1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor mans bore gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Was looking at 870s and a seller stated a dime would stop a full inch from the end of the bbl. He rated the bbl as xxFull, so I tried it on mine. Mine is the same, but another Full rated bbl I have is not so Full. The dime stopped about a half inch from the end. I would rate his as xFull not xxFull. Sure smokes 'em.

Learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It's about as accurate as the dime. You have to know what the bore diameter is before you can determine anything else. The dime trick went away a long time ago as back-bored have made this old trick as useless as the dime itself!

ss

3. joe kuhn

Guys,

Granted. But I'm talking 870 stock bbls here. A dime is in my tool box now, although I ain't claimin' to be poor. It's all relative you know, wealth and constriction. Appreciate the comments.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

How's it gonna work in a TC with a factory .745 backbore? Think about it Joe. The dime is much more useful as a screwdriver than it ever will a bore guage.

ss

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Before we all started shooting these bored out to 10 gauges disguised as twelve's; a dime would not go into the end of a full barrel. Now with our bored out barrels (10 ga is .775, 9 ga is .803, 12 was .0729) it's a wonder that a quarter won't fall through. They are all still measuring full constrictions though, equal to full. If you want to limit scores and control costs; a rule to prevent anything larger than .729 would be nice, but will never pass. Where do we stop 1.00 inch bores and still call it a 12 ga? AJ

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I have an 870 barrel that a dime will fall all the way through and it has over .040 constriction not all of them are the same.

Rick

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You have to do the newer guns with a $1 gold piece!

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Had an 870 Comp. that you could (almost) toss a dime through it from across the room, checked 39 thou. with a bore gauge, it would smoke targets with the best of them looked really good on paper also. Never should have sold it. Live & learn--Ross Puls

9. joe kuhn

Ok, make a recommendation on a reasonably priced bore guage.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

You are kidding, right Joe? Gauge by Gary

11. joe kuhn

Yeah, I'm going to stick with my dime for now. I'm dealing with 870 Wingmaster barrels from the 1970s, so I don't need more than that. Other folks are speaking from their own context; which is great. Don't know when backboring came into vogue, but the guns I'm looking at for another scoped Kuhner don't even have ribs. Hah! The old and the new.

And if a guy at the club has one, why would anybody run out and get one? My FFL has one too. "Got cha covered coming and going."

12. joe kuhn

...been using my finger and knew that one full rated bbl is not the same as the next. This proves it because I used the same dime in both barrels of the same vintage and I could measure the distance of the dime from the end. So why wouldn't they put 'XFULL' on the barrel of the one and 'FULL' on the other? Don't care as long as I know what I've got. Certainly need to know the constriction now.

Can someone make a recommendation for a reasonably priced real bore gauge?

Joe

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think Gary Bulley's(THE UNLOADER) bore gauges are about as reasonable as they come. He is a heck of a nice guy too. Link above, pic of his gauges below.
    [​IMG]

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure you can't tell the dia. of the choke with a dime. If the choke is the same constriction but the bore is larger or smaller by a few thousands. The dime will fit the end of the barrel differently.

The Bore of the barrel is between the choke and the chamber. It isn't in the end of the barrel

"The dime stopped about a half inch from the end. I would rate his as xFull not xxFull."

That statement has nothing to do with the bore dia.

Bob Lawless

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Using a dime is no more archaic than using the terms full and xfull and just as useful.

16. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"You have to do the newer guns with a $1 gold piece!"

You mean a $100 gold piece?

Pretty sure a $1 gold piece would fall through a BB gun.

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

12 gauge barrel bores will not get any larger. The plastic wad bases have trouble sealing up in the Baker Big bores (.800) unless shooting heavy payloads and 3 dram powder charges. Sometimes even a Moneymaker barrel at.780 doesn't seal properly with light loads and cool weather. Poor sealing hurts pattern/performance.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Twinbirds,

Could be why guns with those barrels recoil less. Poor seal = lower velocity = less recoil.

Don Verna

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

absolutely,

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Push a car a few feet with your hands, now have someone apply the brakes lightly while you are pushing it. Did you feel extra force against your hands?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

guy bulley bore gauge