1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren PROBLEMS (Help)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I recreation load about 2-3000 a year. I have a PW 800+ less than 3 years old. In the last three weeks I have broken two (what I would think) are key (should be strong)pieces of the machine. Three weeks ago the upper actuating arm broke right in haft?
    today this broke (see pic below) I'm concern and looking for input on why this is happening???
    I manual load and am very slow and take care to not hurt my loader!

Thx BILL
    billroberts_2009_260218.jpg

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Give Whiz White a call - he is the P/W man

He runs S W Supply in Rapid City, SD

Looks like the whole plate needs to be replaced...

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

call Whiz Bill, you wont be sorry. he is a wealth of info on the PW and always willing to talk

4. Bill Roberts

I talked with the PW factory. It will take a whole new plate.

What I'm looking for is why this is happening and who else is having these problems. Are these machines not being made well???

Bill

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I had the same problem happen. Same machine. There is a defect in the design and that area does break. The new part will have a steel insert in place of the casting.

Never figured out why it broke. But I jammed it up a lot when I had the shell feeder on it. Not so much now with only the electric drive. I load about 15,000/yr and mine failed after 5 years.

If you are handy, you can fix it yourself. I kept my old one and will fix it some day.

Don Verna

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is that the decapping station? Maybe the decapper is set a little low and it stresses the plate each time. With the built in leverage on these machines, you may not even notice it. Eventually it could fatigue the casting. Just guessing, Whiz will know. Good luck.

7. locdoc

locdoc Member

Both the Upper Actuating Arm and the two Lower Actuating Arms are designed as "weak links" in the event something gets hung up in the top of the machine. It's important to perform routine preventative maintinance and cleaning in and around the top end of the machine. Making sure that there is no build up of powder or shot debris around or under the gears and Gear Rack.

My guess is that a spent primer got off to the right side and was caught between that flange area and the brass part of the primer feed causing the flange to crack and finally break away. That flange is what presses down on the primer feed to allow the primer to be seated. There is still enough material there to operate the primer feed but a repair or replacement should be planned. My experience is that a repair with a steel insert machined into that area will be as costly as replacing the Cross Head. Of course that will depend on whether you hire it done or do it yourself. The repair would be stronger.

Please keep us informed of your findings.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

There is a guy over on shotgunworld that has milled in a steel plate to repair the broken cross-head, as Doug discussed. He has his own tooling though so it's a relatively easy fix for him. He posts as dano523, you might google it up - I think he has a posted a photo of the repair in the past. The crosshead is aluminum, shouldn't be too difficult to do with the right tools.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=251263&hilit=insert

I think this link will take you to the post

john

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The allen screw that hold the primer seating assembly in place may have come loose. That allows the assembly to move off center to the side and gets under the area that broke. Happened to me, only not that bad. I just glued the little piece back with JB Weld and it has held for years, can't tell by looking that it ever broke. There is no pressure against that area unless the primer assembly gets in the way. Tighten the screw and wiggle the assembly to check to see if it hits. Sounds like a common problem.

That part is expensive, no way I would buy a new one.

10. locdoc

locdoc Member

The image above should be of the fix I mentioned.

tnx to skeezix

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

11. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

I have the same machine and mine has been broke for a while still works fine for me until it breaks completly I'm not fixing it ,My shells still come out looking great

12. Bill Roberts

Thx guys.
    Your posts were appreciated.

Bill

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Exactly three years ago, I had the same thing happen to my new 800B. Got a Spolar and never looked back. P/W quality control needs improvement. Fred

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I've posted several threads explaining how to set the primer feed track so that it won't put torque on the primer feed station. Torque causes it to stick in the down position, thus exposing the primer seating ram to be exposed and in the way of the passing shell holder, causing the crash/shudder/breakage.

The primer ram is made of mild steel for a reason; it bends, and making things stronger simply insures more damage upstream, hence the broken arms, or worse, as in poor Bill's case. Twist/bend/adjust the primer feed track so that it "falls" into the slot on the primer seating station so that you can push the primer feed station smoothly up & down without it sticking, and the problem will go away.

There's bigger issues than this, though, and unless I can get the shot drop problem solved, there will be a Spolar on my bench in the near future. I am wondering if the tool shelf with the improved shot and powder drop stations from the Patriot can be put on an 800+

best,,,mike

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mike, What problem are you having with the shot drop?

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

16. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

It's a PW!!!

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

This is the problem, Jim:

493.9 1.128oz

485.9 1.110oz

479.4 1.096oz

481.1 1.099oz

485.8 1.109oz

479.3 1.095oz

483.8 1.105oz

476.8 1.089oz

496.4 1.357oz

484.1 1.106oz

473.5 1.082oz

479.0 1.095oz

481.5 1.100oz

482.8 1.103oz

475.8 1.108oz

483.7 1.105oz

The difference between the lowest to the highest was 22.9gr, that's 19 #7 1/2 pellets

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

90% of all PW issues are because the operator does not know how to adjust the primer feed & the other 10% are other operator errors. I had mine 10 years and never understood what was going on when I had a problem and then I spoke to Whiz for 30 minutes one day and bingo. It works like a charm when you know how to set it and use it. been going smoothly now 3 years P2000

19. citadel

citadel Active Member

This. Is a defect in the design that has happened to many owners. Unless you are a machienst you will need to buy an entire new base plate that will include the steel insert shown on the above response. PW does not warranty this problem as they claim it is operator error caused by a jammed primer. They are correct about what causes the problem, the jammed primer but If their primer removal system were better designed this would never happen. Be prepared to spendv$130 for the new part. This will give you the chance to give the machine a good cleaning as you will have to tear it all apart to replace the base plate.

If you need help send me an email at doug@citadel-usa.com or PM. I have had to replace two of these and in doing so have got it figured out it seems.
    Doug

20. Bill Roberts

Thx Doug and others>>>

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
800 b wont drop shot
how to fix misloads on a ponsness warren
how to fix the ponsness-warren auto shell feeder
ponsness warren problems