1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor lead shot vs patterns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

Does poor lead, HOME MADE shot, create poor patterns at 27 yds?? If taking your bird at 55 to 60 yds are we getting too many fly aways to really affect your score?? Thanks COFFEE

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My home made shot was irregular. Some batches were more uniform than others. The pattern testing of my shot convinced me that it was good for singles and doubles, but it did not meet my requirements for long range handicap shooting. Others certainly make better quality shot than I did. I quit making shot about 4 years ago.

I even asked a well respected shooter (J. Hiter from Georgia) to test my shot. I gave him 25 pounds and anticipated some meaningful data. The only thing I got back from John was that the shot was good. He killed a Crow with it at 50 yards.

Pat Ireland

3. coffee

coffee Member

Thanks Pat but would you care to elaborate on why your shot did not meet your requirements for handicap. Once again could your scores fall off drasticly with poor HOME MADE shot. Thanks COFFEE

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The patterns I shot at 35 yards did have some irregularities and several holes. My practice scores from the 27 did suffer with my home made shot but this is likely due to the fact that I did not have confidence in the shot from the 27. It might not have been the shot that caused my scores to go down but simply my low confidence level of the shot. I did not shoot any of the shot in registered events.

I suspect that if I could have shot a mixture of my home made shot and new AA super handicap shells and not be aware of what I was shooting, I could not tell any difference. But, when I knew I was shooting a type of shot I thought was not quite as good, it affected my scores.

Pat Ireland

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Over the weekend a friend and his "Road Buddy" have been playing around with a home made shot maker they cobbled togather in a work shop.
    They turned out some nice looking #8~#8.5 shot.
    This shot is made from wheel whights, and is harder then the "Factory" stuff from Remington w/6% antamony.
    I thing it will work well for 16's & Doubles.
    I would not use it for Handicap at 27 yrds.
    I plan to shoot is today at 16 yrd practice.

6. coffee

coffee Member

BUSTER 25..Why not use the home made shot from the 27 yard. And do wheel weights really have more antamony?? Thanks....COFFEE

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I bought 500 lbs of reclaimed shot recently; there isn't a round pellet in the load as all have pits of some sort. That shot patterns more uniformly than the Lawrence magnum I tested it against at 40 yards. My opinion is that the pits break up the surface air flow like the dimples on a golf ball do and increase aero stability.

Hevi-shot also patterns well even though the pellets are irregular (most are somewhat oblong) because it flies with its center of mass forward. Round shot has its mass center in the middle so it unstable.

Morgan

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Most of the shot in a shell is not round once the shell is fired.

Jim

9. coffee

coffee Member

Eddiefromoverlook...........Thanks but patterning your gun at 27yds. still is not telling me how the BIRD breaks at 50 to 60yds plus. And is it really possible you take a considerable loss on any 25 Birds from that distance?? Would like to hear more input. Any TECHS out there?? Thanks...COFFEE

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's a pattern from my 1100 with the hastings trap barrel and the full choke. Shot at a measured 39 yds with 1 1/8 of my home made shot. I know 1 pattern doesn't mean much, But it's the only one I have a photo of. Jim

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

coffee, I did all my shot testing in the Winter to magnify differences. At 20 degrees F, there is a BIG difference. Generally speaking, harder shot is better than softer shot because the pellets are deformed less by firing. Bigger, rounder, slower pallets pattern tightest. Faster, smaller, misshapen pellets pattern the worst. Harder is not always better, because really hard shot is not always round. Shot that starts out round and stays round is the best performer. The same applies in Summer, bt the differences are diminished.

So if you really want to take your birds at 55-60 yards you want to use ROUND 7 1/2 shot launched at 1220fps.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've tested homemade shot against Rem magnum shot. I used 1 oz of 7 1/2's, 325 pellets each shell. Ten shells of each. 40 yds .040 choke. I used that so I wouldn't have to count as much. I counted the pellets in each shell and counted the holes in a 30 inch circle. From a bench rest. The results were - homemade shot 75%, Rem shot 77 1/2%. I haven't analyzed the pattern difference, just the PE. I should do that as I still have the pattern sheets. Just looking at them I can't see any difference. An ounce of 7 1/2's at 40 yds doesn't look very good period. I tried to pick out the worst looking homemade shot I have, which isn't really bad, just to see what kind of difference I could get. It is made from wheel weights. From that limited test I think the idea that shot must be perfectly round is exaggerated. If one looks at even the best shot under a microscope the pellets have nicks, dings and flat spots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.