1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor quality shell

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I opened a new box of Winchester Steel the other day & found 2 shells, that looked like my first attempt at reloading 40 years ago. Is there any reason to send them back to Winchester? What will they do about it? Thanks

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had a string of bad gun clubs, bought 5 flats every flat had some issues. Bent shells, primer caps missing exsposing the anvil< i believe thats the name. I did same as above saved the flat tags took pictures and sent email. Allthough it took some time they finally sent me a 25.00 GC. Was asked not to send shells in mail.

3. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I need to get into the habit of inpecting my factory loads before I head out to the club to shoot. Last week I shot 4 practice rounds using the Winchester Game Loads. These shells stink like crazy, and are noticably dirtier than the rest of the shells I use. I noticed that many of the metal hull bases on these shells were broken, so I was reluctant to use these, but they all fired & extracted anyway. I won't be buying these winchester gameloads anymore, and like I said earlier, I need to start inspecting my loads before I shoot - JoeBerg

4. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

These are some of the reasons why I ONLY use AA's & STS's. I used to use the "cheapos" from WalMart, but they are just junk.

5. bobalouie

bobalouie TS Member

I recently had a flat of Win AA's that each box had one or two shells that were curved like a melted candle. I called Winchester and they told me to box them up and they had UPS pick them up. About 2 weeks later I received $15 worth of ammunition vouchers. So, I'd say you have little to lose if you go to the trouble of calling them and returning the defective shells per Winchester's directions.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

1Ljutic1 is right. You should all being buying AAs and STSs. It is the profit margin on these that underwrite the "cheapos" that I shoot.

7. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

I've shot at least 500 boxes of cheap shells from WalMart, mostly Remington, and not had the first defective shell yet.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have made so many defective shots that a defective shell does not bother me much.

Pat Ireland

9. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

Pat- You make my heart sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Once again Pat is right on. I too have had problems with premium and economy loads. Buy what you want to. Break-em all. JEff

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

In 1997 gave the Winchester Rep at the "Grand" a bunch of ratty looking factory shells. A few were split in the box (before firing). Still waiting for a reply. Larry Evans

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Seem's like most of them look OK, but they load a miss into one every once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.