1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

I have been reloading Winchester AA for some time now without any problems what so ever. I decided to try some Remington shells. I seam to be having all kinds of problems with the shell not colsing at the top. So when the shell drops out of the last stage pellets go all over. Just wondering if I need to adjust something on the machine or not. Just a quick note I am using the exact same components as the AA's which I have been told work just fine. 1 1/16 oz shot...L bushing for powder 18.4 gn of red dot claybuster AA wads
    Any ideas???
    Steve

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Is the reason for the shell not closing too much ingredients in the hull?

Or is there a large hole in the center of the crimp? Is the crimp dished in?

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I would just add that if your AA hull is the CF (old) hull for me it was an adjustment going to the Rem hulls. I was able to maintain same settings with the AAHS and Rem hulls, but had problems with the Old AA's.

4. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

The hole in the center of the crimp is somewhat open. Large enough for the shot to pore out. This is not happening with all of the remington shell but at least half of them. The hole is not just the size of one shot in the center it is at least 9/32 or so. And one of the shell's at the last stage mushromed over at the very top so it could not push out

5. likes-to-shoot

How high is the ingredients in the hull?

6. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

I think they are where they should be by eye. The first stage of the crimp (station 6) seams to fold over the shot good. The final stage I have not payed enough attention to it to see if that is the problem. I was just experimenting last night and wanted to see if they loaded the same. I gave up because of the problems.

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My 800B will load AA, STS and Gold Medal hulls without any adjustments.

I always use the wads that are specified for the hull. Same powder drop for all.

This is on a 35 year old machine. STS hulls come out like new.

Check you componets again.

Check your machine as well.

Regards.....Gerald

8. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Maybe you have a batch of STS hulls that are too short in overall length ? Otherwise, I cant think of a reason you would have trouble with STS if the machine is set up correctly for the new AA hull.

9. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

Now that is something I did not even think to check. I will check that out. As far as the machine goes it is set up just fine for the AA's They look just like factory shells.

Steve

10. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

I checked the shell length and they are the same as the AA's. The shells that did load up with no problems look great. Just like a factory shell. I wonder if they are sticking in the final stage(8) and too much pressure is being exerted to force the shell out the bottom creating a hollow in the top.
    Steve

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Unless you have an 800B without taper crimp, on the final knockout station pieces of plastic cang get cut and wedged between the ram and the outer collar. Push up hard on the collar to compress the spring and look with a small mirror. Or just dissasemble and clean.A little plastic can make things goofy. Jeff

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Check the depth of the wad in the shell at station 4. Is it going as deep as your AA's and wad? Make your adjustments starting at that station. Then proceed to the first crimp station. Are you folding enough material in? Proceed to next station. Sill have a hole? Add more material in the first crimp station. Continue adjusting until a good shell comes out.

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

My 800+ loads STS's, Premiers (got a lot of old hulls) and CF AA's with no adjustments whatsoever.

Don't load GM, so I can't say about those.

Tony

14. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

I own a PW800B and I have the same problem but with AA Remington shells work fine for me

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. The newer AA has that taper in the bottom which if using a lighter load it holds the wad up to a higher position. Then goto a Remington and the wad sits lower causing the same load to not be as high.

I just switched wads to one that had a 1/8" higher shot cup for the Remingtons. Interesting thing was both wads stated they were for 1 oz but when you put them side by side the shot floor was different.

16. dls guide

dls guide Member

Generally it should be just the opposite. The HS AA hulls are the shortest hull I reload, but I have an 800+ and load all three major brands of hulls without adjustment. What wads are you using in the AA, and are you using it in the sts hulls? If I do any adjustment at all to make the reloads look factory, it is to raise or lower the pre-crimp. Lower it to close up the win AA and raise it for the for the fed GM hulls. If you have you press adjusted right you should be able to load both hulls to factory specs.

17. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

CB1118-12 (WAA12)
    For use in 1 to 1-5/8 oz. trap, skeet, sporting clays or hunting loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.
    This is the wad I am using for my AA's and suposidly they can be used in the Remingtons shells as well. Like I said some of the Remingtons shells came out like factory. But quite a few gave me grief.

I have a PW 900 so when one shell gets messed up it is an ordeal to clear out the problem. You just have to think it out before you start pulling the handle to clear the problem shell out.
    Steve

18. dls guide

dls guide Member

I use the cb0118 orange wad and can load both hulls inter-changeably. Your wad is very similar to mine, only difference is color. I am also in a quandary. I guess I would just load AA's and trade the STS's away.

19. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I have had the same problems using PW800+ and solved them in the following way. First, the shell crimp rollover problem is caused by too much crimp starter which probably was lowered to try and close the Remington hull better. Secondly, the Remington hull has more volume and needs a taller wad with the components you are using. I found that the wad that worked in the Remington also works in new style AA hull just fine.

After a number of adjustment trial and error I can load without touching the machine adjustments using the Gray 7/8 wad Remington Gun Club/STS/Nitro and AA new style all with the same wad and Federal Top Gun/Gold Medal with the 12SO wad. All hulls come out looking like factory without any machine adjustments. I use the same components and volumes across all these hull types.

Regards

20. likes-to-shoot

Have you tried 1 1/8 oz of shot to see what happens?

I would wonder about the wad if its designed for such a wide variance of shot charges. To me 1 oz to 1 5/8 oz is a good size jump in my opinion.

I have never loaded 1 1/16 just 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz and I use only factory wads for the shot charge I am loading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
final crimp ponsness warren
ponsness and warren adjust crimp closure
ponsness and warren ajustments
ponsness warren crimp adjustments with dfferent hulls like mec

ponsness warren forum

ponsness warren reloaders issues
ponsness-warren forum
winchester aa hs crimp problems ponsness