1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness/Warren shell drop--help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have a P/W 900 elite.Works fine but the finished shell drops onto a cheap -flexible ramp that makes the shell bounce and not always where you want it to go. I have seen here that on some other reloaders a pvc tube is placed under the drop die to facilitate the shell going straight down and into the bucket below the table. How can I adhere a similar tube to this machine? Pics are always helpful. Many thanks--Dennis Mastrolia.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dennis, Here is my setup. I bought it from PW several years ago, not sure if they still make it. The bucket swings out of the way. The shells will rarely end up anywhere but the bucket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

I split about a 12" chunk of 1-1/2" pvc in half lengthwise. Then I made a block of wood with the correct angle (trial and error)and clamped it to the loading bench in front of the machine, with the PVC ramp fastened to the block. It diverts the shells into a bucket in front of the machine.

It was a jury rigged deal to test the idea. So far its been working fine- for about 3 years and 30-40 thousand shells. One of these days I may go ahead and make up the final version.

john

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is my shell catcher. It is a 45 degree 1-1/2" PVC elbow with a piece of aluminum attached to it. The shells drop into the drawer below the bench.

The "clang" when the shell hits the "cheap flexible ramp" provides important feedback to let you know that the shell has been ejected.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would buy a PVC elbow to match the diameter of your shell drop tube and attach it to the end of the drop tube pointing into the bucket. You can buy those rubber double ended flexible butt joints with a hose clamp on both ends to join the PVC elbow to your drop tube. Similar to this product below.---Matt
    [​IMG]

6. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Good ideas --thanks again--I will make up one of these--satisfaction at beating the factory.Dennis.The factory tube should point to the rear of the machine-not to the front--what were they thinking with that??? GRNTITAN__there is nothing to attach to on the bottom of the machine and when the turret is in the down position there is not much clearance.MIT-here we go!!---Jim-your idea looks wonderful--Thanks Dennis. Jim would you please post an add. pic? Thanks.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

On my P2000 the slide pointed to the rear before I installed the tube and bucket. Shells were constantly falling off the slide. It should be very easy to design a PVC drop tube in the rear

8. grntitan

Dennis---i meant to attach the PVC to the end of the tube that is currently on the machine hanging over the table. I only meant it as a more precise direct into the bucket. Just a quick thought. There are some pretty darn good designs on here especially Jim Skeel's idea. Tough to design and solve over the internet. LOL---Matt

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I raised the OEM chute up 3/4" with a block of wood and a piece of sheet metal and then cut a wedge of dense cushion foam to fit snuggly under the chute between it and the cross shaft.

The foam acts to dampen the "clang" and the wood block raises the chute high enough that the finished shells can be collected in a modified plastic tub.

MK

10. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

I cut down a beer can folded over the edges made it larger and poprivited it to the existing piece of sh

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It looks like you could attach it either for front or back drop. If you use pvc, cut some sheet metal and bend it similar to the attachment cuban cigar shows in his third picture. Put a screw-band type hose clamp around the 1 1/2" 45 or 30 degree elbow and the thin part of the sheet metal. Tighten secure. Screw the base down on the plate of the loader. Bend for adjustment. Done!

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

13. grntitan

Jim(Whiz)--Nice post. If you can't design and build your own from those plans, you are not mechanically inclined at all. I don't have a P/W so it was hard for me to help him.----Matt

14. DENNISMASTROLIA1

I can definitely use these ideas--you guys are truly great. Thanks again--Dennis.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Why didn't you ask me Dennis?? LOL, I like Jim's, but used sheetmetal raised around the hole in the bench.

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you locate the hole too far behind the loader you will not be able to use it when you add the AutoDrive!

Jim Skeel

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's some dimensions that may help in locating a hole.

[​IMG]

Prior to the PVC tube, I did have a metal "fence", hence the bolts showing.

WW

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bored a 4" hole in my loading bench behind the press, then screwed a PVC toilet flange to the underside of the bench with a 45 degree elbow and a length of 4" PVC pipe pointed at a 5 gallon plastic bucket....works like a damn!

19. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

[​IMG]

Here is what I built. I just cut a hole in the bench. I can move it to another loader.

20. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Ljutic73-Where does the other end of the PVC (closest to the machine sit)??I can visualize the part that drops into the bucket. Does the other end just come close to the reloader??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dennis ponsness

ponsness warren shell feeder used

pw hole in loading bench for shell drop