1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Ponsness Warren Question ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ed Y, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had and used my Platinum 2000 since they were first introduced. I have broken and replaced a few parts but have never had a problem with station 7, where the final crimp is completed. All of a sudden, my crimps were too shallow and I had to lower the tool by three full turns. It's OK now but I still can't figure out why this adjustment changed. By the way, I'm still using the same hulls, primers, powder, wads, and shot amt.

Ed Yanchok

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I had a problem with mine a while back.The large spring had broken but stayed together.It took a good long look to see where the coils were broke,since it has to stay in place until you take it apart to replace it.Not sure if thats your problem but it happened to me.Jim at Jims eye n ear sent me one and in a few minutes I was up and running.

3. Ed Y

I just checked, no broken springs.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The final crimp center shaft (#52) may have been loose and screwed itself up a bit, or #52b is loose or missing.

There is a 3/32" set-screw (at the base of #48), if I remember correctly, that holds the center shaft in place. Try taking a nail and inserting it in the hold in its shaft and see if it turns easily. If it does, then the set-screw is loose.

[​IMG]

Or...

It could be occurring at station 6, the pre-crimp station. Could be that the Prue-crimp set-screw is loose and permits the shaft to slide up a bit - it can't move up much, or say ΒΌ" at the MOST.

This condition could then not be giving you enough plastic in the fingers to get a good final crimp.

Whiz

5. Ed Y

Whiz.
    It was the station between the Pre crimper and the knock out station that had to be lowered. The lock nut was not loose and had to be loosened before I could lower the tool. It was almost like I was loading shorter hulls. It seems to be working fine now.

Ed Yanchok

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ed, Always make sure your nuts are tight. Why arent you at the Grand? All the best. Dave

7. Ed Y

New excuse. I couldn't go because my loader was broke and so am I. This is only the second one that I missed in the last 40 years. Even bought a new car in the hopes that the elevated gas mileage would make the trip more affordable but now my wife won't let me have it for a week. Go figure.

Ed Yanchok

8. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

You might check the left and right guide posts to be sure that they are still properly secured by the set screws in the base. Fairly frequently with vibration and age they loosen up and back out leaving the posts to flex up and down so that you sometimes get good loads and sometimes not. There are 2 screws in each of the holes in the base, the first one is supposed to lock the second one in place against the post. Sometimes it doesn't, don't just tighten the outside screw, remove it and get the one that counts.

This is often brought on by the use of oil on the posts, it runs down the post until it fills the base and penetrates the threads of the set screws so it is easier for them to back out. I always say that if you must use oil on the machine put it on a rag and use it to dust and lightly protect the metal, not for lubrication, for that use grease.

good luck.

Jim Cunningham

9. whiz white

Ed: The pre-crimper is not only held it place by the nut on the top, but also a sleeve that is threaded and held in place with an Allenhead set-screw.

Many times my customers will only check the nut and not the actual rear set-screw because the set-screw is at the rear of the toolhead.

If that is loose and the threaded sleeve was never seated up tightly, it *could* move up some and this could give results that your are experiencing.

Please let me know that you find.

Thanks.

Whiz

10. oz

oz Active Member

i seem to remember that the NEW WW shells were shorter than the OLD ones. oz

11. Ed Y

I can't see where anything was loose. I just turned the climp finishing tool down 3 full turns and it seems to be working ok now.

Ed Yanchok

12. Ed Y

Jim Cunningham was right on. My right hand post screws were loose and the post was moving. I tightened them up and then had to loosen the crimp finishing tool the 3 turns that I had tightened it. Now it's back to the perfect reloads that I'm used to. Now if I could just shoot as good as my reloads.

Thanks all for you suggestions,
    Ed Yanchok

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Wasn't going to own up to being so dumb. For the longest time I would hear a "clacking" sound and couldn't find the source. That spring #50 was in 3 or 4 pieces, didn't affect the shell quality but was a aggravating to listen to. Thanks Whiz for the quick delivery of the spring. Shoot well, Bob

14. whiz white

Most welcome, Bob!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.