1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren - Maybe better than Dillon????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I had a surprising call from PW today. They called me regarding a comment I made on another thread here on TS.com I had shared my experience that the Shell Feeder would not keep up with their Electic drive.

When Dick called, I told him that at times the shell plate would stall out. I would then have to shut off the power, move the plate backward about an inch and restart the unit. Dick thinks the motor may be at fault adn told me to ship it back and they would go over it and make any necessary repairs at no cost and pay the return shipping.

After all the bad press I have seen here about PW Customer Service I was amazed. I am no Top Gun so I am not getting special consideration.

I have always known that PW had a better shotshell reloader than Dillon. Now I can say their support is top notch too.

Don Verna

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I sold my Dillon SL 900 for a P/W 800+ and have never looked back. I have enjoyed it immensely.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bought my first PW close to 40 years ago an 800B I think . I,v had two or three never a bad one . Bought a new Dillon when they first came out and used it for three or four weeks I Sent it back . I love Dillon reloading stuff but not the SL 900

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You are both wacked out. No way, I have had both.

5. wivanr

wivanr Member

I agree with goose2 the 800PLUS is the best loader going.

6. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

I bleed Dillon blue and have not had any problems at all with my SL900. I do have over 15 years of using their 650, about 40-50,000 rounds per year of pistol ammo, so the SL900 was a no brainer for me. Glad to hear PW backs their product, certainly wouldn't hesitate to try one.

Rich

7. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

I bleed Dillon blue and have not had any problems at all with my SL900. I do have over 15 years of using their 650, about 40-50,000 rounds per year of pistol ammo, so the SL900 was a no brainer for me. Glad to hear PW backs their product, certainly wouldn't hesitate to try one.

Rich

8. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

started with a 800b, would not consider a change,150-175 done shells in 15 minutes,with once fired sts hulls hard to tell the differance in finished shell from factory.bought the 800 b used for $250,best inexpensive reloading equipment deal i ever got,and will ever own,this press is a tank,loaded over 100k in the last 5 yrs,who knows hoe many before me,my kids will still be useing it long after im gone.mark

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been migrating up in the world of reloading. Starting with a used MEC Grabber then went the MEC 9000 route, now I'm using the Dillon SL900. Awsome machine. I heard great things about P&W and Spolar. Not ready to take that next step. One minus is no 410 die for the SL900. That may make me switch.
    It is amazing how many companies monitor this forum. Dave T.

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The Dillon is the fastest machine I know of. I only changed to a Spolar because of problems with my elbow.

The Dillon has a learning curve, but once it clicks in your brain, once you see how it works, it is easy to use, easy to maintain and, did I mention that it is fast? I say this about maintaining the SL900 yet those who know me realize I am the most non-mechanical person in the world (or close to it).

But once you understand it, it is easy to run. And, to take the head off and change gauges.

The PW may be fine, but I have heard the horror stories about double-charging. While I don't know if they are true, I know they stopped me from even considering one.

Dillon was unable to make the 410 work, I am told, because the speed at which it operates slings shot too badly to be viable.

Heck, even a MEC 9000 can sling a little bit so one can imagine how the Dillon would throw it out of the case before the starter crimp station.

But, for smooth and completely trouble free, you ought to see my Spolar Hydraulic.

Bob

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

shot410ga

"You are both wacked out. No way, I have had both."

Lets see dverna, goose2, and ALF-99 have posted which both of the three are you referring to? just might be the reason you don't like PW you need to pay attention to detail. Not like you statement above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both are fine machines that will produce good shells. I am well satisfied with my PW 2000. Others are happy with their Dillon.

The only service problems I have had with my PW involve communication. Once, I asked for the "little round thing that makes the plate go around" and the factory wanted to talk about parts numbers and not little round things. I suppose that was my problem and not a PW service problem.

Pat Ireland

PS- Both Whiz and Jim Cunningham knew what the little round thing was and Whiz sent me the part that goes into the little round thing and told me I needed that also. He was right.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Shot410ga,
    I have owned 7 Dillon's. I now have 4 - all metallic. One that is no longer with me was a 900sl. Even the factory could not get it set up to make what I consider a good crimp. Maybe I just had a lemon.

