1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

Are there any pros or cons about a Ponsness Warren 900 loader. The 900 vrs the 800 also. Just wondering if these are really good loaders or not. I have heard they can be finikie at times, but then so can the other brands too.

Thanks
    Steve

2. BLD92

BLD92 Member

Steve. I have several PW both 900 and 800. Have used them for many thousands of reloads. Call me at 262-939-3596 and I will be happy to share my views on which model etc.. Have been very satisfied with the PW products....Barry

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I own 6 900s...4 in service and 2 in process. I prefer the 900s 'cause I understand them. The center shaft makes changing gauges a time consuming and pricey process but I don't change gauges so it don't matter. Each of my 4 active duty machines has the new grivory turret (removable dies) and the upgraded primer system. I prefer the center shaft; I think it gives the turret the best support.

The PW is a production machine. It is designed to be set up to load one formula for a looooonnnng time. If you load a number of brands of hulls/primers/shot loads/powders you are probably going to be making small adjustments to the press each time you make a switch; it may take a while to get the new settings just right unless you develop a system for recording the adjustments for each change.

As for being finicky, 4 of my 6 machines came to me very inexpensively (one was free) from guys that had botched up the adjustments so badly that the machines wouldn't even make a decent mess any more let alone a decent shell. My view is that most of the problems you read about with PW loaders are due to the operators and not to the machines.

One last thing... unless you're talking about the new PW 800+, the 800B and 800C presses are considered obsolete by the factory and new replacement parts for them are limited to remaining-stock-on-hand. I have no problem getting replacement parts for the 900s from PW.

Keller

4. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I am a new user of a 800+ and I love the machine. Mine is set up with an auto drive and it is a loading machine. I don't find the adjustments to be difficult.

5. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Some years ago my wife decided to help me by reloading while I was out of town. She jammed up the loader. She got the local gun club owner to come to the house and help. He had no idea about PW's so he called them. They told him to hang up and call back on the 800 number. They walked him through the entire process and got everything back in time it took over 1/2 hour. I have over 380K registered targets and 200K practice shells through 2 PW's. They both have had insignificant parts break over the 40 years of use. I think my wife's experience tells of their service and my history confirms the reliability.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

need any parts for your loader???? A friend passed away and I have BOXES of new and used parts for the pw loader. Let me know if you need anything??? I also have one older 800 machine for sale

7. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Motor Doctor, I could use some powder and shot bushings. pm sent

8. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

From what I am seeing here is that a 900 elite in good shape, at a good price is a good investment. The one I am looking at is set up for 12ga, but I would like to get the dies to be able to load 20ga as well. Is it hard to set up for a different gage. I know that the 800+ is made for this sort of thing but I can get this machine for a good price.

Steve

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Steve, I seem to remember that the PW factory sells/sold tooling kits that contained everything that was needed to change to another gauge already attached to a new top crosshead so that changing gauges primarily involved unbolting the top crosshead with the 12 ga. tooling and replacing it with the 20 ga. crosshead.

Call the factory at 800-732-0706 mountain time and check what they have to help you.

Keller

10. Thevalueman

Thevalueman TS Member

O.K....I have been loading on them for over 40 years...I remember watching Star Trek while loading....and we are not talking reruns...started over a couple years back, sold the old machine on eBay, and bought new....800's
    I have a .410, 20ga, and a 12ga. The first two worked perfect!! The 12ga, from the get go would jam, miss step, would not feed primers, wads would not feed, it would not do anything right....thought I was going to loose my mind. That said, I sent it back to the shop, they contacted me to send them shell samples(I use only AA hulls)...sent them the shells, 4 days later I received the loader, and it works perfectly!! that was a year ago, and have run 5k-8k through it.
    I would have one for each shell I wanted to load....and I'm not rich, just practical..
    :)Rocky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

about ponsness warren

are ponsness warren loaders good

show me your prosses warren loader