if in fact you actually were there). Any shoot of this size is going to have bumps, but as for how it was run, I think it was pretty good.

Scott

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Just WHY does he HAVE to help out?"

Well if you are going to Bi*ch about what was being done then you should be willing to help and make it better. That is my opinion.

Bob Lawless

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

spot on, bob.

people should vote for much the same reason....you don't vote, you can't bitch

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How many are we up to now? 6?

Reminds me of the Occupy Wall Street bunch. Yelling and screaming about being the underpriviledged 99% and there's only about 12 of them standing there.

10. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my ten days at the Grand as much as ever. It was a small city and at times can get hectic. With the storm and all Kudos to the ATA and IDNR.

blade819

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I was there. If there's ever an accidental death at a major trap shoot, it will likely involve one of the speeding dune buggies!! I did my part and told the guys to slow the damned thing down before some kid walked out in from between the cars! If you weren't there, you have no idea how fast some of these buggies were travelling, all over the grounds!! Like most all things, most people drove them responsibly, it's the speeders that will create havoc one day. It's more a question of when, not if.

Hap

12. JGS

JGS Member

I shot 6 days at this year's Grand. The classification was quick, and the man who classified me knew what he was doing and was very helpful. I thanked him for his service. As I stood in line to get my squad, I watched the ladies doing the squading, and they had the patience of saints as everyone asked for their favorite banks and shooting positions. I can't imagine how trying that job must be as they try to please everyone. By the way, the building was air-conditioned and had plenty of room for the lines with no crowding. Paying for my entries was very quick, and again, the ladies who took my money knew what they were doing, and as I watched, they were very very helpful to those who were new to the computer system used to enter their choice of options. As far as I am concerned, they whole process of getting classified, squaded and entered couldn't have been handled any better.

The guys in the shell house knew their stuff, and when I asked for my favorite shells, they knew exactly what I wanted. I bought shells at the WalMart in Sparta at the U S Open because they weren't available at the shoot. I had to show my driver's license to buy the shells, and they had to tear open the flats I bought so they could scan the boxes inside. I don't know if they were doing that at the Grand, but it was a pain in the tail at the U S Open. I failed to mention that the guys in the shell house carried the shells to my car for me. ( I didn't have the nerve to ask the lady who asked for my driver's license at WalMart to carry my shells to my car. )

I've shot all the Grands at Sparta, and this one seemed to me to be the best yet. Of course, the moderate weather helped this year. My score keepers somehow stayed alert throughout the day, and keeping in mind the changing winds we had, the targets were about as good as could be expected. A couple of my squads asked for the targets to be adjusted, and their requests were promptly and cheerfully taken care of.

My scores at this year's Grand were not my best, but as I drove home, I felt lucky at age 73 to have been able to again shoot a Grand American, and I felt indebted to those who spent untold hours making the event possible. Oh, by the way, I live in Ohio, and I grew up in a town less than an hour from Vandalia and I shot my first Grand in 1956. This year I drove by the old home grounds in Vandalia on my way to Sparta, and like most journeys to venues from our past, things aren't quite as we remember them, and Vandalia seemed much smaller than I remember it, but that doesn't detract from the wonderful memories of the good times I had there. I guess I can say I feel fortunate to have been able to shoot our wonderful sport for more than 61 years. I loved shooting at Vandalia, and I for one am grateful that we still have a Grand American that we can attend if we so please.

For those people who seem to look for any opportunity to find fault with the facility at Sparta, I guess the fact that the most they can come up with this year is that the weeds weren't trimed to their satisfaction is a testament to the quality of this year's Grand.

J.G.Sayle

13. zinger

zinger Member

Why is it anytime someone voices their opinion the next post is always "what did you do to help?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Hampton gets paid very well to do his job? We are the customers and pay dearly to attend the world championships. Why can we not expect what we've been accustomed to at prior Grands? flame away...

14. shootnair

shootnair Member

Keep up the negative posts. That always helps out with future attendance.
    Personally had a great time. Never ran over anyone or even came close with my cart. Although, I did have a few people walk out and back out in front of me not paying attention. Just smiled and waived at them. Broke most of the birds thrown for me. My scores brought me home a trophy and paid for my trip. What a freedom/privilege to have a nice place to shoot. Friendly staff. Heck, I didn't even notice the weeds.

15. Donm

Donm Active Member

The trophies were moved out in order to make room for the Hall of Fame dinner. In stead of having it somewhere else they made use of the room they have in the event center. I thought that was a good idea. I thought the timing of calling the people off the line on Thurs. before the storm was spot on. The condition the grounds were in and the readiness to start the shoot on time the next day were unbelievable. I really though that with the damage the shoot would start late. I am not a big fan of Mike's but with my limited vision of how the shoot should run, I think he did a good job.

16. zinger

zinger Member

I had fun!

17. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

We shot the whole grand and really did not see any major problems. Some of the carts on the sidewalks were rude but really not that bad just a couple.All and all it went off pretty smooth for the number of shooters.Next year along with the 200 bird max in the shoot off I would like to see it stopped at say 11:30 pm we do have to shoot in the morning also.

Mark

18. tammike

tammike Member

I know it is a very small percentage but, probably the most noticed are the trapshooters that bitch all the time. Coffee to hot, donuts to sweet, to much wind, not enough spin on the targets, targets to high, targets to low and so on and on. You will nearly always find theese guys holed up with their croonies looking to share their miserable existance with someone else. Got that off my chest so, to everybody else that tries to make the best out of whatever their dealt, God bless you ! Thanks for jumping in and helping whenever you can to make "the shoots" most enjoyable for everyone. Running a club or an ATA shoot is a thankless job.

19. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

I must compliment everyone that worked at the Grand this Year. If you had the opportunity to see the destruction on Thursday night and seen the effort in getting ready to shoot at 8 AM to finish the Doubles event on Friday morning you would also applaud their efforts. Thank all that helped. Don Kerce

20. dukcall

dukcall Member

I shot Grand week,had a great time,as large as this shoot is you will never please everyone.To listen to all the whinning is awful,we are trapshooters,we love our sport,cant we try harder to all get along,like me trapshooting will not live forever.Dave Roby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.