1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pool table advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dodgeram, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

I just finished my basement(five year project) and looking to purchase a new or used 8ft pool table. I would like to spend about $1500 to $2500. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations buying one of these?

Thanks in advance for your input. Doug

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check E-Bay you can find a lot of bargains on old Brunswicks. Bulge.

3. Robb

Robb Member

I have Kasson that was 2500 and is a nice table in that price range.

4. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

I looked at Olhausen tables, are they any good? Also is it very hard to assemable a 3 piece slate table your self? I could save 300 to 400 if I do it myself.

Doug

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

Olhausen... and don't look back

6. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Olhausen with accu fast rails. Anyone can assemble a table, the question is "how good do you want the table to play?" It's like going to a garage sale at Richard Childress's garage, sure you can buy all the parts for a NASCAR car, but when the body is skinned to the frame, just how good do you think that car is going to go down the track? 300 spent on someone that has set up 100's of tables is going to be the best money you spend on it. l.g.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Iwouldn't attempt the set up without some help from someone who has done it before. assumig that the table will have to be disassembled to get it in basement and reassembled, the top will have to be recovered. would suggest gettint in touch with a co in your area that services pool tables for bars etc, as they usually have someone on their staff that is capable or setting up and recovering the table, or at least can refer you to someone in your area that is capable. a good table isreally heavy and it would probably be easiest to have someone move it for you, ie the same person who set up and recover the top. have lots of fun

bob

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A must to find professional pool assembly. I had a 3 piece top, just could never get it right.

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Keep in mind the best table in the world won't play well without quality felt. If you're going to spend that much money on a table, don't scrimp on the surface you'll be playing on. Spend a bit extra on Simonis cloth and I promise you it will last longer than the nappy felts available, and you'll be playing on the same surface the pros play on. Good Simonis cloth allows you to get a lot more action on the cue ball, and is a fast surface, which is nice when you want to slow roll a shot on a level, high quality table. Play a few months on Simonis cloth and your game will get better as well (assuming you practice!) Pool is just like trap or skeet... focus on the target, head still, stay in the shot, and follow through. Very similar concentration as well. One shot at a time. Good Luck.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get a pro to assemble your table. It's worth the lack of frustration on your part. And it will be right.

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Take a good look at Connelly tables. I really like one I have, although it might be a tad higher than you stated for the project. I have a nice Brunswick as well, which is a good table, but nothing like a Connelly with rapid rails, great felt and extremely sturdy construction.

Professional installation is just a given, so plan on it if you want it to play well.

12. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

For the extra money sounds like a professional install is the way to go. Just need to find a quality table that will fit my budget. Did anyone have a poor experiance with a pool table in 2K range that I would want to steer clear of?

13. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

Dubuque, Iowa

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have had an Olhausen Table for 20 years. Pockets, turned legs... great quality tables - had to recover it once due to a Champagne spill on the felt.

Recovering, assembly, repairs is an art and leveling, while not scientific is a skill. A good table is an investment. Also buy the best table and longest table you can squeeze into the space.

There are plenty of tables out there and many are lightly used. BTW, find yourself a special cue - I'm partial to vintage Sampaio cues and own a handful - hand carved butts, no wraps with ivory or MOP inlay.

Jay

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

1883 Brunswick, first $25,000 takes - FOB my game room.

16. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Get one with hanging pockets, not the cheap ones with rails that roll the balls down to one end. The noise will drive you nuts.

17. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

Bid heap, Nice looking table but dont have 25K to spend.

I just went out and purchased a Olhausen(Blackhawk) from the local dealer. I upgraded the felt and it will be profesionally installed next Friday. Oh it does have the accru fast rails and Italian slate. They tell me Olhausen is American made and only the slate comes from over seas. Hard to find anything made in America these days. Thanks for the great responses and opinoins that helped me make my decision.

Do you think if I play a lot of pool this winter it will help my shooting next spring?? I can only hope..

Thanks again,

Doug

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I would ask Nubs , aka, as the cueguy. He made cues for many years and is very knowledgable regarding this game. Lives in KY.

Charlie

19. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Yes, I do have some experience in this area. I sold, set up and moved tables for about 30 years. Back finally gave up. Please email for some specific advice if you want. What you buy depends on your usage. Is this for some serious practice or will it wind up as a clothes folding table? Or something in between? I know most of the table manufacturers in the US and they all make some very nice tables. But, the finest table you will ever play on is a Lehmacher. I used to import them ( Germany ). A tough sell because of the price. Anyway, email and I can give you some pointers from the industry side of the table, so to speak. Nubs Wagner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how good are accu fast rails

lehmacher pool tables for sale