I suspect you do not have enough experience to call me a wacko. I have owned two PW's, a Dillon, three MEC's, and I also use a Spolar. This gives me a good base of experience to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of these machines.

The point of my post was to commend PW for what they have offered to do to help a customer. I know first hand that Dillon has great customer service but I also know that their 900sl cannot compare to either a PW or Spolar.

Even if the Dillon I owned could produce a factory crimped shell, it would have been sold. I typically load 800-2000 shells at a time. Dillon uses the same case feeder for the 900 that they use for their metallic loaders. It is much too small (80 hulls) and needs to be refilled constantly. Their lack of a larger primer tray also prevents it from being a good machine for long runs.

If you are happy with your Dillon, that is OK with me. You are not a wacko, but I suspect you do not reload more than 10,000 rounds a year - or if you do, you have more time to devote to the enterprise than I do.

Don Verna

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don: I don't recall talking about the Spolar. Which, I consider being the top of the line. In terms of reloaders. Although I don't like the fact a Spolar will drop a load of powder or shot without a shell in position. PW is a good machine, no dought. To many people use them, not to be. I just did not have much luck with mine. The Dillons (I have two SL9000's) work perfect 99.9% of the time. And I do make at least 10K of reloads per year with perfect crimps, I might add. The only better crimps I've ever seen come from a friends Spolar. To each his own, just don't claim a PW is better than a Dillon. Because, many disagree. Maybe Wacko was to strong a word to use.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have owned both..and a pile of Dillon 1000's.. Both are excellent.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Wacko sounded about right to me

17. wivanr

wivanr Member

I have had the best customer service from Tawnia and Bruce at P/W that anyone could ever expect.800PLUS owner and a happy camper.

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well not wanting to be called "whacked out", I would chose a P/W over a Dillon and I now use a Spolar. P/W appears to be making a real effort to correct the minor problems and provide customer service. Contact Whiz white for your P/W. Fred

19. mt92

mt92 Member

It is not even close, if Dillon had a .410 setup I would never have to deal with a P/W again.
    I would not trade my SL-900 for any press!
    Just one mans opinion.

20. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I have always loved my P/W's and I have owned 6 of them and worked my way up to the 800 plus.
    A friend was going to sell all of his mecs and get the 800+ and the tooling for all the gauges like I have and we were discussing it when he started to look at some of my shells. He noticed that sometimes I have pretty lousey crimps on my 28ga reloads and I told him that it seems to happen at the pre-crimp stage when the die doesn't turn enough to follow the folds of the hull.He said if thats what he can expect from a P/W he wasn't any better off than he is currently with his mecs.
    He told me that he was sure that P/W had a pre-crimp die that had a wire starter that would follow the folds of the hull similar to what they have on the .410 tooling and I should call them and ask about getting it for the 28ga. I called the factory and was told that they did have such a thing and it used to be standard on the earlier presses but they came up with what they thought was an improved pre-crimp that didn't need the wire starter and that is what is on my machine. They did find that the new one didn't necessarily work better or as good as the old design and they still have the old design one available and I could purchase it. I was OK with that until they told me the price, I about choked and that was without shipping costs figured in which is always way overcharged by Ponsness. Well I told her I would have to think long and hard about that. My problem is I spent the long dollar to get the Cadillac of reloaders and now why should I have to spend upwards of $50 to get an old design part that will work better to replace what they thought would be an improved design and isn't. Everytime I have to get a part from them I feel like I'm going into the Harley shop for a part(dig deep in those pockets) and a lot of times it is for a little item that should be warranted but isn't, so I pay big coin for a small item that could be dropped in an envelope and mailed out for about .75 cents yet I end up having to pay several dollars on top of it for shipping. I haven't talked yet with my buddy that was thinking about going to all P/W's and I've kept my dissatisfaction to myself so far because I've talked up P/W so much that I hate to look the fool but I am kind of tired of their service or lack of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponnes-warren vs dillon sl900