1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren on Air hydraulic video

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I remember a while back there was some discussion on if a PW will or would even work on air/hydraulic. I am here to tell you it works fine. This setup will cost you just a smidge under 350 bux. It is very cost effective for guys that have air readily available. If you need to go buy a compressor you are better off with electric. It will work on PSI as low as 120# but works best around 130-140. Here is my 13 year old son running it and he clicked off 300 plus rounds in no time. This is the second time he has run it so you can see he is a little slow at it but in time it will be second nature.
    <a href="http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r320/himark900/?action=view&current=wyattvideoreloading.flv" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Got some details for us on this setup? Construction plans? Parts list & sources?

I've got a 5 hp compressor with a 70 gal tank that should do the trick!

Kiv

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

Just an observation, and maybe you are already aware of the need.

The need to limit the in and out travel of the air piston is obvious as the machine "racks" quite a bit. That isn't good for the machine or your bench. Premature wear and excessive maintainence costs are in your future.

Very interesting concept, just the same.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

The bench is not very sturdy so you do see the machine wiggle some. Its not from overpreasure but more from a fold out temp bench.

The parts are,
    USF-4302 Foot valve
    D-90793-1-5 Tank
    D-41528-a-8 cylinder both by Bimba
    PW speed adjuster

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Lots of PM's bout the parts. I bought them at Mark Hydraulic in Omaha.

6. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I remember reading a thread about hydraulics on a PW awhile back that said this couldn't be done. Just wondering about this set up since almost everybody said it couldn't be done????

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

I am a Journeyman machine repairman and have done quite a bit of work with air over oil applications. Your system looks to work well. Since it is oil you can control press speed quite well with no slamming. Adjusting air pressure to primary ram will adjust total PSI at press cylinder.

I had the same thought also but never moved on this concept because of the noise of an air compressor in my basement would upset wife. My 2 cents: One point I would like to make for anyone moving on this is it uses quite a bit of CFM of air so make sure your can maintain a constant pressure during operation and the duty cycle of your compressor can deal with it. Hey if the kid doesn't mine noise what the heck. FYI: Cylinders and valves are available at granger.com and mcmastercarr.com if anyone plans to build one.

8. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

For those who don't know, Mark Hydraulics is run by some very serious skeet shooters who do a lot of reloading. They have perfected several air system in their spare time. I have seen them first hand and was impressed with their designing. They even help coach trap kids here in Nebraska so they can't be all that bad. LOL Thanks for helping the kids guys. IMHO Omaha

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Agreed...the fellas at Mark Hydraulic are grade A in my book! FYI, a fellow worker here has the same set up and uses a craftsman home version 20 gallon tank and it only cycles at about 20-30 shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.