1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Ponsness Warren vs. Spoiler

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

Just want to vent. I have a Ponsness Warren 800 Plus and it appears to be wearing out. I'm spending more time adjusting, and repairing than I am loading, and it's frustrating.

Anybody having problems with their 800 Plus machine. I purchased an 800 Silver ST years ago and wore the machine out. 50% of the machine wearing out was due to my lack of maintaince. That machine loaded about 30,000 hulls.

Four years ago +/-, I purchased an 800 Plus. I keep it well oiled and greased. It has been flawless up until now. Now the primers ride up on the left brass track, the auto hull feeder doesn't feed the hulls well. The hulls seem to shoot right past the hull pocket, and I can't seem to keep o-rings under the powder/shot hopper base plate. I also had to purchased a new factory aluminum powder/shot base plate. This machine has also loaded about 30,000 rounds.

I'm starting to wonder if these machines are junk?

I don't force anything, I clean the machine regularly, lube all hindge points, and cover it after each use.

I'm thinking of switching to a Spoiler. I hate to do it but I don't have time to play with this 800 Plus, and I don't want to purchase another 800 plus.

Andy
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Spoiler??
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Give Jim "Whiz" White a call... He's rebuilding my Platinum 2000 right now.

hslds_2008_030336.jpg
  4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I have over 30k on mine, and it is showing zero wear.

What primers are you running?
  5. cunninmp

cunninmp TS Member

Have a PW 2000 and a Spolar. Unfortunately the PW sits idle most
    of the time.
    The PW has about 20,000 through it, and the Spolar is getting close
    to 25,000. Besides oiling and lubing the Spolar hasn't missed a lick.
    Have the PW setup for 7/8oz for first shot of doubles. Took me forever.
    Spolar loads 1 oz and 1 1/8oz with no problems. Both Remingtons and AA
    hulls. All I have to do is change wad guide fingers when they get worn
    out. And of course powder and shot bushings.
    Just my opinion.
    Mike C.
    Groveland, CA
  6. AEP

AEP Member

I use Cheddite primers, and have been using Cheddite for several years with no problems.

Last month I reloaded 3,200 AA & STS. The first 3,000 without a glitch. The last 200 is when the problems started.

I just can't believe this is happening. I am so disgusted I'm about ready to just buy shells. If I have to buy a reloader every few years it's not worth it.

I did talk to Jim Whiz last night and tonight. I don't want to repeat what he said.

I'll look at it again Saturday. I will have cooled-off by then.

Andy
  7. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The reason I asked about primers, mine won't feed Fed 209a without malfunctions, due to the sharp edge face of the primers. And they can flip over or sideways in the primer pusher, bending the pusher.

And, the Fed 209A won't travel the chute worth a $hit, due to the sharp edge.

There is a large learning curve with the PW.

I mostly use it for only my top trap load.
  8. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have 40,000 + through my 800+. I don't think it's even broken in yet.
  9. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

My Spolar, sn#1238 is just past 183,000 in all 4 gages total and I haven't spent $50 on parts. Sat down and punched out 1250 410s the other night and tossed 8 for bad crimps. Boxed the rest and switch over to 28s.
  10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My 800B .410 has well over 100,000 shell though it and all it needed was a few shots of lube.
    Go with a Spolar if you are having problems with the PW reloader. Sometime it takes a different brand to make you happy.
  11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    Many PW malfunctions can be traced to "adjustments" made by mechanically inept users for whom a screw driver has too many moving parts.

From my own experience I've bought 3, 900 Elites in as many years from guys who had given up on them because they were "just plain unusable" and bought MECs instead. Now they're happy and I have 3 excellent presses that needed to have only a few parts replaced that were worn due to age and a LOT of sloppy misadjustments I had to undo.

Keller
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Buy a Spolar and you won't need access to a toolbox!!
  13. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

I have had two late model PW's, 1 800+ and the new Patriot. I have two Spolars. If you wish to reload, buy the Spolar and your tool box days are behind you. Use top grade oil and grease, Spolar will run much longer than you will.
  14. BobbyNard

BobbyNard Member

Spolar all the way
  15. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Keep it in perspective, a "Spoiler" costs almost twice as much as an 800+. It's not fair to PW to make a direct comparison.
  16. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I believe the reason you do not hear about folks not getting along with their Spolar is there is just no where to go except back to a MEC. They just put them up for sale and move on.

All reloaders require some adjustment at some point. Some are easier to understand than others. Find one that you can get comfortable with. You always have the option to buy shells.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor
  17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Yeah. Sometimes I must adjust the crimp depth on my Spolar when changing shells. It requires a open end wrench and a regular screwdriver. Most households possess those tools. No need for a sledgehammer, numerous allen wrenches or mechanical aptitude!!
  18. jimsw

jimsw TS Member

I own Spolar #60 and it works great. A pleasure to use. I have it set up to load STS 1 oz loads and it just keeps going. It does prefer Winchester primers. There really isn't any discussion as far as I am concerned, the Spolar is the best loader you can buy hands down.

Believe it or not the only loader that comes close is an old PW single stage that I use for Federal papers! Slow but fool proof.
  19. crusha

crusha TS Member

People who enjoy "fixing things" will probably enjoy a Ponsness Warren.

If you have limited time, and are buying a loader to LOAD with, (not brag about how good you are at fixing things), get a Spolar or Mec.

I've had two P/W progressive machines, one from the older generation, one from the newer, and have concluded they are simply not worth the trouble, when there are other products out there that *always work*. Just because something is built "heavy," does not mean that it is built "well."
  20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

Been loading on a pacific 366 since 1986. Boughrt a new Spolar a couple years ago. Loaded with it for about two weeks and put the 366 back in place. Gave the Spolar to the kid. He loves it. I could not get use to having to push the lever all the way to the top. I'm using the same 366 I started with. Bill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.