1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsnses-Warren Repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by larryx, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryx

larryx Member

Dose anyone in the Pittsburgh area repair PWs. Just bought Platinum 2000 from a guy who was selling if for a widow of an old trap shooter. It’s an older model with the short shell holders. The seller knew nothing about it and I don’t either. I have a Mec and have always wanted to try a PW. The problems are: Not setting the primers flush and it stiff going at the top. I read the book and tried to set the primer height but even when the primer ram is all the way up still not flush. The ram was so high I had concerns about detonation. Tried Winchester and CCI primers. So I think a professional should look at it. I really don’t want to box it and send it out. Or it’s for sale locally.
    Larry

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The most important question is what kind of empties are you trying to seat those primers in!!

3. larryx

larryx Member

Winchester AA HS

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

If you don't have a ops manual, you might ask PW to send you one.

5. larryx

larryx Member

Have the manual and it's easy to adjust the primer ram but as a novice at this machine I don’t want to do anything than I can’t undo.

6. obsparky

obsparky Member

Jim "whiz" White can and will hep you with any questions. SW Supply.
    Great guy.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have found with most mechanical trap shooting related stuff, that local repair access is limited. I am self taught on MEC and PW reloaders, PAT traps,and Canterberry releases, as well as a little gunsmithing. If you are mechanically inclined, it's kind of a fun challenge. If not, it can just be frustating. Bottom line on most stuff, you have to box it up, and send it somewhere. Mark

8. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I second the Jim "Whiz" White suggestion.
    Before calling Jim, I would recommend you go to his website swsupplty.com and read this articles on adjusting PW loaders. I think he has an article that addresses your problems with the loader.

John

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like the post under the 1st stage (resizer) is set a bit too high!

Back out the locking screw, and pop it out. On the bottom is a screw to adjust the length ... give it a couple of tuns in and try seating a primer.

10. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

Are your hulls set flush with the sizers? (Before and after the primer station)

11. dls guide

dls guide Member

You have your primer seater set too high. It is probably caving your hull rims in. Then the rims get flattened out through the other stages and the primer gets pushed back out. Try lowering your primer seater and checking the hull rims immediately after indexing from primer stage and checking if hull rims are flat. I have gone through this before on an 800 plus. It would really help to have someone experienced with a PW loader set it up for you. Daryl.

12. larryx

larryx Member

Ahab . Took out the 1st stage and the lock nut had works loose did that adjustment but still having primer problem.

Dis guide. Started with the primer seater down all the way and kept working it up, hulls not caved in. BUT there is a “Loud Tick” when the primer starts in. No tick when you run it empty.

Just for the hell of it I pulled out the complete primer seater and the 1st stage hull carrier post, still hard at the top. Maybe a Bushing?

Mark. Looks like I half to box it up and sent it to Wiz. I’ll call him first may he can diagnose the problem.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

First: Be sure the shell is being inserted ALL THE WAY in the shell holder on station one. Not just flush with the bpttom of the shell holder but inserted as far as it will go. This step is critical to properly seating primers at station two.

Second: Adjust the primer seater to seat the primer flush. On the Platinum 2000 you loosen the allen screw and turn the external adjustment knurled ring to set the primer depth. Be sure to re-tighten the set screw after you adjust the knurled ring.

This is how you properly set the primer depth. The shell must be FULLY inserted into the shell holder. The shell may move down to the bottom of the shell holder when it is crimped. That is just the way the P/W works.

Try loosening the front two thumbscrews on the powder/shot base to see if you have a powder seal problem causing it to be "stiff going at the top".

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Seat the shell (and hopefully it is not a steel based hull, as these are unpleasant to reload in the best of cases) LEVEL with the base of the die, or shell holder in your case. I disagree on shoving the hull up into the die as far as you can.

If you attempt to shove the case all the way in, and because you probably have the Grivory (plastic) turret with some "give," the Shell Seating Post's top surface may stay in contact with the base of the hull too long, and cause the machine to drag as is starts to rotate clock-wise. Furthermore, it you seat the hull up too much, the shell holder will "clip" the seating post as it attempts to rotate.

Secondly, there is some information not widely known about the primer seating post's adjustment and I will show that in a minute with a drawing below. In that regard, the brass seating assembly's primer seating post could be too low in that assembly, and as you normally attempt to adjust the entire assembly UP, the brass may be trying to stick up too high, and you may never achieve correct primer insertion. The remedy is pretty simple in looking at my drawing. There is a "hidden" internal Allenhead set-screw lying vertically INSIDE the lower vertical post (with the dove-tail). That set-screw can be adjusted with a 3/32" Allen wrench...BUT GO IN BABY STEPS.

The newest design of the Primer Seating Post can be seen on my website. Its head is not as thick - over-all lengths are the same. Some of the first models of both the 800 Plus and Platinum machines used the 12L14 steel thicker heads. Today the head is half as thick, but still made of the 12L14, soft steel. That's why I have a machine shop of a good friend of mine make both the seating post and ram out of a harder, better steel.

whizwhite_2008_0203293.jpg

Good luck and feel free to call or email me, should you need further assistance.

Jim White

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The problem with seating the hull flush with the shell holder is some hulls that require more primer seating force will move in the shell holder and the primer will not seat flush.

I agree with Whiz that the Grivory turret is not as rigid as aluminum and makes loading steel headed shells more difficult. If you insist on loading steel headed hulls get a 900 or an 800 Plus.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

17. larryx

larryx Member

Finally had some time yesterday to try Jim “Whiz” primer fix. It worked and I only moved it ONE baby step. Also went to Jim web site and read the wealth of information there. Much better than the manual.
    Jim Skeel.
    Loosening the front two thumbscrews on the powder/shot base relived some of the pressure on the up stroke. So I drained them both and found shot on the short gear and the gear had groves worn in it. Need a new gear.
    I want to thank everyone for the help it made this an easy fix.
    Larry

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

larryx, concerning the " the pressure on the up stroke", make sure the channel that the rack gear rides in is clean. And that the set screws that hold down the rack gear are adjusted properly. The rack gear should slide both directions with little effort.

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

How big was the "baby step"? 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn??

Keller

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

On cleaning the rack. I use some graphite to make it slide smoother. Put a little on the metal. Works great..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.