1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pool table experts??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I admit, I don't know much about pool tables, but I'm interested in getting one. I would want a 7 footer. Anything to look for in particular and what brands are good or bad or things to stay away from?

Jb

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

As Sgt. Shultz used to say: "I know nothing". But, a nice courtesy bump to the top might help. I have a friend who has some expertise in this. I'll try to get ahold of him and get back to you.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Have it set up and leveled by someone that knows what their doing. Buy used. Many people buy them and never use them. They sell at 1/3 to 1/2 the original price. Slate table is best, one inch or thicker.

4. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

1" slate surface, stay away from wood period. Make sure there are no cracks anywhere. Leather pockets and no ball return.

Olhausen (sp) makes a very good modern table, but I've always had a fondness for the classy old ornate Brunswick's.

Good buys can be found on used tables if you look and are patient. Get a pro to set it up and level it for you, that part can be frustrating, and they can advise you on felt types depending on how fast you want it to be, and how "lively" the rails are.

Good luck.

Dave

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have a connley and Brunswick. Both are good but I greatly favor the connley. Many major championships are played on connley.

6. letts

letts TS Member

I have a "Valley" table that I purchased from a friend who owned a bar and would replace his tables every three to five years. I paid $300.00 at the time for it complete with the balls. This table has served our family well over the past 38 years and is a table I would recommend. At Christmas time this past December I replaced the rails and installed new cloth as well as re leveled it with my daughter and her new husbands help. The table is just like new to play now and I have enjoyed playing on the like new table. Even though this table is more than 40 years old I was able to find everything I could possibly use to repair or upgrade it, including a new money slot so I could raise the price per game if I needed to. The point I am trying to make is consider a used commercial table as you will get a lot of quality for maybe a lot less money. One other thing is pool sticks are 57" long, so check your room. A 7'X3'6" table needs 17'X13'6" at a minimum of clear space to play.

Letts

7. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

valley, connley steepleton is the 3 i would stick to like they said at least 1in slate leather pockets regulation size balls and get you a shooting cradle to rest your stick on for the shots instead of getting on the table this will unlevel the table quick, and no beverages on the table you can not clean it from a good cloth,with the better table you can get the recovered jerry

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Tron, The best table to buy is by A.E. Schmidt, made in St. Louis. But they may be out of you budget. I've played on several different tables when I was younger, and ended up buying an Olhausen 9 ft., 11 years ago, and never regreted it. I did end up putting a few upgrades like their pro-action cloth, and also with lively rails. I had a dealer that was close, and he ended up setting it up.

David McMillen

9. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

I own a SAnta Maria made by Olhausen it's beautiful but it will cost you some 4000.00 or so ,if you can afford the best then buy the best.

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had the Valley but I made it free play. I practiced on what I would mostly would be playing on. Some tables have a larger cue ball and a spring directs it to the return track. The first table I got was a Fisher, which cost less, and it had the larger cue ball. I did not keep it long. A Valley has a magnet and the cue ball is attracted to it for the return. I like the balls to be the same size. When leveling the table also make sure the corners are square.

I do not enjoy playing on a table with pockets unless at a hall where they rack the balls for you.

Now snooker is another story. I started out on a snooker table and maybe enjoyed it more. Just more places to hustle on a pool table. Ray

11. Robb

Robb Member

I have a Kasson that plays very well.

12. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Go to Costco.com this is where I got Mine. You order it on line and it is delivered and set up by your local Brunswick dealer, for a lot less money than it you bought it from the same dealer Costco price delivered and set up around $2000.00 same table at the same dealer that set it up #3500.00

13. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Here is Mine

[​IMG]

click the above link

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Watch and research the pool sports and see what they use. Second watch Craigslist for used tables. I have seen alot of them on C.L. As one said above they are far less in cost then a new one. DO HAVE THE PRO'S SET IT UP. You will not be sorry. Also have them look it over to say if its a good table (Condition) before you buy it. Some like a car. Let us know what you get.

15. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

LETTS, excellent post about the space needed!!!!

16. letts

letts TS Member

Thanks for the compliment noknock1. I disabled the coin collector many years ago and play has always been free. The magnetic que ball is a good thing, if you wish to shoot a good game it can't be done with a large que ball. All balls need to be the same size and weight. discount store accessories and sticks will not do the job either.

Letts

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Olhausen tables have very "picky" pockets and reject more than others. I didn't know this when I got my table and would have gotten another brand. It's REALLY frustrating sometimes especially when I play on another table and everything sinks that never goes in on my table.

18. len loma

len loma TS Member

Billards is a passion of mine although I don't shoot much anymore. Great deals out there on like new used tables. I recommend spending your money on a table with 1" slate. Make sure cushions are alive and there is good quality felt for balls to roll on. Buy quality balls too. I perfer a 8ftor 9ft table to become more disciplined on your long shots. Like trap shooting much has to do with proper mechanics. Better equipment does improve your game in this sport so get a quality stick. Shoot well,Len

19. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

VPR 80, those tight pockets will make you a better shooter. So will fast felt. I had a table with tight pockets and I know it helped move me from a 6 to a 7 player when I shot league.

Dave

20. Skeeterg

Skeeterg TS Member

Pool tables need to be set up correctly or your experience will be less than what you want get yourself a name brand 1 in slate table with no crack in the slated have a pro set it up and change the felt and bumbers if needed the pro will advise and this table will last for as long as you take care of it stay away from wood or composit surfaces they tend to move with the humitity thats the real secret to pool tables just like shooting a good one will play as good as you good luck George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.